Demo Iron Question

Philo1

Reaction score
Handicap
Greetings all. My question is regarding demo'ing a single iron from a set and comparing it to club performance throughout the set.

Can you tell from just playing one iron for a few days, if the entire set of irons is right for you?

Would you be confident making a purchase of an entire set of irons, if the ONE iron that you've been demo'ing has been nails and money all day long?

I've been playing a single Callaway Apex CF16 7 iron for several days now. Every time I put it in play; it's money. I'm very accurate with it. But, it doesn't get used as much as say my 5 iron or 8 iron out of my set. I began with a set of Callaway xhots and then switched to Mizuno JPX 850 Forged. I hit them very well on the simulator, but in real life game play, I'm having better luck with my xhots; even though they are in regular flex instead of stiff.

I've switched back to the Xhots and benched the 850's and I have been making better shots, and more consistent shots. After playing the Apex CF16....I'd really like to buy the whole set. But, I hate the 7 iron out of the Xhot set, and love the 6 and the 5.

So, I've literally experienced one iron in a set not being good for me, but the rest are.

I tried a Wilson C200 7 iron a few months ago and liked it a lot. I wouldn't trade my Callaway set in for Wilsons but I saw that 7 iron at Golfsmith for $14 and bought it. Used it in the last two rounds I played and will keep it in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, let me ask this. I'm considering the option of switching over to the Apex irons one at a time. I know the seven iron works well. I'm thinking about the 4 iron now.

The Apex CF16 4 iron is 21.5* and 38.50 inches. The Xhot 5 iron in my set is 23* and 38.50"

Do you think that with the CF technology and the lower loft I can expect to see ten yards more in distance with it in play, all things being equal...like proper swing and contact?

PS. I'm a leftie, and I don't have access to demo clubs like most of you all do; so that's why I'm asking.

OK, let me ask this. I'm considering the option of switching over to the Apex irons one at a time. I know the seven iron works well. I'm thinking about the 4 iron now.

The Apex CF16 4 iron is 21.5* and 38.50 inches. The Xhot 5 iron in my set is 23* and 38.50"

Do you think that with the CF technology and the lower loft I can expect to see ten yards more in distance with it in play, all things being equal...like proper swing and contact?

PS. I'm a leftie, and I don't have access to demo clubs like most of you all do; so that's why I'm asking.

I'm a lefty as well and I started with the demo 7i from Golfsmith on the Apex CF 16. i saw probably between 5-10 yards distance gain more consistently between it and the 7i of my current Srixon Z355. Both clubs are essentially the same specs. Same loft. The Z355 has the Nippon stock stiff 950 shafts and the Apex has the stock stiff XP95 shaft.

I couldn't resist a Black Friday/Cyber Monday 30% from Callaway Pre-Owned to basically complete the set. The real difference I noticed was the ball speeds coming off the face with the cup face. I have not had a chance to hit the rest of the set outdoors due to the weather here in OH but it is reasonable to believe the cup face will react the same between the 7 and 4 irons. They have a great feel as I have been able to hit them indoors in a dome. It is supposed to be 60 on Monday so maybe I can do some comparisons outdoors.

It might be a stretch but since the X Hot doesn't have the Cup Face it could be feasible to get 10 yards due to the increased ball speeds. It may just depend on how the shafts work for you. The XP95 is also a high launching shaft but I guess it is pretty similar to the shaft from the X Hot but I have never hit those. I've honestly not seen a review of anyone saying the Apex CF 16 were too short by any means.

To answer your question in a word...yes. I have done so in the past each time I purchased clubs (a new set). I usually hit a 6i most of the time or a 7i and made a decision from there.

Back