Tight budget golfer advice

You weren't very specific in what you're looking to accomplish... do you want a new swing, add 40 yards, improve your short game, etc?

What's wrong with your current game? Slice, hook, fade, draw, etc?

These guys have it right with Freddie Kong and his swing tip forum. He can help.

Also, check your fundamentals. Grip. Alignment. Stance. Distance from the ball. Ball position in your stance.

I put up a net on the side of the house for about $100. I can go out anytime and practice "ball first" contact and even video a few swings to see what it looks like. I can't see ball flight of course, but I can work on one specific thing at a time to make my range/play more effective.

My dad took 5 years off from golf after having some back problems. Last year, he took golf back up. He took one lesson, and the pro just made him tweak a few things. The pro had one goal in mind for my dad, which was hit the ball somewhat straight. He didn't fill my dad's head with 20 swing thoughts, he didn't even try to explain why something in the swing was supposed to be one way or the other. He just got him hitting the ball.

It cost $50, and my dad's enjoyment of the game last year increased ten fold as a result of just one simple lesson to get back into the game. So honestly, I'd say start with one lesson, and let that get you some sort of foundation for the game.

~Rock

+1

I would heartily agree. What you want to make sure of is that your grip is correct. If it isn't, you will be trying/changing all sorts of things in your swing to hit the ball and none of them will be the correct fix because the grip is wrong. If you are going to pound balls and develop "a swing", make sure the basics foundation of grip, posture and alignment are correct. Otherwise, all you are going to do is groove a lot of bad habits. It's worth $50 or so to get a good blueprint, you can do the "contracting" to build the swing then.

With young kids it's hard to get out. I agree with everyone on here. Take a couple of lessons and then practice at home. I have a mat, 50 foam balls, a couple of mirrors and a sheet set up in my furnace room. I've practiced a lot with this and it's really helped when I've had the chance to play. Once your youngest is in full time school, you can have the opportunity to get out more and you will already have your foundation set through the practice you put in at home. IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would caution too much time spent on swing thoughts. If you dont get to play a lot the worse thing you can do is fill your head with 20 swing thoughts between rounds. Il repeat what someone said earlier and that is to know what you want out of it. Write down your goals for this year (realistic) and meet them. Dont associate your goals with a handicap number but rather broader goals.

For example:
Play 2 rounds per month in May-June-July-Aug
Set a new personal best
Become great at (________) ***My suggestion is to become good at Putting or chipping since that can be done at home.

I know my time to have this same conversation with myself will be coming. I have had conversations with my wife about it and it's all about compromise but also creativity. I honestly think until you have enough time and money to spend on practicing the things you learn from lessons that you should put money towards having fun on the golf course. If you spend 100$ on 2 lessons and have no time to practice what you covered in those lessons you mine as well flush the money down the toilet.

If you really want to work on your swing and think you can do it at home. I would suggest the THP method and posting a video and seeing if you can take your progress to the range and ultimately the course.

Lots of good advice so far. I would also recommend getting Hogan's Five Fundamentals and reading it to give yourself a good understanding of the fundamentals of golf. My dad gave it to me when I was 13 because we definitely didn't have money for lessons. If you're of average athletic ability and are wiling to put in the time, everything you need to know to break 85 is in thist book. Certainly lessons will get you there faster, but it can only help to study the principles that are in Hogan's book.

Too late for this semester, but you might check out local community colleges. Some offer golf classes.
Basically, a 1 hour group lesson over 16 weeks for the cost of a community college credit hour.
The ones that offer it around here include 1 or 2 Saturday options.

Also, you might try introducing your oldest to golf. My 6yo likes it a lot! I started taking her when she was 5 and let her putt once I got on the green.
Its a lot easier to get out for a pitch and putt round since I started taking her. I get some extra one on one time with her too.

I know this is dumb advice comparatively, but what about just appreciating the challenge of not being perfect? I know this doesn't work well when playing with people who get on the green in 2 shots, but when I hit one over into the trees that line the fairway I cannot help but get a little excited at the challenge that awaits.

If you have a driving range nearby ask them if they offer a monthly pass for all you can hit.

You can figure out a lot of stuff by yourself on the range if you put the time in

Back