New True Temper Prototype DG AMT Shaft

Boo Weekley put these shafts into his irons this week....first round: tied for the lead.
I have to admit, the adopters and the successes seen with these have me incredibly intrigued. The concept makes sense in my mind and that's a rarity for as simple as it is. Might have to find me a set.

I have to admit, the adopters and the successes seen with these have me incredibly intrigued. The concept makes sense in my mind and that's a rarity for as simple as it is. Might have to find me a set.
The success of these in a short time on tour has been pretty crazy.

The DG Pro's are weighted differently throughout the set, so is the only difference in technology that the Pro's are flighted and the AMT's are not?

The DG Pro's are weighted differently throughout the set, so is the only difference in technology that the Pro's are flighted and the AMT's are not?

The DG Pro vary about 4g through the ENTIRE set. These on the other hand vary 3g per shaft.

Plus they don't have the variable flight through the set with the different steps and kick points as the Pros.

The DG Pro vary about 4g through the ENTIRE set. These on the other hand vary 3g per shaft.

Plus they don't have the variable flight through the set with the different steps and kick points as the Pros.

I've never owned a set of the Pro's, but hit some in the store. I didn't realize there was such a small difference in the weighting across the set though.

Watching the Golf Channel and they made comment of 3 guys who just recently put these into play. There must be a huge buzz about these on tour.

I follow the blog of a PGA teaching pro I think, Rich Hunt. He was onto this a while ago (Nov 2013) and even did it with a set of irons using Nippon shafts I believe. I bookmarked all the posts so as to possibly due it in the future, but it's a pretty detailed explanation of the concept if you guys want to read!

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

That's an interesting blog. I found in my first fitting that weight and swing weight made a big difference for me with the 6 iron used in the fitting. But it didn't go into MOI and was just the typical swing weight calculations for each club based on what worked for the 6 iron.

I recently found that the DG Pro shafts worked better for me than a traditional weighted shaft set in the long irons. I ended up buying a set of UST Recoils which are similar in design to the DG Pro's. I'm curious now to see if other companies come out with lines like the AMT with a greater difference in weight across the set.

That's an interesting blog. I found in my first fitting that weight and swing weight made a big difference for me with the 6 iron used in the fitting. But it didn't go into MOI and was just the typical swing weight calculations for each club based on what worked for the 6 iron.

I recently found that the DG Pro shafts worked better for me than a traditional weighted shaft set in the long irons. I ended up buying a set of UST Recoils which are similar in design to the DG Pro's. I'm curious now to see if other companies come out with lines like the AMT with a greater difference in weight across the set.
Similar how? In slight weight change, yes, but flight profile of the two sets are totally different. The recoils do not have the progressive flight nature that the DG pro do.

Similar how? In slight weight change, yes, but flight profile of the two sets are totally different. The recoils do not have the progressive flight nature that the DG pro do.

I found some testing/numbers online that indicated the standard Recoils increased spin a small amount in the long irons and decreased spin in the short irons when compared to a constant weight designed shaft. So while the standard Recoils might not have been designed to be "flighted" through variable wall thickness or due to variances in trimming, they produce a similar result, i.e, it's easier to get the long irons in the air.

I know you know this, but for those that don't, the constant weight Recoil Prototypes don't perform the same as the variable weight standard Recoils.

I don't have any time behind anything other than a 6 iron standard Recoil shaft, which I liked and felt like it was easier to hit the ball consistently and with a good trajectory over my KBS Tour X shafts. I saw/felt similar results in the 5 iron DG Pro I spent some time with. I have a set of Bridgestone J15 CB's coming in within the next few days that will have the stock stiff DG Pro shafts. I will spend some time with them and see if I can get on a monitor for some data before I have my standard UST Recoil 125 F4 shafts put into the heads.

For all I know, I found both easier to obtain consistent ball flight with the Recoils and DG Pro's because of flex, weight, or both when compared to my heavy, constant weight KBS Tour X shafts.

While they do vary in weight slightly, they really are not the same type of setup as what the DG Pro are designed to do, the Pros have three completely different launch characteristics through the set (2-5i = high, 5-8i = mid, 9-W = low/flat), they also do not manipulate the kick point like other designs, instead they change the tip section (six 1.25", 1.5", 1.75" steps in the bottom half of each different "progression"...the 2-5, 5-8, 9-W).

LOT of info on the Pro's here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/true-temper-dg-pro-shaft-review/

Another convert to these shafts: Adam Scott has them in the bag in this week in X100. Pretty interesting switch for him because he's played KBS for a long time. It didn't help him in his first match though, he lost pretty convincingly.

Why does 2016 have to be so far away!

I have a feeling these will be a popular choice.

I've been thinking about these a lot. Especially given the fact that the switch rate to them on tour is insane.

It's just interesting how these shafts go against the previous thoughts on consistent swing weight through out the clubs.

Perhaps the length of the lower number clubs negate the swing weight difference and the lighter shaft emphasize the club head awareness?

It's just interesting how these shafts go against the previous thoughts on consistent swing weight through out the clubs.

Perhaps the length of the lower number clubs negate the swing weight difference and the lighter shaft emphasize the club head awareness?

The swing weight is still consistent through out the set. With our variable wall technology we can make the lighter shafts swingweight just like a standard DG.

Definitely gotta try this out whenever it's available.

After reading through this a little bit. These have creeped into the thought process. Curious to know more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's official: this shaft is the stock shaft in the Titleist 716 CB, AP2, and T-MB irons. So by the end of this year, all of us should be able to experience this shaft by testing out those clubs.

That's huge. That means we will be able to get our hands on the pulls too. I've wanted a set of these since I first read about them!

I really really really want to get my hands on a set to out through their paces.

I really really really want to get my hands on a set to out through their paces.

Im with you JM. Im definitely looking forward to giving these a run.

Im with you JM. Im definitely looking forward to giving these a run.
Yep yep, it's been crazy to see them accepted so quickly by so many of the tour guys who have been die hard DG guys....and then to watch these shafts rack up wins too.

These are interesting. But honestly I wouldn't know where to start looking. I've fallen in love with the feel of my current shafts. But naturally I try to draw parallels to other shaft manufacturers for a similar feel. My question is how do you do that?

Currently i I play the CTaper S+. I like to piercing ball flight. The consistency I see. But I sacrifice some feel. The X100's in my other clubs I feel bring in some ballooning. But I see a consistency in shot patterns just a bit higher. I'd like to find a shaft that brings the CTaper flight with a S300 loading feel. Can it be done with my swing?

Back