New Driver Shaft Study

I personally thonk the head is the most important part for me and shaft coming in second. I read the study but I honestly have trouble believing anything a website says when they blatantly lie and say they are not paid when they are.

I read the study but I honestly have trouble believing anything a website says when they blatantly lie and say they are not paid when they are.

Can you elaborate?

If this is going to turn into a discussion of other websites, that is best done elsewhere. If people want to discuss the merits of golf shafts, technology and fitting, have at it.

Ok, this will be getting well away from the topic, but quickly... I hope there isn't a "set" approach, because each golfer is different. I would hope that a fitter is good enough, that after talking to the client about where they are, and what they want, and seeing some swings, that they have a good idea on where to go, first. Just my opinion, anyways.

A good fitter, ie one that has steady business, better listen to his customers. If a customer comes in and says, "I want to find the right shaft for this head", that fitter better not try and change the head. That fitter better start with shafts. That is how the bills get paid.

That's the first time I've ever heard that a shaft could actually help with your swing path. That's crazy to think about.

weight. heavier shaft helps me (and some others) stay on plane better. yes it's sacrificing speed and potential distance, but when the path is so bad and there isn't enough speed/spin to keep the ball in the air, the results are awful.

EDIT: and then couple that with issues with launch and spin as it is, and it becomes a difficult game of finding a heavy enough shaft that will still spin a bunch and launch high enough.

Not about Driver shafts, but my recent very detailed iron fitting with a Professional Fitter I saw that once we found the shaft that gave me the best numbers he could put it in any head (in the same basic class) and it worked perfectly.

Now some were a few yards longer or shorter but the basic ball flight, Spin, etc. stayed about the same. So he put the distances differences down to loft (very minor in his opinion) and club design. It was really quite surprising that heavier was better for me overall.

Not about Driver shafts, but my recent very detailed iron fitting with a Professional Fitter I saw that once we found the shaft that gave me the best numbers he could put it in any head (in the same basic class) and it worked perfectly.

Now some were a few yards longer or shorter but the basic ball flight, Spin, etc. stayed about the same. So he put the distances differences down to loft (very minor in his opinion) and club design. It was really quite surprising that heavier was better for me overall.

very interesting. i wonder how different the heads were, or if they were all within the same "class" (eg smaller profile hollow-body designs). because i would think the difference between something like the bridgestone jgr or ping gmax as compared to a bridgestone j15mb or srixon 965 would be a lot bigger than say kbs tour vs c taper. i have nothing to back that up other than my own expectations, though.

Honma new solid CB and slotted CB, Srixon 765, Titleist T MB, Miura CB57 and MB-001, So all CB except for the MB-001 & T MB

very interesting. i wonder how different the heads were, or if they were all within the same "class" (eg smaller profile hollow-body designs). because i would think the difference between something like the bridgestone jgr or ping gmax as compared to a bridgestone j15mb or srixon 965 would be a lot bigger than say kbs tour vs c taper. i have nothing to back that up other than my own expectations, though.

It is. Low spinning heads nowadays have led to huge spin changes in irons.
Jim going to a hollow body design and not seeing a spin change to something like his PTx means something is amiss. Could very well be a golfer flipping or coming in severely steep and hitting off a mat. Meaning no shaft or head is going to be all that different outside of huge variances from swing to swing.

JB, there were spin changes but they were not huge swings that I remember. Of course that is me and I have weird spin issues anyway, so maybe the way I hit the ball just kills normal results. Super high with the Driver and I believe the 7 irons were around high 5,000 to mid 6,000's which I think is a bit low for most people.

Edit:
The only shafts that showed marked jump in spin were Graphite (which I thought I needed the most) but even changing flexes I could not match the shot shape and dispersion of the steel. I was very surprised about that and honestly think me hitting off mats makes a huge difference. After what I saw in the few strikes I made with your 565 9 iron with graphite I know that can work for me.

It is. Low spinning heads nowadays have led to huge spin changes in irons.
Jim going to a hollow body design and not seeing a spin change to something like his PTx means something is amiss.

The guy spent about 3 hours with me over 2 days and I felt bad for him, watching me butcher a golf swing for that long is just cruel to anyone.

He did say on my best swings I tend to deloft the club (killing spin) but when I do this it is a more correct inside to out swing with some lag and I hit a draw with the best distance, but the vast majority (most certainly the warm up stuff) are over the top, off the back foot and steep, creating a weak slice type of ball flight as would be expected.

Back