2014 Adams Tight Lies Preview

It was the 22° hybrid. I didn't hit my normal one (X2Hot) next to it last night, but am very familar with how it performs. I'll try to do a one-on-one comparison soon.

Both a very easy to hit and the TL seemed similar in forgiveness. Ball speeds were close on well struck and not so well struck shots. Maybe a little shorter in distance, but there wasn't a huge disparity. Based on some feedback I've read about the TL fairways I did wonder if I was going to see a really spinny, high, and short ball flight with this and that wasn't the case at all.
Where do you think the Adams out performs the Cally?

My assumption will be that it's better out of the rough with the special sole, like some others that are similar. Can't test that at the moment though lol.

I picked up the 16* fairway, holy crap! It's the first 3w I've had in the bag for a while and I don't see that changing anytime soon. So easy to get in the air, plenty long for me and just looks so good at address. Plus the head cover = badass.

I picked up the 16* fairway, holy crap! It's the first 3w I've had in the bag for a while and I don't see that changing anytime soon. So easy to get in the air, plenty long for me and just looks so good at address. Plus the head cover = badass.

Congrats. Did you get to hit it against other fairways for comparison?

I also got the tight lies 16° fairway this week as well. Tested every new 3W available and I was getting about 10 yards more with much tighter dispersion with the adams. Took it on the course yesterday and was a bit hit and miss with it. But the course was very wet and not the best conditions.

2014 Adams Tight Lies Preview

Congrats. Did you get to hit it against other fairways for comparison?

@Thedoswells Yeah, I hit the X2Hot, G25, and last year's Tight Lies. My main goal was to get something with a high launch and this stick does that very easily.

I also got the tight lies 16° fairway this week as well. Tested every new 3W available and I was getting about 10 yards more with much tighter dispersion with the adams. Took it on the course yesterday and was a bit hit and miss with it. But the course was very wet and not the best conditions.

Wow. That is interesting. I had thought most people found the Adams to be very easy to launch and very forgiving, but somewhat shorter than other offerings. I know one or 2 others have been surprised by its length though, so I need to hit this in comparison.
Hope it works really well for you, and the weather is less messy soon
thanks

@Thedoswells Yeah, I hit the X2Hot, G25, and last year's Tight Lies. My main goal was to get something with a high launch and this stick does that very easily.

Easy high launch. That's for me please...
thank you...

Wow. That is interesting. I had thought most people found the Adams to be very easy to launch and very forgiving, but somewhat shorter than other offerings. I know one or 2 others have been surprised by its length though, so I need to hit this in comparison.
Hope it works really well for you, and the weather is less messy soon
thanks

I probably get on so well with it as its easier to launch for me, i have a slow swing speed and have trouble geting the ball in the air with a 3w and with this it got in the air easier.

I probably get on so well with it as its easier to launch for me, i have a slow swing speed and have trouble geting the ball in the air with a 3w and with this it got in the air easier.
Can I ask your SS? Mine is 90 for driver and I wasn't even considering a 3 wood as I can never normally get a club like that airborne. However, thanks to this forum I now realise there are many other factors to getting a ball in the air, other than SS. Thanks

Can I ask your SS? Mine is 90 for driver and I wasn't even considering a 3 wood as I can never normally get a club like that airborne. However, thanks to this forum I now realise there are many other factors to getting a ball in the air, other than SS. Thanks

mines only about 75 and i can get this airborne, i also hit a few stingers and it still went. Normaly i i game a 4 or 5 wood or a high launch 3w. I also have the r15 HL 3w which is 17 and i have set it to 19, i now use this as my 5w.

Do try the tight lies 2 as i think you will like it.

mines only about 75 and i can get this airborne, i also hit a few stingers and it still went. Normaly i i game a 4 or 5 wood or a high launch 3w. I also have the r15 HL 3w which is 17 and i have set it to 19, i now use this as my 5w.

Do try the tight lies 2 as i think you will like it.
Definitely plan to at my fitting this Sunday... Thanks

Quick data point -- 92 is the average driver swing speed for anyone who has ever swung on a Trackman. Then think about the type of people who actually get on a Trackman. They're not the average hacks on the course on the weekend. These are people who are serious about golf and/or trying to improve and paired with top flight instruction. They're not a representative sample of the world of all golfers, and are skewed to the side that are probably going to be a bit faster swingers.

I mention this because I don't think 90 is slow. I think it's pretty average for everywhere other than the internet. I'm about 88. My distance on the course seems pretty average based on being paired up with lots of randoms.

I have had lots of FWS over the past few years. I think it's the hardest club in the bag to "fit" because that's the toughest normal shot in golf -- FW off the deck. The ones I've had the best luck with were the Callaway XHot, Optiforce and Tour Edge Trilogy.

I've been very interested in the "new" slotted TL fw since it was released. I need a FW that I can use from the deck and light rough, and some of the larger headed models aren't as versatile for me (Trilogy mentioned above being the exception).

I've picked up a 3/5/7 set and will play with some combination of them this season. I've hit them at home on my monitor (practice setup) and have had a range session with them. They elevate the ball well and the miss is less penal due to the shorter shafts. The 3W does require a golf swing, but when you put one on it, it goes out about as far as anything else I've tried.

I think the reports of the super spinny, ballooning and thus short TL FWs are from the higher swing speed players. There's a lot of weight low and it's paired with a shaft seems to have a decent amount of kick. That's a recipe for a moon ball for a high swing speed player. For an average to lower swing speed player, I think it works pretty well.

Good luck and report back on what you pick!

Quick data point -- 92 is the average driver swing speed for anyone who has ever swung on a Trackman. Then think about the type of people who actually get on a Trackman. They're not the average hacks on the course on the weekend. These are people who are serious about golf and/or trying to improve and paired with top flight instruction. They're not a representative sample of the world of all golfers, and are skewed to the side that are probably going to be a bit faster swingers.

I mention this because I don't think 90 is slow. I think it's pretty average for everywhere other than the internet. I'm about 88. My distance on the course seems pretty average based on being paired up with lots of randoms.

I have had lots of FWS over the past few years. I think it's the hardest club in the bag to "fit" because that's the toughest normal shot in golf -- FW off the deck. The ones I've had the best luck with were the Callaway XHot, Optiforce and Tour Edge Trilogy.

I've been very interested in the "new" slotted TL fw since it was released. I need a FW that I can use from the deck and light rough, and some of the larger headed models aren't as versatile for me (Trilogy mentioned above being the exception).

I've picked up a 3/5/7 set and will play with some combination of them this season. I've hit them at home on my monitor (practice setup) and have had a range session with them. They elevate the ball well and the miss is less penal due to the shorter shafts. The 3W does require a golf swing, but when you put one on it, it goes out about as far as anything else I've tried.

I think the reports of the super spinny, ballooning and thus short TL FWs are from the higher swing speed players. There's a lot of weight low and it's paired with a shaft seems to have a decent amount of kick. That's a recipe for a moon ball for a high swing speed player. For an average to lower swing speed player, I think it works pretty well.

Good luck and report back on what you pick!
Exceptionally helpful. Nearly all of this was news to me. I'll take these things into account.
Part of the problem is maybe down to the fact that people I generally play with hit the ball much further and higher than me..
Many thanks

Exceptionally helpful. Nearly all of this was news to me. I'll take these things into account.
Part of the problem is maybe down to the fact that people I generally play with hit the ball much further and higher than me..
Many thanks

No problem. Here's another one. The average driver length for males is 207 yards. This was revalidated by a R&A study of 10k+ shots a few years ago.

Some of the knowledge (particularly driver SS and distance norms) is quite liberating. Yeah, I play with a couple of people routinely that are significantly longer than me. That can and does mess with my head. Knowing the average numbers though helps me keep things in perspective and helps me play my game.

Granted, you're sitting there at a < 8 handicap, so you obviously know how to play your game. I suspect though even scoring in the 70s, it can get tiring dealing with the longer players.

Rye, how did this FW compare to the 588 for you.

I find the 588 pretty easy to hit, even from the rough.

No problem. Here's another one. The average driver length for males is 207 yards. This was revalidated by a R&A study of 10k+ shots a few years ago.

Some of the knowledge (particularly driver SS and distance norms) is quite liberating.

This is great stuff, thanks! Makes me feel better about my "average" 90mph swing :)

I'll take an average SS, high launch and good short game any day. This club is definitely helping with the high launch part.

Rye, how did this FW compare to the 588 for you.

I find the 588 pretty easy to hit, even from the rough.

I know you and I like a lot of the same equipment. You have a higher swing speed than I do and I suspect are a better ball striker.

I liked the 588. I think it's long (shaft length definitely plays into that) and aesthetically extremely pleasing. I think it's a good mix of a club that really works off of a short tee, but can be used off of the deck. I don't think it is as forgiving as the XHot, Optiforce or Trilogy/XRail, at least off of the deck.

Right now because I've had effectively a 3 month hiatus due to a nasty winter (and some family issues), I don't have the same swing that I ended the season with. At the end of the year, I was hitting the 588 well and enjoying the length and the looks. I had a personal best on a course in part because of the 588s.

The two range sessions I've had over the past 8 weeks were both just brutal with the 588 FWs. It doesn't matter if it is pretty if you can't hit it. It's a swing issue, not a club issue but I have zero confidence over the ball with them right now. I'm holding onto them though because I like them (and really like the matching 588 hybrid), and I think with some reps I may be able to put one or both of them back in.

I think my use case is from the deck. That's why I've got the Tight Lies in the bag to start the season. They seem to be best there.

If neither are the answer, I'll probably go back to the Trilogy/XRail or Optiforce. Both of those have been great from the deck for me. The Opti for me was super long (longer than the 588 and second only to an XCG4 that I had). The Trilogy/Xrail is probably the best mix of deck, rough and tee performance that I've used.

Thanks for the info man. It's interesting because we have liked ALOT of the same clubs in the past.

But I find the 588 pretty easy to hit off the deck and the tee. For me it was WAY better than the optiforce.

I haven't tried the Trilogy/XRail but have heard good things.

Thanks for the info man. It's interesting because we have liked ALOT of the same clubs in the past.

But I find the 588 pretty easy to hit off the deck and the tee. For me it was WAY better than the optiforce.

I haven't tried the Trilogy/XRail but have heard good things.

MajBC loves them as well and we've had heavy overlap in the clubs we like. When people like you, he, erock and Hawk like something, I typically take note. Again and again we tend to gravitate to the same things.

That's part of why I'm holding onto them. I need to get my swing back in order. Once that happens, I could see the 5W going back in as the longest club off of the deck. That could be really nice paired with a Tight Lies 7w.

The Optiforce though was a sleeper with that PX 5.5. It could have just been that that shaft is perfect for my swing speed. I tend to do best with the tweener shafts between R and S. Your higher swing speed probably pushed you to the 6 and thus a different set of results.

True. I was surprised at the 588 5W distance wise. It is probably only about 10 yards shorter than the 3W, which I really liked as well.
And a little easier off the deck. So I kept it and traded in my 3W.
At the prices they are going for I would just keep it as well and maybe you will come back to it.
They are pretty amazing clubs for the price you can find them for on Ebay.

But back to the Adams FW. These are going pretty cheap on Ebay as well so I might pick one up to try out.
Not much to lose at the current prices.

I'm wondering how much the slot will bother me at address though.
I almost picked up an Adams XTD driver but I really don't like the looks from the top for some reason.

I'm wondering how much the slot will bother me at address though.
I almost picked up an Adams XTD driver but I really don't like the looks from the top for some reason.
The slot on the hybrids doesn't bother me at all. Granted, they're not as large as on the FW's ... it's just the slot on the bottom and having to dig out grass and dirt before putting it back into the head cover which gets to be a pain.

I have last year's fairways (5&7), and the slot didn't bother me at all. Got the 5&6 hybrids (lofted same as 4&5 irons) and have to say I really like them. The ball flies high and to a specific distance (a good thing); however, I found the stock shafts just too light and had to add some internal shaft weights (opti vibe) and now the heft is about perfect.

Initially I had problems hitting the fairway woods (lot's of fat and topping), but discovered that if I took a divot (slight) they were very easy to hit compared to other fairways I've tried. The hybrids are better at getting the ball out of trouble lies than my titleist 913H's, but don't seem to get as much run-out on a stock shot (same as the fairways).

Overall, I think they are very good clubs that fit my needs (for now).

I think this hybrid is a sleeper.

-A hint of that muted yuck sound Adams seems to be producing right now, but it's not terrible.

-I can't get over the shape at address. My assumption was that this one (being a GI geared club) would be a little larger and more offset, but it's a very normal size hybrid. A shape that I'm comfortable and familar with. Lower profile, but nothing crazy. I really like the way it looks.

-Will reiterate that the distance is suprisingly long. Not long in the sense that it's longer than other hybrids I've had in play recently, but it's not shorter and I guess I expected it to be.

-Kuro Kage shaft is a solid choice and one I'm familar/comfortable with.

-Trajectory at the moment isn't quite as high as I'd like -mid-high on my scale. Not bad, but I'm going to work on it a little b/c I'd like it higher. I am coming in with a shut face more than I'd like and that doesn't see to help.

-I know the TL fairways caused some issues for people off the tee, but the hybrid accepts a teed up ball pretty well for me.

-Still haven't had to hit it from the rough, but will update on that as time goes on I'm sure.

Back