Just give me the easiest thing made to launch and I'll figure out what to do from there.

I love this statement, because this is where I was at for the better half of my golfing life. In all honesty, up until last year this is where my head was at. Until I got a coach and lessons on a regular basis, did I actually learn my 'real' golf game and that has put me where I am at now. Tuning my game around new sticks, then more lessons, then new toys, and more lessons.... Always getting back to the main goal of trying to progress as well as just have FUN!!!!

A couple examples of my 3W use.

Typical bogey golf usage:

dPwoSGU.png

Getting lucky for par (note it's a very short par 5, so I got a par not a bogey):

sA5zNoC.png

Learning why it's called a "fairway wood" and not a "rough after 3 from the tee" wood (can you say blow-up hole?):

qqR7Atz.png

(I *really* love Arccos. A shot tracker of some kind is the best way to learn about your game.)

I need to look into Arccos next... damn all these cool toys we have available!!

The top two are pretty close to my play with the exception that I am about 10-30 longer off the tee. Which then impacts me reaching for my 3w/h or 4h. And to some of the points through out this thread just clubbing down and hitting a safe 7i laying up to keep me out of trouble from flying left or right of the green.

The top two are pretty close to my play with the exception that I am about 10-30 longer off the tee. Which then impacts me reaching for my 3w/h or 4h. And to some of the points through out this thread just clubbing down and hitting a safe 7i laying up to keep me out of trouble from flying left or right of the green.
If you really hit a 3w and 3h about the same distance, I'd argue that you either have a gapping problem with your particular hybrids or you don't hit your fairway woods as well as you should. I don't play hybrids, but I hit my 3i significantly shorter than my 3w. That last hole I linked above is typical--that was a really good 3i shot for me that just happened to not go straight. My understanding is that a "standard" bag should have a 3w, 5w, then 3i for gapping, with a 3h replacing the 3i to be easier to hit, but the same distance. I could be wrong though, I'm still new to all this and figuring out the long end of my bag.

If you really hit a 3w and 3h about the same distance, I'd argue that you either have a gapping problem with your particular hybrids or you don't hit your fairway woods as well as you should. I don't play hybrids, but I hit my 3i significantly shorter than my 3w. That last hole I linked above is typical--that was a really good 3i shot for me that just happened to not go straight. My understanding is that a "standard" bag should have a 3w, 5w, then 3i for gapping, with a 3h replacing the 3i to be easier to hit, but the same distance. I could be wrong though, I'm still new to all this and figuring out the long end of my bag.
There is no standard bag only the bag setup that works for you. Myself I carry a 15 degree fairway and a 19 degree hybrid and then go to my 4 iron. I do this so I can have more options at bottom of my bag. I do have a decent sized gap between my hybrid and 4 iron however I rarely find myself at that distance and if I do I just go easy on the hybrid.

When making a bag setup try to do what best works for you. If that is carrying a 3,5,7,9 and 11 wood (just an example) so be it if it works for you that is the setup you should have. So many options out there that confuse us all but if you get the right setup for you it makes the game much easier

Dave: Those pictures look familiar to me, and was kind of what I was talking about with respect to the need for a FW. Maybe my yardages are 15-20 yards longer, but the end lines are about the same as are the FW use cases.

Sadly, I can relate to that blow up hole. I'll string together a good run but have it marred by an "other." The other is almost always started by a bad tee shot.

If you really hit a 3w and 3h about the same distance, I'd argue that you either have a gapping problem with your particular hybrids or you don't hit your fairway woods as well as you should.

That's what sent me down this whole quest in the first place. My 3w and 3h that I have had in and out of my bag up to this point suck in my hands... it's almost comical. They just were not well suited for me. I have survived by using my 4h and 5i up to this point in an effort to progress down the hole and shoot for bogey, but I know that I needed something to fill that 180-210 range. Now that I have these XRs to test with, I hope to have the problem solved.

Hey there fellow Alamo City Resident,

Let me know if the XR's don't work out as I have a Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 3-wood you can demo. I too had issues with 3 woods but the larger head in this club really gave me the forgiveness I needed until I worked out my fairway wood issues. After lots of practicing. I now hit my fairway woods as good as any club in my bag so I don't need this setup any longer.

And boy you're brave to go out and demo clubs with the weather we're having here in San Antonio!

And boy you're brave to go out and demo clubs with the weather we're having here in San Antonio!

Thank you good sir, I will keep the offer in mind.

As far as the weather, I see it this way. My son sent me a text from school wanting to go, so I will not let him down. Not to mention, if you can't demo in perfect conditions, might as well give it a shot in the slop since perfect is rarely played in.

Dave: Those pictures look familiar to me, and was kind of what I was talking about with respect to the need for a FW. Maybe my yardages are 15-20 yards longer, but the end lines are about the same as are the FW use cases.

Sadly, I can relate to that blow up hole. I'll string together a good run but have it marred by an "other." The other is almost always started by a bad tee shot.

ryebread have you played a round of golf leaving your fairway woods and hybrids at home?
I say this so that you will learn your game and how to manage your way around the course with what you have. I realize that laying up to full shots doesn't work for everybody but it seems to for me. A 450 yard par 4 could be a 200 yard shot and then a 150 so I have a 100 yard shot or you could hit two 125 yard shots and what I like about this approach is you get a practice shot with the same club you will hit the next shot with. I prefer full shots although I really don't mind the half, three quarter or shorter shots. I guess it comes as second nature to me since I have always had manage my way around a golf course with a very limited game.

I've struggled to find a decent 3 wood for years. I've now come to the conclusion that I just can't use one off the deck. Instead, I have my own little frankenwood. It's an 18 degree 3 wood that is great both off the tee and deck. My 3 hybrid is one of my favorite clubs on the bag. It's a Cleveland Classic. Love it. Have now decided I want to get the H4 and replace my 4 iron, but I can't find one in the spec I want anywhere :(

Update: Got about 6 holes in before the weather beat me and my son into submission. Nice thing was, we had the course to ourselves so I got to reload several shots and really play around with the club.

3w: 173yds 212yds 185yds 189yds off the tee and 165yds 172yds 141yds 181yds 158yds off the deck

I excluded my miss hits where I topped the ball or heeled it trying to over swing, which made up around 4 or 5 shots.

Taking into consideration that the windchill was down to about 24f and the wind and rain were starting to cut us in half, I was really impressed with how well I hit the club compared to my Adams 3h that has been giving me fits.

Overall I am very pleased. I sprayed it a bit and certainly was not consistent with my distances, but I was really trying to focus on feel and impact. Which is damn hard to do when you can't feel your fingers. Can't wait to get back out there in warmer weather and give it another run.

Update: my Adams 3h that has been giving me fits.

You're not the only one. I had the 3h and 4h of that Adams and the 3 was the Mr. Hyde to the Dr. Jekyll 4. Same head shape, shaft, but there was something different about the 3 that made it a slice machine for me.

I wound up ditching all the Adams stuff I had... Figured out was only a matter of time before the 3h slices infected the rest. Now have a ping i25 3h and am much more pleased with it.

wound up ditching all the Adams stuff I had...

That is the direction I am going. I've always had good luck with them, but recently they have killed me. I don't know if it is my game changing, not matching up anymore, or what. My Adams 4h is still in my bag and serviceable because of how I use it. I call it Mickelson because I pull it out when I am in the trash left or right and need to advance the ball with a low flight punch... which is often.

The only Fairway wood I have ever had in the bag that I have been 100% confident that I wont shank is the Adams Tight Lies 16°. I used to have absolutely no shot at greens from 200+ because I couldnt hit a fairway. Once I picked up the Tight Lies and cut and inch off the shaft that fear is gone and it's a great feeling to have. I'm not saying it would work for you, but it sure does work for me.

The only Fairway wood I have ever had in the bag that I have been 100% confident that I wont shank is the Adams Tight Lies 16°.

The Tight Lies was among the clubs I tested and liked it. When it came down to the short list of 3 clubs however, it fell off the list due to comfort. There was something about the feel that I was hesitant on.

ryebread have you played a round of golf leaving your fairway woods and hybrids at home?
I say this so that you will learn your game and how to manage your way around the course with what you have. I realize that laying up to full shots doesn't work for everybody but it seems to for me. A 450 yard par 4 could be a 200 yard shot and then a 150 so I have a 100 yard shot or you could hit two 125 yard shots and what I like about this approach is you get a practice shot with the same club you will hit the next shot with. I prefer full shots although I really don't mind the half, three quarter or shorter shots. I guess it comes as second nature to me since I have always had manage my way around a golf course with a very limited game.

I've played a 9 like that here and there. I've gone further than that and left the driver in the bag as well. I've had some nice runs of holes, but when I do miss a tee shot it becomes painful.

Really, my problem the last couple of years is that I've played very few rounds. It doesn't leave me with much time to experiment on the course because I feel like I have to "make every round count." Once the weather warms up, I'm hoping to start a weekly round early in the morning. That will get me more course time and thus more time to try out different things.

I know it's 10 year old technology, but the old taylormade rescue (the first model) is a club I still love but wanted a little more distance. I found that they made a "3 rescue wood" which was a little deeper than the standard hybrid. Shorter shaft than a wood, like the hybrid. It goes like the clappers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Looks like I can wrap up this topic for my hunt. Played 18 today and the Callaway XR 3w was the most solid fairway wood I have ever hit. I am just totally impressed with how easy it is to swing and how consistent it is.

I only ran into one small little problem... with only 3 rounds on it, the ferrule cracked.

8a952c19903851a9a4446cb00370f70d.jpg

All ended well, the shop I got it from swapped it out no questions asked.

Glad you found a winner!

Back