Golf industry brings $3.9B to Arizona economy in 2014

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
http://ktar.com/story/1401126/tee-up-golf-industry-brings-3-9b-to-arizona-economy-in-2014/

PHOENIX — The golf industry brought in $3.9 billion in sales to the Arizona economy in 2014, according to a recent study from the University of Arizona.

Out of the $3.9 billion, approximately $2.5 billion was generated from sales at golf facilities themselves, while $1.1 billion was brought in from tourism related to the golf industry and the remaining $347 million came from golf-related businesses, such as equipment and apparel retailers.

The industry also brought more than 41,700 jobs and $1.5 billion in labor income during the same period. Arizona brought in approximately $72 million in state and local taxes that was directly supported by the golf industry in 2014.

More than 11.6 million rounds of golf were played in Arizona in 2014. More than 32 percent of golfers in 2014 were out-of-state or foreign visitors.

Arizona’s desirable climate year-round and affordable cost of living have helped boost the state’s golf industry in recent years.

Many people flock to Arizona in the winter to partake in some of the state’s beautiful, award-winning golf courses, which in turn has helped boost the surrounding real estate markets. Homes built within golf course communities have brought in premiums that are estimated to be around $2.1 billion.

Link to report - http://cals.arizona.edu/arec/publication/contribution-golf-industry-arizona-economy-2014

Id be curious to know if that is an increase over previous years, or if the "decline" that golf is going through has impacted those figures as well.

Hmm thats a good chunk of money to bring in. My question is that higher than years past, same, or lower?

That's a good chunk of money to have come into the state. I wonder what the 2016 numbers will look like

It doesn't surprise me. If it wasn't for golf, I would have no reason to visit Arizona. Many of my golf friends around here feel the same way.

It doesn't surprise me. If it wasn't for golf, I would have no reason to visit Arizona. Many of my golf friends around here feel the same way.

We have a big hole in the ground you should visit and the Mexican food is delicious.

We have a big hole in the ground you should visit and the Mexican food is delicious.

I can't argue there! The food is pretty freaking good and that big hole is too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never golfed in AZ, I think that needs to be corrected.

That is some solid numbers to say that golf isn't hurting in AZ

if they could just get rid of the scorpions and snakes they might do even better.

if they could just get rid of the scorpions and snakes they might do even better.

I have seen 3 scorpions and less than 20 snakes in the 57 years I have lived here. No earthquakes or hurricanes... :)

I've been to Arizona just once for a family reunion and played a round of golf while I was there. My wife and I and her family absolutely loved it and actually started looking at houses. We were amazed at how affordable they were. Sadly nothing came of it but maybe someday down the road it will be considered again.

Fupresti,
Out of curiosity, where does that rank them in the golf tourism list? 2nd? 3rd?

I looked at the thread and read $3.98...a bit off.

I have seen 3 scorpions and less than 20 snakes in the 57 years I have lived here. No earthquakes or hurricanes... :)

that is 3 too many haha.

I recently moved to Phoenix for work and I freaking love the golf around the city. There are still soooo many more courses that I want to play. Every time I'm out someone tells me of a must play course that I haven't even heard of before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fupresti,
Out of curiosity, where does that rank them in the golf tourism list? 2nd? 3rd?

The data is scattered based on the year it was conducted, but it looks like Arizona is 10th.

1. Florida 13.8 Billion
2. California - 13.1 Billion
3. Texas - 7.4
New York 5.3
North Carolina 5.3
Georgia 5.1
Illinois 4.8
Ohio 4.8
Michigan 4.2
Arizona 3.9

I am basing the ranking on the data found here:

http://wearegolf.org/media/7651/wag-state-data.pdf

That report shows the economic impact in Arizona in 2004 was $3.4 Billion so assuming the data is accurate its up about 15% in the 11 years between report dates.

I recently moved to Phoenix for work and I freaking love the golf around the city. There are still soooo many more courses that I want to play. Every time I'm out someone tells me of a must play course that I haven't even heard of before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure to note them so you can play them in the summer when the rates are reasonable :)

hey look Ohio is ahead of Michigan like in everything else :)

Surprised to see New York up that high

The data is scattered based on the year it was conducted, but it looks like Arizona is 10th.

1. Florida 13.8 Billion
2. California - 13.1 Billion
3. Texas - 7.4
New York 5.3
North Carolina 5.3
Georgia 5.1
Illinois 4.8
Ohio 4.8
Michigan 4.2
Arizona 3.9

I am basing the ranking on the data found here:

http://wearegolf.org/media/7651/wag-state-data.pdf

That report shows the economic impact in Arizona in 2004 was $3.4 Billion so assuming the data is accurate its up about 15% in the 11 years between report dates.

Thanks. Good data and really interesting. Have to chuckle at some of those states being so good on tourism dollars and still raking residents over the coals with taxes.

And you've probably had 10 scorpions a day see you! Arizona is fantastic and I love spending time there. My dad will be retiring there in 2-3 years so more AZ trips are in my future.

Great to hear the amount of dollars that golf brings to the state. I'd be curious what kind of impact Ping has on the golf dollars in the area.

In four years playing here, I've come across zero snakes or scorpions on the course.

I've come across a lot of deer, wild javalinas, a mountain lion, and a very desperate looking coyote, but no snakes or scorpions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

In four years playing here, I've come across zero snakes or scorpions on the course.

I've come across a lot of deer, wild javalinas, a mountain lion, and a very desperate looking coyote, but no snakes or scorpions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

well, lets see.....hmmm....I will trade you 1 scorpion bite and a rattlesnake bite for one mountain lion face/neck mauling. hahha either way I suppose its not seeing anything that may be the worst part.

BTW speaking of lions, I would love to go on an African safari, but I could never get the wife to agree to that one. I think shes afraid I might feed her to the pride.:alien:

Sorry folks, off topic. But ust some fun:)

Fwiw I was in Arizona only once a little outside of Phoenix (I belive was Candler AZ) visiting some people we knew and I did golf but cant recall where I played. It was awesome from what I remember. Spent a day also on a boat on some huge lake, Just a really pretty place to be in general. I liked it a lot.

Back