The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit ddec. I was in the process of a self quote too. Now I'm going to look like I'm copying you.

Dammit ddec. I was in the process of a self quote too. Now I'm going to look like I'm copying you.

you should do it. #Bestie

you should do it. #Bestie

OT a bit, but I'll be calling you frequently when the Hogan 3i comes in. :bulgy-eyes:

Lol well apparently my instructor's view on my progress wasn't quite as rosey as mine. Pretty bad in fact. Sad trombone.

The good news is he gave me a different way to look at things that clicked a little better for me.

Ok - a recap, mostly for my own benefit.

My two pieces of homework (as I interpreted them) were to get rid of the cupped left wrist (that opens the face and puts me across the line) and work my right shoulder down in the downswing to keep my upper body behind the ball. I also added in (like always - stupid Hawk) the idea that I needed to get myself on plane better (flatter) in the backswing.

Wellllllllllll, that's not really what I was supposed to do and I think I took some small snippets I was given and ignored the more important ones.

The bottom line in the wrist department is I need bend in the right wrist at the top - left wrist will take care of itself. It's supposed to bent at impact, so why not put it there early in the swing instead of trying to manufacture it. My homework was to think of NOTHING but keeping right wrist bend at the top. Also, my interpretation on plane was so far off base that I am borderline embarassed. Needless to say I was crazy flat and the club was way behind me (inside). I got a good comparison to look at so I know what to look for at least.

As for the second part, yea I don't know if I even want to discuss his thoughts there. He was very blunt and that's often the best course of action with me. I got some good clarification for the coming two weeks.

Going to hit the range today to get some time in. He said quit hitting so many balls, so I'll tone it down.

OT a bit, but I'll be calling you frequently when the Hogan 3i comes in. :bulgy-eyes:

I'll record my voice for you so you just need to push a button. Hell maybe I'll make it a video clip. Do it up in all different styles. Angry Dean, Happy Dean, Encouraging Dean, and everyone's favorite Raging Dean.

Ok - a recap, mostly for my own benefit.

My two pieces of homework (as I interpreted them) were to get rid of the cupped left wrist (that opens the face and puts me across the line) and work my right shoulder down in the downswing to keep my upper body behind the ball. I also added in (like always - stupid Hawk) the idea that I needed to get myself on plane better (flatter) in the backswing.

Wellllllllllll, that's not really what I was supposed to do and I think I took some small snippets I was given and ignored the more important ones.

The bottom line in the wrist department is I need bend in the right wrist at the top - left wrist will take care of itself. It's supposed to bent at impact, so why not put it there early in the swing instead of trying to manufacture it. My homework was to think of NOTHING but keeping right wrist bend at the top. Also, my interpretation on plane was so far off base that I am borderline embarassed. Needless to say I was crazy flat and the club was way behind me (inside). I got a good comparison to look at so I know what to look for at least.

As for the second part, yea I don't know if I even want to discuss his thoughts there. He was very blunt and that's often the best course of action with me. I got some good clarification for the coming two weeks.

Going to hit the range today to get some time in. He said quit hitting so many balls, so I'll tone it down.

THe bold. Thats me.

THe bold. Thats me.

He said feel like you're bending it back to your forearm lol.

I went out in the yard to toy around with it and I think being so inside (in attempt to flatten) and being so flat made it hard to maintain.

I read that post and what I took away was that Hawk got yelled at. That happened to me at one point with my pro last year.

Yep I sure did. I deserved it too.

Yep, me too. Thinking right wrist instead of left at least gives me a chance to get it right. A waiter holding a tray...

I went out in the yard to toy around with it and I think being so inside (in attempt to flatten) and being so flat made it hard to maintain.

I worked REALLY hard on flattening my swing this year, but I've come to realize I'm honestly getting to the point I cant hold that angle in my wrists because of it. I've laid off the last couple rounds in terms of being so focused on getting more flat and really found that "spot" again in my swing, particularly with my irons. The woods, I still really struggle with leaving that face open because of my wrist.

It feels uncomfortable when you do it the right way and I think I need to build more flexibility in my wrists. I don't even get a right angle between the back of my right hand and my forearm.

I worked REALLY hard on flattening my swing this year, but I've come to realize I'm honestly getting to the point I cant hold that angle in my wrists because of it. I've laid off the last couple rounds in terms of being so focused on getting more flat and really found that "spot" again in my swing, particularly with my irons. The woods, I still really struggle with leaving that face open because of my wrist.

Yep and its just a bad place to start the downswing. Leaves a ton of compensations on the plate.

It feels uncomfortable when you do it the right way and I think I need to build more flexibility in my wrists. I don't even get a right angle between the back of my right hand and my forearm.

He gave me a stern one-liner about me thinking it was going to feel right. LOL. Bascially, it should feel wrong since what feels right is so far from correct.

I have all but eliminated my snap-hook off with the driver.

I was taking the club too far inside. I try to think "straight back" on my driver backswing.

On a related note, using my old driver take-away, I can hit a nice draw with my irons.

I finally got to hit off of grass today.

It was mostly terrible.

I don't know what was going on. I almost left 3/4 of a large bucket and walked away. I'm talking, "hit a worm burner for the 5th time in a row with your 9 iron and walk around in circles shaking your head trying to convince yourself that YES you have played golf before" terrible.

Hitting off of mats has never been high on my list of fun things, but they've all I've had access to until now, and recently I experienced some forearm soreness after hitting. Don't know if mentally I was afraid to actually take a swing today or what.

Finally I started making better contact, just thinking about staying centered and maintaining my spine angle. I was looking an inch or so in front of the ball and trying to imagine the divot starting there, which usually works for me when I'm hitting irons like poop. Thankfully it did work today, and was hitting some very decent (for me) 5 iron shots nice and straight with a tiny bit of a draw towards the end of the bucket.

I ended with 5 driver shots, all of which would have been in my "fairway" which helped end things on a good note. But MAN... for a little while there I was actually scared. Like, did all those indoor swings this winter & hitting from mats ruin what I ended last season with? I'm not going to the range again unless I'm guaranteed to be hitting off of grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a little acclimation period needed it sounds like. At least you got it back in gear.

Just a little acclimation period needed it sounds like. At least you got it back in gear.

Definitely. I'm very glad the wheels didn't fall off completely. Just another early season joy we northeastern golfers get to deal with after a long winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well after the invitational and my bad drives, I decided to take lessons with the guy I wanted to last year. Started with a lesson tonight with irons and he took some video. Didn't take long for him to see my issues. Issues with irons were going to far inside on backswing and casting the club causing all my tops when I miss. He had me take the club out on the back swing, then at the top come down slow and do a pump with the iron at 90 degrees to keep me from uncocking the wrist. After working on that I noticed right away I was finally making divots and striking it well. Just need to make sure to release the club.
Onto the driver now and my issues were very similar to the irons sept also I was coming up on the downswing way to early. I did the same drill he had me do with the irons and I stayed down on the driver and I was finally hitting it solid and hitting up on the ball. Was hitting it solid but i gotta just work on my release he said. Just swinging with the club face open.
Really didn't want to take lessons but after tonight, lessons are well worth it. Just gotta keep practicing to stay solid and work on it at the range. And also 5 lessons for $100 at the country club that has a nice range, short game area and a putting green. It's the country club that D.A. Points grew up at, so that's what it's mostly know for. But overall great lesson tonight.

Well after the invitational and my bad drives, I decided to take lessons with the guy I wanted to last year. Started with a lesson tonight with irons and he took some video. Didn't take long for him to see my issues. Issues with irons were going to far inside on backswing and casting the club causing all my tops when I miss. He had me take the club out on the back swing, then at the top come down slow and do a pump with the iron at 90 degrees to keep me from uncocking the wrist. After working on that I noticed right away I was finally making divots and striking it well. Just need to make sure to release the club.
Onto the driver now and my issues were very similar to the irons sept also I was coming up on the downswing way to early. I did the same drill he had me do with the irons and I stayed down on the driver and I was finally hitting it solid and hitting up on the ball. Was hitting it solid but i gotta just work on my release he said. Just swinging with the club face open.
Really didn't want to take lessons but after tonight, lessons are well worth it. Just gotta keep practicing to stay solid and work on it at the range. And also 5 lessons for $100 at the country club that has a nice range, short game area and a putting green. It's the country club that D.A. Points grew up at, so that's what it's mostly know for. But overall great lesson tonight.
Keep up the good work sir!

Thanks man!!! After doing the lesson I played a quick 7 holes before day light as gone. I gotta say I need more range time with what I learned, but I seen that I was striking the ball well with the irons and i was hitting the driver long and in the fairway. Just need to get back out to the range and get use to swinging like this now.
Keep up the good work sir!

Went and saw the pro today for a quick lesson since I have been snap hooking my driver the last few rounds. A few really quick and easy changes brought me back to a nice gentle fade which I can live with.

I have been complaining about losing distance since my return to golf but he has been telling me not to worry about that right now, let's get the ball going the right direction first and then he already knew how to give me the yardage back. Today was the day that he decided that I was hitting the ball straight enough to add more power. All he had me do was loosen my grip a little and had me add more wrist cock at the top of my backswing and I immediately picked up a full club length. I am hitting the ball higher than I ever have and picking up distance at the same time. That's a win/win in my book. The only negative is that I'm back to hitting a fade with my irons again, but he said to play it until I got used to the changes and we'd work on getting it back to a draw.

That's what I like about my current instructor, he makes small changes incrementally that make a big difference but gives me the time to ingrain the changes before he makes another change which has made it incredibly easy to improve my game.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Had a really good range session tonight in preparation for a fun little tournament I'm in tomorrow. Probably my best practice session of the year so far.

One big issue in my usual swing is that I bring the club back way to the inside on the backswing. Tonight I worked on keeping width and really over exaggerating how it feels to take the club back to the outside. I'm just trying to find that happy medium by fitting my backswing into those 2 extremes. It's still a big work in progress.

Anyways I took some video and I kinda looked like Ryan Moore tonight, but once I dropped the club into the "slot" on the downswing I saw amazing results. I was seeing center face contact consistently. From PW up to driver. Also my usual fade became straighter and my ball was really tracking on my target line. I've still got a long ways to go, but tonight showed me if I can make small improvements slowly but surely my game is going to come around.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Embracing my tendency to draw the ball, while working on stopping the pull. Had a good talk with Pete about this. I really appreciate the time he took. The main thing for me is getting the ball off on the right path. That's something I can work on at home. The big thing to limit the pull is to start my weight shift at the top of the backswing.

But while I work on this, on the course I am working on accounting for my tendencies when setting up. I'm hitting the ball solid, just not on line. So adjust the line as the path of least resistance.

I think all the range time on mats recently has driven in some bad habits. I find myself now hitting shots fat or much fatter than normal and I have to imagine all the time practicing on mats has something to do with that. I need a lot of grass range time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back