If you could go back in time

I gave up what you can not change.

I've daydreamed a bit about what things I'd change in my past if I could but truthfully the only thing I'd change is how late I started to play golf, I wish I had started when I was young. Everything else has helped define the guy I am today god and bad.

It's an interesting question. I think of the one thing I'd go back and change when I was 17, but in the end, one terrible decision/experience led to a chain of events that ended up with me meeting my wife a year and a half later. So I'm not sure I'd do it, to be honest.

Overall I'm happy with most of the choices I've made. I've had a pretty good run, seen and lived in a lot of different areas of the country. Sure I've had some bumps and bruises along the way, but each one better prepared me to deal with the next challenge or opportunity that came along. I'm good with the way things have turned out.

That said in the spirit of the question. I would have stuck with the sports journalism field, I went to school for and worked in after school. I feel I left it far too soon, to chase a girl down to Florida. Yeah that one didn't turn out well, girl or job wise :)

I've often given the advise when asked by someone younger, to do what your passionate about regardless of title, pay or other factors. it would have been nice to have received that advise when I was 20.

Even with the knowledge I have now there is no way I would go back. Once you change one thing you change them all. I may have never met my wonderful wife so we would not have had the wonderful children we have. Granted I may have made more money in my life but would I have been as happy? I am way too happy now with my life to even think of messing it up with a redo.

tough decision. Lot of us ended up where we are based on the choices we made both good and bad. I like how my life has turned out and do with somethings along the way were different.

With the knowledge I have now there are some choices i would change in high school and in my early 20s but I don't know if I would really want to go back to make different choices.

I think a couple regrets would be how i approached sports growing up and wish i would have dedicated more time and effort to being better. i do wish i would have taken up a friends offer to learn golf when i was 16.

The only other partial regret is not spending more time in the Navy and seeing if things would have been better than what i perceived.

I was initially tempted to say I would have chosen a different career path. But then I started to think of the other life changes that would have resulted from that change such as would not have met my wonderful wife and therefore would not have my current family. So I would not change anything major just tweak a few decisions I made along the way.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my life as is. I have a great family and a job that I love. My job is not my first love however and something I just fell into a long time ago. I have several regrets. I wish I would have applied myself to my studies in middle school and high school so that I could have gone to a better University. I would never let my first serious girlfriend distract me from college like I did. Cost me a year, and a lot more in regards to a military career as I had already completed the first half of OCS and lost my place in the PLC program due to grades.

I took 8 years off from golf in my twenties. I would NEVER do that again.

I don't know.
I think I would have used the scholarship I received instead of casting it aside like a pinhead.
I would have worked harder as a junior hockey player and seen how far I could go.

I wouldn't trade my wife for anything or any situation though, so I'd probably just keep my current life.

I think it would be neat to look at life without having taken all the drugs and easy paths in life. I have always assumed there would be do-overs though. Pretty happy with the way things turned out. But always wonder how much of my view is jaded by the past.

I would go back to 15 and change a lot of things.

Only decision I would have changed is where I went to college. But, if not for that, I would not be doing what I am today, so maybe it is a wash.

When I went into the Army, the Air Force was only commissioning pilots. However, as it turned out, while they didn't lie to me, the Army did not tell me everything that I really needed to know. If they had, I probably would have joined the Air Force anyways. That is if I could go back in time with my current knowledge.

Id go back to when we were planning our wedding and eliminate the ridiculousness of it. Even the wife agrees a big wedding is a waste of money and we should have just taken the immediate family somewhere tropical for a few days and saved thousands.

I think everyone has things in their past that they would like to go back and change. I am no exception to that. But, because I have my 13yr old daughter now, I wouldn't even think about going back and changing a thing. Period.

I'd like to go back to my senior year of high school and change my initial major in college, wasted a year in chemical engineering!

I don't want to give up my wife and kid. But if going back would mean I'd be able to fall in love with her all over again and go through the stages of her being pregnant, holding my son for the first time again and all the things I love now, then I'd go back to 1999, get my diploma, stay in the company I started longer and would do my investments quite a bit different (lost 99% of what I had). Financial stability, the best wife I could ever imagine and the son I love so much. Yes that would make me quite happy.

I'd probably not get into the accident that broke my back, so I'd keep playing golf and not have to stop for 8 years. Not have to start all over again with learning how to swing while not destroying my lower back, keep my handicap - maybe even improve on it..

Nice to think about but not happening ;)

I think I'm pretty happy with things, so I'm not sure I'd change anything really

I would, to my orientation day at college.

Just to keep myself from going into education. Seriously.

I know this may seem odd coming from me, someone who is permanently disabled because of Iraq, but I only really have one regret in life and it has nothing to do with deploying.

My one and only regret in life is passing up the opportunity at 19 years old to go to the Prep School for West Point and become an officer in the Army. I passed it up because at 19 years old, there was 2 years at the Prep School, 3 years at West Point and then Army Service for 6 years. So that was 11 years of my life that I was signing away, which seemed like an eternity to a 19 year old. I mean, come on, I'd be 30 by the time I was done and that was ancient back then. But I ended up staying in the Army for 14 years until I was medically outed because of my injuries anyway. I spent all that time as an enlisted Soldier and passed up a free education at West Point, plus the cumulative pay difference from being an officer and enlisted for all of those years was a ton. Not to mention simply having a degree from West Point.

Last edited:

I had an aunt who was a teacher for 20 some years in the Tampa system. She tasked me out of it when I was contemplating it in college. And this was in the 80's. So I can imagine how much it's changed (and not for the better iIm guessing) since then.

That said. I have tremendous respect and appreciation for all you who teach.

I would definitely go to 10.

Enjoy a few years of recess, show I'm a child genius, of coursearly I'd pick up golf early but also business school.

God I'd love to able to back...

Think I would be right there with you

I would get the sports almanac and create Jitzville.

Back