Do you carry a "rock" club?

Sennamont

Reaction score
Handicap
Allergies
Like the title says, many desert courses around me and most I know carry a beater rock club to hit from them. Do you do it? Do your buddies carry one? Which iron or loft do you use for it? If you don't have one, what do you do when the shot has a high chance to damage the club? Macho it up? Do you take a drop? 1 club length rule? Share your fav.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I don't currently. But, I'm about to buy a new set of irons, and then am thinking of throwing in an old seven iron or something. There are some spots on my course that, if you end up there, you would not want to hit a nice club--very gravelly.

I dont officially but now my cf16 7 iron is since the rocks beat it up in vegas in September.

No I do not, I live in New England, if there are rocks it's my own peril.

No wildlife that I've encountered where I would need one either.

No I do not, I live in New England, if there are rocks it's my own peril.

No wildlife that I've encountered where I would need one either.

So do you take a drop? or do you try to hit the club knowing it could damage it?

I used to keep a club from my last set for rocky lies, but I don't any longer.
Now, whichever one gets gouged first is my preferred club out of future rocky lies when I'm stuck with a recovery shot.

Never have but it's really not a bad idea!

No. I don't have deserts.

Nope. If it is bad enough that is going to damage the club, I'll take a lift.

In the few times I've played desert golf and ended on the rocks I've done one of two things. Either I take a drop or I'll fold up my towel and place my ball on the towel and hit from there. I've always been playing fun rounds so flexible rules were in place. For legit play I'd just take the drop.

Have no use for one here, but when I travel to Vegas. I'll throw a 5 and 8 in the bag from an old top flight set.

I never leave home without my foot wedge

When I travel to a desert course a beater club always makes the trek with me. I'm not going to beat the hell out of my clubs just because I suck.

My old 7 iron has a huge gash at the bottom. Battle scars. Fortunately, My new 7 iron still looks good. Maybe I'm playing better.

Do you remove a club to allow the spot for your rock club?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never played a desert course so I don't carry a beater club. But I would love to play in the desert one day.

I have an old 8 iron that I use for desert lies.

Do you remove a club to allow the spot for your rock club?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most folks here(and clubs have rules) designate it before the round so it doesn't count toward your 14 club cap. I carry 12-13 clubs tho so I always have room for it.

Most folks here(and club rules) designate it before the round so it doesn't count toward your 14 club cap. I carry 12-13 clubs tho so I always have room for it.

How can that be a club rule? Isn't the 14 club limit a pretty set in stone (pun intended) rule? I didn't think local rules could change that, but I guess I could be mistaken.

How can that be a club rule? Isn't the 14 club limit a pretty set in stone (pun intended) rule? I didn't think local rules could change that, but I guess I could be mistaken.
"leisure" rules in few courses. Everyone who I know and have played with honor it as long as you designate it before round and only use it for its intended purpose. Most people are not sponsored and rather not have rock dents in the club face. But obviously not in tournaments.

"leisure" rules in few courses. Everyone who I know and have played with honor it as long as you designate it before round and only use it for its intended purpose. Most people are not sponsored and rather not have rock dents in the club face. But obviously not in tournaments.

Sounds reasonable to me.

I have yet to play in the desert, but I'll take my old PW which has an enormous gouge in it from a rock that was in the middle of an overgrown fairway.

I have a nasty sandwedge that I take to the gravel courses.
It's not like I'm going to hit a great shot off of gravel anyway.
Usually it's just to punch it forward to a better position.

Back