The Official Tiger Woods Thread

And it's sad because you are an old school ball striker that understands the game and its ebs n flow. If an old dog like you,that can appreciate the sound of a well struct ball, does look beyond Tiger. Then it saddens me cuz I think to know I can talk to someone that appreciates the game and not just one guy.

You know I appreciate the game and what goes in to it, we've had enough discussions over the years to validate that for both of us. I watch golf regularly but because I don't find it terribly exciting anymore doesn't mean I'm not a fan, it simply means I don't find it terribly exciting lol. Could be me, my career taking priority and focus, could be my success as a player has peaked and I've come to accept it, could be I lost my desire a bit, could be a number of things. I grew up in the era of Tiger golf so yes I am a fan, biased? no, very objective? absolutely and you know that, you are the same way. Rory is awesome but not one of my favorites, I like Fowler, Zach, Day, Sergio, Rose, and a few more, those are my guys, those are the guys I look for regularly and if they're not in the hunt it kind of becomes blah, just as it did when Tiger was at his pinnacle and out of the hunt. It doesn't mean I don't love the game for the game lol.

Like I said, maybe there are other things or distractions, but I just don't find the fire in the game watching or playing right now very dynamic.

That's fine, you won't watch a Tigerless pga. And it seems a few on here won't either. But plenty more are.

Rory makes a bad showing this week after 4 weeks of now play. If he strings togther 6 weeks of this, let me know. If golfers, im.talk I ng guys that l I've golf can't get behind the current crop of players, its sad. Everyine needs to realize golf has more than turned the corner and could very well be 'the rest of guys' tour. And from where is sit, I like the guys in tour. I like watching good golf and good golf shots. I'm not sure what everyone else is watching.

Several years ago I used to be this way. I would t watch if tiger wasn't playing. Then 3-4 years ago I started watching other players and started enjoying watching the tournaments again regardless of who was in the lead or playing. Lots of guys on tour that will carry golf for awhile. Spieth, Fowler, English, Reed, Billy ho and a bunch of others not to mention guys that had some success in majors a few years ago that look like they can do it again in Bradley, McDowell, Stenson. The game of golf itself has some stars in the making and then there is what Rory is doing. Som many #1s and top 3s in his last 10 tournaments

im not sure how you think Rory is the other star. He is out in front but not even close to the only star on tour.

And based on on what you said, if TW comes back strong you're ok with a wife cheating, no autograph signing, fbomb dropping, do as I as say when I say guy as the tours posters boy. Reed shows heart on the course, Jordan golfs his ball, bubba is an acquired taste but still sells tickets because when he is on is hard to beat.

I want and tw to do well, because he is fun to watch. But he is not the end all and be all for the tour any longer and hasn't been for quite some time, deposits what cbs and TGC might report.

i suppose you mean "only" star, not "other" star. and yes, i absolutely believe he is the only star in the eyes of casual fans. people who will watch when the nfl isn't on, or the only other option is track and field. to us, there are tons of stars we love to watch, and for the most part we'll continue to watch even when tw quits. but as far as people who are the poster-child for the game, the biggest draw to the casual fan, it's tiger then rory, and tiger hasn't shown that he is currently capable of winning.

and i have no idea how you made the leap that i am ok with tiger as a person. but you said it yourself: he's fun to watch. that's all i mean. i'm having trouble finding recent data on ratings gaps when tiger is contention vs when he isn't in contention, but i know going back to when he was dominant the gap was massive.

i love watching spieth. i want to like reed, but sometimes he makes it hard. i share the same faith as bubba, and i've heard as many stories of him being a genuinely good guy as i've heard that he is an a$$, so i'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt. but the only one of those 3 who can move the needle with casual fans is bubba, and i don't think he wants to be the face of golf.

the biggest draw to the casual fan, it's tiger then rory, and tiger hasn't shown that he is currently capable of winning.

Actually its Tiger then Phil then Rory right now in terms of US viewership.

interesting, but I was talking about who I see as a star who actually has a chance to win every time he tees it up. I love seeing Phil play well, but I get the feeling that his heart just isn't in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting, but I was talking about who I see as a star who actually has a chance to win every time he tees it up. I love seeing Phil play well, but I get the feeling that his heart just isn't in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I understand that, I was just going on what was posted "The biggest draw to the casual fan", and wanted to make sure the correct info was there.

Where does Ricky fall into this JB?

Pro golf is the pinnacle of our game, I don't see a difference. Fans of the game are typically fans of the top level people in the game. Flag foot players don't just follow flag football, they live all things football. Pickup game guys at the local gym don't travel to local gyms to shoot hoops, they live hoops. The same holds true for fans of the game of golf.theu watch the best because they want to see what is possible and share some bond with the games best.

The difference is that not everybody is the same. I know plenty of people who play sports who don't enjoy watching the professionals play. Just as I know plenty of people who eat, breathe, and drink everything about specific sports. The one example that comes right to mind for me is bowling. I love to go bowling with my friends, but I honestly can't even name a professional or famous bowler. It doesn't mean I don't respect or enjoy bowling, I just have no interest in professional bowling.

Where does Ricky fall into this JB?

I assume you mean Rickie Fowler and not Ricky Barnes. :alien:
As of right now, he doesn't. Hard to say a guy moves the needle with a lone win a few years ago and while he finished well at each Major this year, his coverage was limited outside of his spots with other big time players so there is literally no data.

I would say Rickie helps move merchandise more than he does viewership. I hope he can pull off some wins this year and will be interested to see if that helps move the needle of golf fans. I have noticed with him over the last year+ outside of the orange he has toned down the colors/scheme.

I would say Rickie helps move merchandise more than he does viewership. I hope he can pull off some wins this year and will be interested to see if that helps move the needle of golf fans. I have noticed with him over the last year+ outside of the orange he has toned down the colors/scheme.

On the soft good side. Not sure how Cobra golf product he moves. TW is pretty similar in that respect.

I'm absolutely loving watching golf now with all the new young talent. And they are all SO good at such an early age. It will be fun to watch them compete over the years.

Agree. He probably isn't having any influence in golf equipment sales.

Especially chipping clubs. Maybe he should try a Niblick.

I see short fat guys in rickie garb all the time. This guy moves the needle more than people give him credit for.

I see short fat guys in rickie garb all the time. This guy moves the needle more than people give him credit for.

I'm taller than you give me credit for.:alien:

From a clothing/shoes perspective I am sure he moves the needle a lot, just don't think me has an impact on cobra clubs.

From a clothing/shoes perspective I am sure he moves the needle a lot, just don't think me has an impact on cobra clubs.

I don't think I've seen anybody using Cobra clubs at my course. Or Nike either. I see lots of Taylormade, Callaway, and Titleist. And the occasional PING.

Masters.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not surprising, still a bummer for those of us that enjoy watching him though

Not surprising, still a bummer for those of us that enjoy watching him though
It is, but at least he is not taking someone else's spot in the hope he plays well

Hey, I got a TW prediction right.

Back