TaylorMade equipment that is TP.

Bullfrog

Team Hackers 4EVA!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Full swing
I see TaylorMade Driver and fairway woods have a TP version and a regular version. For us that don't know, what is the difference? Is it a difference in the head or just the shaft or what? As an example there is a R 15 driver NAR 15 TP driver. I've wondered this for a while and haven't thought to ask so I thought I would. Thanks in advance for the answers. I tried a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I see TaylorMade Driver and fairway woods have a TP version and a regular version. For us that don't know, what is the difference? Is it a difference in the head or just the shaft or what? As an example there is a R 15 driver NAR 15 TP driver. I've wondered this for a while and haven't thought to ask so I thought I would. Thanks in advance for the answers. I tried a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Depends on the model. For many years, it was their tour model, similar to the way many brands have a Tour or Pro, etc. Later on, they released some models that were the same with component differences.

Now it appears as though it is using a different designation such as their putter line, some irons, etc.

I am pretty sure one of the main differences are the shafts that they come with. TP models (in woods at least) usually had more shaft options. I am sure there might be more differences though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me being a TM guy I hope I am correct with this.....

As said one of the main difference's is the usually the shaft. They will have a made for shaft that usually a higher end shaft but a made for with TM branding on it. Also for example the FW woods and hybrids will be in different lofts from their counterparts ( non tp ) and will have a slightly open face at address which is preferred by better players.

As for the irons they are usually a bit more compact, less offset and thinner toplines.

Hope this is of some help. I probably am missing something.

As said one of the main difference's is the usually the shaft. They will have a made for shaft that usually a higher end shaft but a made for with TM branding on it. Also for example the FW woods and hybrids will be in different lofts from their counterparts ( non tp ) and will have a slightly open face at address which is preferred by better players.

As for the irons they are usually a bit more compact, less offset and thinner toplines.

This. Only thing to add is the shafts also tend to be heavier and much stiffer than their non-TP counterparts.

This. Only thing to add is the shafts also tend to be heavier and much stiffer than their non-TP counterparts.

you are exactly right, I forgot about that. You also get the cool TP badging :)

if it's on the irons, it means they don't sell:alien:

Haha, so true!

I actually was a fan of the ones they had about 5 years ago, with the lug nut in the cavity. Much more so than the last TP ones they released.

I actually was a fan of the ones they had about 5 years ago, with the lug nut in the cavity. Much more so than the last TP ones they released.

Yeah, I remember those irons. Have never really like TM irons but have played their woods for years and loved each iteration. A few TP shafts have definitely snuck in those clubs over the years.

The MC and CB from that set were fantastic. I'm sure the blades were good too I just never bothered hitting them.

The MC and CB from that set were fantastic. I'm sure the blades were good too I just never bothered hitting them.

I had a set of the MB's. While I don't think my swing was good enough to game them, I didn't hit them terrible. I loved the looks of them.

One other difference I remember with the older TP woods was they were traditionally more open faced at address than their non TP counterparts. Allowed you to work the ball a little more. Not very user friendly for those who fight a slice.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I believe even the Aeroburner TP line of woods had open face angles.

If I'm not mistaken, the shafts were not interchangeable. Each having a different shaft insert. TP vs Stock

If I'm not mistaken, the shafts were not interchangeable. Each having a different shaft insert. TP vs Stock

That's right. TP's were a .335 tip, standards were like a .350 or .370 tip... or something along those lines. You could use a TP shaft in a non TP, you just had to shim. But not the other way around.

In the irons the TP were .355 tip and a lot of their non-TP lines are .370. The reason for the .355 ferrule is thanks to Dynamic Gold Tour Issue shafts only coming in .355 taper tip.

I ran across this issue when I was fit for TM irons at one of their performance labs. I was liked the idea of the SLDR heads which worked best for me with KBS Tour X/130 shafts. When I went to order them I found out that TM only stocked the KBS Tour X/130 shafts in .355 taper tip, but the SLDR heads accepted .370 parallel tip shafts. TM wouldn't shim the taper tips for the SLDR heads so I had to choose between the SLDR/KBS Tour S combo or the KBS Tour X shafts with one of the TP heads. So the fitter recommended the 2014 TP CB heads, which I ended up being happy with.

In the irons the TP were .355 tip and a lot of their non-TP lines are .370. The reason for the .355 ferrule is thanks to Dynamic Gold Tour Issue shafts only coming in .355 taper tip.

I ran across this issue when I was fit for TM irons at one of their performance labs. I was liked the idea of the SLDR heads which worked best for me with KBS Tour X/130 shafts. When I went to order them I found out that TM only stocked the KBS Tour X/130 shafts in .355 taper tip, but the SLDR heads accepted .370 parallel tip shafts. TM wouldn't shim the taper tips for the SLDR heads so I had to choose between the SLDR/KBS Tour S combo or the KBS Tour X shafts with one of the TP heads. So the fitter recommended the 2014 TP CB heads, which I ended up being happy with.

Yeah I remember that with the irons. That still applies with alot of the manufacturers where they use .370 parallel in the GI irons and .355 taper in the players clubs. I was more referring to the woods.

And after looking it up, I was correct. The TP woods used a .335 tip shaft and the non TP models were a .350 tip.

Back