What's the Craziest Shot You Ever Pulled Off?

McRock

Reaction score
Handicap
Sometimes, you just have to try something crazy. It's probably a casual round (or at least casual competition among friends), and there's your ball, you have no idea how to get it to green, but then that one crazy idea pops into your head. Sure, you have never attempted anything like that in your life, but hey, why not? It'll be fun to try.

My craziest shot, which I've shared before, was at Shoal Creek in Kansas City, the Sunday following a THP invitational. Par 3, kind of push faded my ball, and my ball goes into the creek area. Well, I believe Spivey found the ball, so I walk down the natural stone retaining wall for the green, and there's my ball, perched up about 8 inches off the ground, resting on top of some weird plant. I have no idea how the leaves or the plant were strong enough to even hold the ball. So I'm maybe 4-6 feet from the retaining wall, and the wall itself was maybe 7 feet tall. The pin was in the front of the green.

So what do I do? People clear out the area, I open up the wedge, and hit the ball. I apparently did ok, b/c the ball launched high. I have no idea how it landed, couldn't see, but it ended up maybe 5-7 feet from the pin.

I don't know how I even made contact with the ball, and I certainly am thankful I didn't just blade it into the retaining wall and hit myself. But it is probably the craziest shot I have ever pulled off.

So what is the craziest shot you have ever pulled off?

~Rock

Unofficial THP gathering at Red Tail this year on a short par 4 I pushed my drive way right, shocking I know. I was nearly pin high but 25 yards deep in the woods but had a very small window to the green that was protected by a bunker. Ignoring the shouts of "take a drop" I took a 7i and put it back in my stance and hit a low punch that just cleared the bunker and wound up 15' from the pin. No way I should've tried that shot.

Punch 5 iron between two trees trying to somehow hit a fade into the green. Pulled it left just missed the tree the ball hits off the rocks in Creek that are 30 yards left of the green. It bounces back across the fairway to catch the curb on the path, bounces back onto the green. I 2 putted for par. It looked like a game of plinko

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

No particular SINGLE shot, but more like a series of shots... fairly long Par 5, dogleg right, rip my tee ball into the woods.
Reload, crush 2nd drive.... fade a fairway wood to the front of the green and then sink about a 25 double breaker.... sort of an "Eagle for Par"

Heck, the more i think about it.... If i hadn't hit the errant drive, and figuring in my handicap, it was a Net 2 on a par 5!!! :bulgy-eyes:
but, you know the saying... If if's and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas

Anyhow, those last 3 shots were WAY over my pay-grade... (sorry for not keeping it to ONE shot)

In a round with GregDan, I hit a rope hook around a tree, over the water to land on the green and stop.
It was a ball I should have just punched 10 yards out from under the trees and had a nice 9 iron into the green, but we were up in our match and it was worth trying.

In a round with GregDan, I hit a rope hook around a tree, over the water to land on the green and stop.
It was a ball I should have just punched 10 yards out from under the trees and had a nice 9 iron into the green, but we were up in our match and it was worth trying.

Almost same scenario. Playing with Alez367 last Monday, I hooked my drive left. Had 2 tall palm trees between me and the green, with a big bushy tree left of the palms. The ball way lying 178 yds out in a dirt section full of pine cones and pine needles. The only options were to punch out, or hook an iron around the trees. I had to start the ball atleast 20 yds right of the green and turn it over to miss the palm trees. Pulled an 8i and hit it perfect. The ball landed on the green 15' away, and finished it off with draining the putt for birdie.

Driver off the deck to get on a par 5 in two from behind a tree. It was 230 yards or so and needed to fade/slice about 60 yards to work.

It was crazy because it was in a tournament and I was somewhere near the top of the board at the time.

Short par 4 playing around 290 that day, entire left side of hole and front of green guarded by lake. There is a little stretch of fairway down the right side that curls into the green. Friend and I decided to go for it just for fun and I hit a perfect draw down the right side that funneled into the green. Then my friend tees it up and also puts one on. I've played this hole many times and that's the only time I've ever seen anyone hit the green. It's not a shot you would normally even try.

Sucker pin placement on the 4th hole at my home course. Par 3. 180 yards to the flag. Quartering wind coming in from the front right. Over a pond. Over a bunker. Hazard to the right. Safe to the left. I stuck it on the flag to about a foot. After my swing, my wife said, "I didn't see it." I of course followed up with, "It's good." It was just one of those shots. No business trying to go for the pin, and it was a darn near perfect result.

Driver off the fairway into a par 5 to within 18 feet. Never forget that one.

I was right behind a pretty large tree, and decided to try a high hook around it just to get close. Caught it perfectly and somehow got it to stick the green as well. I can't draw the ball to save my life, but apparently I can hook it alright. haha

3 wood off the deck from 250 yards out on a Par 5, directly in line with the pin, and landed within 6 feet or less. Of course, that was after hitting my driver left into water and taking a drop, and I couldn't hit the 3 wood like that more than 1 out 20 times or so if I'm lucky. I can't remember if I made the putt or not. I probably didn't and still ended up with a par.

During MC 2.0 in ALT shot. TYNO put us over the green on a side hill lie in basically a forrest. No real shot in sight. I step up take a practice swing. And yell. Here goes keep an eye out. Some how, I hit the only little opening possible. Comes flying out and lands right in the middle of the green. I'm sure they have video of it.

Our first match at #TheGrandaddy with Misike. It was a par 5, I hit my second shot a little right and ended up in the rough, ball above my feet and a crazy stance. I pulled my 8i and stuck it to about 6 feet for birdie.
A crazy shot and much needed at the time during our match.

Ball too close to a tree to take a righty stance...flipped a 5 iron over, took a lefty stance and took a healthy rip...low flier that bounced 20 yards short of the green and ran up. 20 years ago but I think I made par. There was an old guy at the par 3 I played at as a teen and he would make us practice stupid shots like that...turns out it was valuable that one time.

It's not terribly crazy, but through these trees onto the front of the green with a big punched 4i. I've had a lot of practice after missing that fairway to the right.

bc9d2c13903d63dcc1b5b0a2a2f33d22.jpg

There are so many! Two weeks ago I was even par through five holes and teed up on a short 100yrd par three. Proceeded to hit a thin skulled wedge, pulling it hard left into a creek. It hit a rock, bounced onto the green where I two putted for par. Yeah Me!

Hit into a water hazard but the water level was low so there was about a foot of dirt/mud where my ball came to rest. I was probably 100y out. I stood up on the fairway with the ball at least 6 inches below my feet, grabbed a wedge and said why not; let's try it.

My buddy got out his camera to hopefully catch me over swinging and falling in the drink. Instead he caught me dropping it to about 10 feet from the pin. 2 putts for par.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next to a mature tree in the right rough of a short par 4. Caught said tree off the tee so had 150 left to the pin which was on the top of a 2 tier green. Overhanging branches rendered any flights shot non existent. Took an 8 iron, choked down, ball way back. Thought I'd be able to punch it over the green guarding bunker and fly it in to the bank in the middle of the green for it to pop up on to the green/back fringe. Came off perfectly and ended up sinking the resulting 5 footer for a 3.

Still don't know how I managed to pull it off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back