Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

I put my Hand Crafted PXLZ into JB's 815 today and have to say I was very impressed, JB had the perfect comment for it and that was "that looks like its gonna be an expensive experiment" and he may be right.

It's a pretty filthy combo. I may have to bite the bullet on this one, but I'll wait for the live driver testing to confirm it all. What's a month at this rate right?

I just picked one of these up...when screwing in the gravity core "cap" is there any click to know it's locked in or is it just feel?

I just picked one of these up...when screwing in the gravity core "cap" is there any click to know it's locked in or is it just feel?
When the wrench clicks once your good.

Yes, keep twisting until you hear the click of your torque wrench. Can't over tighten with the torque wrench.

Yes, keep twisting until you hear the click of your torque wrench. Can't over tighten with the torque wrench.
Thanks...I will keep turning...I just didn't want to strip any threads

Nothing super concrete but I was getting something in the 2800 range with the Alpha and about 3000 with the regular XR. I have the DBD which was avg mid 2500s. Really wanting to try the pro head. (Side note- did use the Rogue shaft in both heads)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit the XR and DBD last week but only got 5 balls each on the launch monitor. My average spin was 2080 with the DBD and 2410 with the XR. I'm told the CG on the XR Pro is almost identical to the DBD with the weight down so I'm 95% likely to buy a XR Pro with the hand crafted PX LZ 60 6.5 shaft when it comes out I just need to get on a launch monitor and decide what loft. These new PX LZ shafts are a very, very good for my swing and I love the matte black finish on the XR. I'd buy the XR Pro just for it's looks!

In the mean time I picked up a Cobra Fly Z+ on eBay to get me by for the next month as it was stupid easy to hit straight with a high, flat flight both times I demoed it last week. They Fly Z+ with the weight forward is also a low spin bomber - I was getting 2200 RPM's, 15.5 launch with 160mph ball speed. I've only been on a good launch monitor a handful of times in the last 8 years but I don't ever remember averaging 160mph, I'm usually max out in the 153-155 range so either my swing is getting better or my memory is shot.

The LZ paired with the 815 might be the perfect setup for me. I've struggled with driver lately, but I hit a lot great drives today. Easy to launch, forgiving and long. It's fun to hit.

The LZ paired with the 815 might be the perfect setup for me. I've struggled with driver lately, but I hit a lot great drives today. Easy to launch, forgiving and long. It's fun to hit.
The LZ50 I'm using is a blaaaaaaast in this one. Such a fun head.

The LZ50 I'm using is a blaaaaaaast in this one. Such a fun head.
I have the 50 too, it's so awesome isn't it.

My expirement with this club is over. Moving on to Nike Flex or Ping i25. These two give me better launch,spin and distance.

Been going back and forth with the LZ HandCrafted and the LZ (that comes in XR) for my driver here. I like them both quite a bit, so think I am going to run with the regular LZ, which is a bit softer to flex in some areas (when comparing to HandCrafted) and lighter by about 10 grams.

Driving the ball right now better than I ever have distance wise, so not going to make too many changes.

Did you switch from DBD to regular 815?

You should try my 815 with D + in it, it is a great combo

Hoping we're at the same event sometime this year so I can do that! I'd like to try a few different setups to see if I can tell a difference.

I know that shaft ;) won't be good enough in April though
I can't wait until mid april, we are going to have a blast. You need to.come to Branson sometime this summer :)
You were 100.percent correct that shaft is perfect for me

Lets keep this to the driver please guys. Thank you.

I was able to hit 5/13 fairways at the outing on Friday with the 815 on the tight course. With two other drives being just off in the first cut. I can't rave enough about the forgiveness and consistent ball speed I see with the 815. The Diamana shaft provides a smooth feel for my quick transition that I really enjoy.

I was able to hit 5/13 fairways at the outing on Friday with the 815 on the tight course. With two other drives being just off in the first cut. I can't rave enough about the forgiveness and consistent ball speed I see with the 815. The Diamana shaft provides a smooth feel for my quick transition that I really enjoy.

I freaking love the S+ and 815 combo. So so so solid for me.

I hit the XR and DBD last week but only got 5 balls each on the launch monitor. My average spin was 2080 with the DBD and 2410 with the XR. I'm told the CG on the XR Pro is almost identical to the DBD with the weight down so I'm 95% likely to buy a XR Pro with the hand crafted PX LZ 60 6.5 shaft when it comes out I just need to get on a launch monitor and decide what loft. These new PX LZ shafts are a very, very good for my swing and I love the matte black finish on the XR. I'd buy the XR Pro just for it's looks!

In the mean time I picked up a Cobra Fly Z+ on eBay to get me by for the next month as it was stupid easy to hit straight with a high, flat flight both times I demoed it last week. They Fly Z+ with the weight forward is also a low spin bomber - I was getting 2200 RPM's, 15.5 launch with 160mph ball speed. I've only been on a good launch monitor a handful of times in the last 8 years but I don't ever remember averaging 160mph, I'm usually max out in the 153-155 range so either my swing is getting better or my memory is shot.

The XR pro is $$$$. I've hit both 815 and XR Pro and honest you can't go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been going back and forth with the LZ HandCrafted and the LZ (that comes in XR) for my driver here. I like them both quite a bit, so think I am going to run with the regular LZ, which is a bit softer to flex in some areas (when comparing to HandCrafted) and lighter by about 10 grams.

Driving the ball right now better than I ever have distance wise, so not going to make too many changes.
Are you bringing the LZ to the Old Silo event JB?

I'm going to swap out the Rouge for the White Tie and see what I see carry distance wise.

I freaking love the S+ and 815 combo. So so so solid for me.
My S+ 757 Evolution arrives tomorrow. I cannot wait to to game it.

Got a good range session in with it on Sunday the weather was nice and warm and the ball was really moving for the first time since i got the Driver. After my session on sunday i do not think that i am giving up any yardage to the SLDR with the 815 it is just as long i do not get as much carry but the roll out is back that is one thing that i missed with the SLDR. The forgivness was still great most shots went straight which was amazing since i have not had any time to swing the clubs in 3 weeks due to moving. even after a few months i am still very impressed with this driver it is the best combo of Forgivness and lenght that i have played

Back