keep your irons covered?

I use them. Had the same set for about 10 years. They don't slow me down and they are my clubs so get over it :act-up:

Only if I'm flying with my clubs. Never during play as it's just one more thing to slow the game down (albeit, not by much).

I had some neoprene covers on my old set. If I was carrying I would replace the cover every shot or drop them down inside my bag, if I was riding in a cart as I played a club they would go into the basket and get put back on after the round. I don't use them anymore. Not sure if they fit my new clubs or not, but I may have left them on the old clubs when I gave them to my younger cousin. I replace my driver/hybrid/putter covers after every time I use them.

Well,.... Do ya....., punk?

Don't recall this being asked in quite a long time and things/people do change so thought to bring it up.

I like to keep um covered but I always end up losing the darn things as I play so about every other year when 3/4 or more of them no longer have covers I end up getting a new set of them. And slowly lose them one by one and the process goes on lol

Nope. Never saw the need. The only reason for covering the metal woods is to use the type with a long sleeve to protect the graphite shafts from damage from the shorter clubs. Otherwise I wouldn't bother at all.

I use the same hard plastic covers I bought 20 years ago on my new Ap2s, lol. For a couple reasons, my irons are beautiful and two I think it is funny to use the old covers! To each his own. I don't cover my wedges btw, rust and scuffs equal spin! Lol

I love how my AP-2s look too. What good is all that beauty if nobody ever sees it? :eyepoke:

Last edited:
I've never but I know some do. They want to keep their investment looking good. I play with guys on the weekend that always keep them covered and freak if they can't find the cover after a shot.

I did mention I lose them too often and yea its a pain when ya cant find it. usually happens when I may leave the bag on one side and take two or more clubs to the other side of the green cause unsure what club I'll need. Somehow a hole or two later I realize I'm short an iron cover.
Or another scenario is when one wasn't on snugly or became loose and again at some point ya just notice yet another iron coverless but have no clue where, when , how lol.

I just pay too much attention to the game and the pace and just the golf and/or conversations that go on and is why I cant seem to keep them for too long. And also why I by cheap ones lol.
My wood covers however I do keep more attention to them except one day last year when I left my 3w cover a couple holes behind on tee box and magically none of the only 2 groups behind me never seen it nor was it where I know I left it . But what can ya do all but accuse someone without proof so I had to eat the loss. Was a nice Titleist cover too that came with my 910. I was pissed at the time.

Have not used them and I don't think I miss the hassle but for those who do...enjoy!!

Not anymore. I remember this thread popping up about a year or 2 ago and I was a proponent for covering irons. I guess since then I've grown lazy, and realized that I'm not going to resell my irons. Going on year 3 with the same irons which is by far a record for me!

i invested in cheap irons covers. paid me back well when irons were sold. best to use on forged clubs. they dont look worn out at all even after 3-4 years .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not anymore. I remember this thread popping up about a year or 2 ago and I was a proponent for covering irons. I guess since then I've grown lazy, and realized that I'm not going to resell my irons. Going on year 3 with the same irons which is by far a record for me!

so just to bust your chops a bit,
You would cover them if you had plans to sell them (I assume to keep them from getting scared up) for someone else you don't even know but for yourself you don't care?

I've never used them and don't think I will in the future. The only thing I may do is get some for traveling. For the time being I just wrap a towel around them for traveling.

I used to cover the irons...a long time ago....but not anymore.

I use them, but mainly for the bag chatter. I normally play cast clubs so you don't seem to need to protect those as much.
But when I'm playing, especially riding in a cart, I can't stand all the bag chatter.
Not even sure why it bothers me but that's why I use em.

Rollin, exactly why I bought the covers. Everything is covered is my bag. During the round, only my lob and pitching wedges are left uncovered. (And they are on opposite sides of the bag.) I paid to much for custom equipment that it needs to be covered.

that bag chatter is what bothers me. Not the noise itself but just the thought of (expensive items) banging around

I cover my irons mainly because of all the dings and such but the constant bag chatter banging drives me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so just to bust your chops a bit,
You would cover them if you had plans to sell them (I assume to keep them from getting scared up) for someone else you don't even know but for yourself you don't care?
I mainly did it to preserve the resell value. The nicer I kept the irons, the more money I could get back when reselling. That was worth putting on the iron covers. As long as their was no big cosmetic issue that was visible at address I was personally fine with their condition.

I mainly did it to preserve the resell value. The nicer I kept the irons, the more money I could get back when reselling. That was worth putting on the iron covers. As long as their was no big cosmetic issue that was visible at address I was personally fine with their condition.

I've never resold a set of clubs. When I've used them as far as I want to, I donate them to the CGA, and they sell them at the Golf Expo to raise money for the junior golf program. That way I get my use from them, and I feel like they then help contribute to the future of the game.

never in a million years. i like the bag chatter, and there's just something about iron covers that rubs me the wrong way. like seeing a ball retriever sticking up out your bag.

I don't like the clatter, but agree fully to the rest of your post :)

Don't mind the resale value of my 15 year old irons. My putter, hybrid, FWW and driver are covered. The wedges wear out in about a season so I don't care much about them either.

I used to, but not anymore. Pain in the butt.

I don't particularly care for iron covers plus I have no need for them with the Ogio Chamber bag.

I have used head covers on my irons forever it seems. It doesn't slow down my play. My dad was always adamant about taking good care of your tools. At the end of my round I ensure my clubs are wiped down and free from moisture. I've never encountered any rust issues. KCM

Back