Official Phil Mickelson thread

Aches and pains will beat us up.. With that being said, Phil will win again this year. One of my favorite all time golfers..:act-up:

Phil was here in Tucson this week at Stone Canyon, an exclusive and amazing private course his investment group just purchased.

They are going to build a big new clubhouse. This is already one of the few "need to know a member to play" courses in the Tucson area. Tucson has a bit of a love-hate relationship with Phil. He won the Tucson PGA stop several times but his disses and absence from the Accenture Match Play tournament had a big influence on them moving it out of Tucson.

And he is an ASU Sun Devil :). But I am a Phil fan anyway.

What a funny story:
Like this one, when Phil reportedly enticed Nick Watney into a bet during a practice round at the 2010 British Open:

Phil proposed a simple stroke-play match, with the highest score paying the winner $1,000 and the middle man walking away scot-free. Watney, knowing the amount could easily increase with presses or novelty bets, told them he preferred to play for less. "They started calling me names that shouldn't be in print," he says. "So I gave in to peer pressure."

Watney lost-it was his first time playing St. Andrews-and Mickelson won. On the 18th green, Watney counted out $1,000 and handed it over with a word of congratulations. Mickelson grabbed the stack of cash, gave it a quick glance and handed it right back. "This is Britain," he told Watney. "I need pounds."

Watney stared at him, hoping it was a joke. It wasn't.

If Phil was a better putter how many majors do you think he'd have?

not sure putting is what has cost him majors. I think it's more his decision making and shot execution that has prevented him winning more. He is a streaky golfer.

12-14 total.
We saw what being the best clutch putter along with a long game will/could do for someone over the last couple of decades. To think he won a handful being such a streaky putter.

Phil misses more 3' putts then anyone at his level, he would have double the majors and 10-15 more wins.

12-14 total.
We saw what being the best clutch putter along with a long game will/could do for someone over the last couple of decades. To think he won a handful being such a streaky putter.

Phil misses more 3' putts then anyone at his level, he would have double the majors and 10-15 more wins.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, he just went sideways when he was in contention on the short ones, I don't think there's a close second in missed putts when it counted.

If Phil was a better putter I think he'd have at least 5 or 6 more majors. I mean the guy finished 2nd in the US Open how many times while missing tap ins?

12-14 total.

I don't remember him using a putter off of the 18th tee at Winged Foot. For as many short misses as he's had shown on TV, IMO his short game has been more of the reason that he's been so successful compared to his long game. To say that he would have 7-9 more majors with better putting is a bit much, and that's putting it kindly. He'd have maybe one or two more.

Opinions are just opinions. Mine is that he would have 12-14. Yours is different.
Until that delorian of yours starts working, its all hyperbole.

Opinions are just opinions. Mine is that he would have 12-14. Yours is different.
Until that delorian of yours starts working, its all hyperbole.
I've always felt his putting has held him back from supreme greatness.

I'd imagine he'd have 4 or 5 more than he does now. While putting hurt Phil, I think his decision making hurt him more throughout the years. There's a reason he's often referred to as "Phil the thrill".

Live by the Thrill, Die by the Thrill is what being a Phil fan is all about. I believe based on his game and opportunities he should be sitting on at least 12 majors right now. Definitely had the talent to be considered in a Top 5 conversation.

Oh Phil, you poor tired man. Grrrrrrrr

I'll take his spot I suppose

Oh Phil, you poor tired man. Grrrrrrrr

well he did play the Seminole pro member after finishing the Honda yesterday

when i think of some of his epic collapses, or missed opportunities in majors, i'm not sure it's because he was going for "the thrill." he made some bad swings, some epically bad swings (and i despise the word epic). his final round at merion was a real head-scratcher for me. i felt like thu-sat he played very smart golf off the tee, laying back to find the short grass then hitting greens and two-putting like a champ. then he pulls driver on like every hole on sunday and misses a bunch of fairways, and throws the thing away. that's poor decision-making, not necessarily going for a thrill.

[h=1]Phil Mickelson out of OWGR top 25 for first time in 20 years[/h]

Back