The Jordan Spieth Thread

Great quote on GC, Everyone in his dads era wanted to be like Mike now they want him to be like Jordan.

The kid is fantastic but I think the media is looking for the next Tiger and what his level of dominance was. I just hope he and many other great young golfers are allowed to breath and play the game.

I just don't see him having the same profile as Tiger. He carries himself differently, and I don't think the Tour is unbalanced enough to have another Tiger level performance over the next decade.

They are going to have the work insanely hard to make him the next Tiger.

I just don't see him having the same profile as Tiger. He carries himself differently, and I don't think the Tour is unbalanced enough to have another Tiger level performance over the next decade.

I agree, it just seems to me that the media "GC" is always reaching to anoint someone as the next one. I really think there are so many different personalities of the guys winning that they could reach any fan and we should let them have their own paths to greatness or disappointment.

"it"? What the heck is "it" if Spieth doesn't have it?

Also, what whining? Asking the ball to travel a certain way? Now talking to a golf ball is whining?
Just my take, Dan. Relax. I said I liked the dude. His talking to the ball is different than others, IMO. They all do things some of us don't care for whether it Keenan's antics, Tiger's swearing, or whatever. Spieth's pleading (phrased better?) Is one for me.

Drawing parallels between Spieth and Tiger is natural I guess. But I feel like he's got a ways to go to get to that level. Certainly he is the hottest male professional on this planet. Let's take a step back and look at golf in general. We now have a 21 year old going off the charts for the men, and an 18 year old on the LPGA carrying the torch. I'd say we're in good hands going forward.

Then as was said on the coverage yesterday. The back up singers are pretty damn good on both the men and women's tours.

I was in Germany playing golf six weeks ago, and I was talking to an older gentleman about Spieth. He was absolutely confident Spieth was going to be the next great thing in golf. He said that before the end of 2016, Spieth was going to be a Major winner. I’m not going to lie: I completely disagreed. While recognizing him as a great player, capable of winning a lot on tour, I highly doubted whether he was clutch enough to bag a Major.

I take back every single word I said.

Hopefully Jordan quiets down the old foggies complaining that the modern PGA tour player just over powers a course. Jordan out thought Augusta National. It was fun to watch.

Also, what whining? Asking the ball to travel a certain way? Now talking to a golf ball is whining?

well spoken sir. whatever it is, he definitely has it. don't recall anyone getting on tiger for talking to himself or saying come on tiger when he hits a wayward shot.

spieth is far from "whining".

Jordan is the total package. All around first class and talented young man who will go far. I just hope he doesn't get too dominant...... :alien:

Just my take, Dan. Relax. I said I liked the dude. His talking to the ball is different than others, IMO. They all do things some of us don't care for whether it Keenan's antics, Tiger's swearing, or whatever. Spieth's pleading (phrased better?) Is one for me.
I don't need to relax as I am not excited.

I asked you two questions for a post I thought was a bit out there and I guess you responded to one of the questions. I find it comical that a guy pleading for his golf ball to hit the target he's aiming for annoys someone.

How many other golfers yell fore and point on sunday when their ball misses the fairway? Not many. That is all kinds of classy and he did it a few times yesterday.

He has clearly proven he has the game and composure to win more majors. What a year so far!
He has shown he can win one major. That alone is a helluva feat. Regardless of what he does over the next 30+ years, we are all awfully lucky to have gotten to watch this past weekend.

At one time sitting at the Lowest round ever recorded at the masters at -19.

Tied for the lowest score ever.

Most birdies ever.

Past champions and heavyweights chasing without falling apart.

That sounds like a lot of "it" to me.

Can you imagine the uproar if that "God DMF" would have come out of Jordan's mouth on 13 instead of Tigers this weekend.

I'll take his "Go Hard" all day long.

Can you imagine the uproar if that "God DMF" would have come out of Jordan's mouth on 13 instead of Tigers this weekend.

I'll take his "Go Hard" all day long.

I talk to the ball all the time. I know a lot of guys who talk to the ball and I think it's about as sane as it gets. Why not cheer it on hahahaha?!

"Dangit" and some of the words out of Jordan's mouth aren't just impressive, they are worth emulating. My mouth is terrible in comparison.

I talk to the ball all the time. I know a lot of guys who talk to the ball and I think it's about as sane as it gets. Why not cheer it on hahahaha?!

"Dangit" and some of the words out of Jordan's mouth aren't just impressive, they are worth emulating. My mouth is terrible in comparison.
I liked his on course demeanor. Talking to the ball is something we all do, but most criticize others for when we see it on TV, etc.

Absolutely. I am not nearly as nice to the ball as he is bahaha

Like you said, he proves that there doesn't have to be a censor watching at all times on a golf telecast. Lesson to us all, right there.

If I had one complaint about Jordan's last round, and this is very very nit-picky of me, but he seemed way too calm and collected for the situation he was in. It's obviously a great thing for him, but I kinda wanted to see more fiery celebrations, especially when he was kinda putting the dagger in the field on 15. All we got was calm and cool tiny fist pumps.

Either way, the kid is a phenomenal player and a class act with what seems like everything he does. He says the right thing and does the right thing, and it makes it almost impossible not to like him.

Spieth talking to the ball is a non issue for me. As others have said, his performance was a lot of fun to watch. His touch around the green, his putting, his poise throughout and the way he thought around the course was all very impressive.

Absolutely. I am not nearly as nice to the ball as he is bahaha

Like you said, he proves that there doesn't have to be a censor watching at all times on a golf telecast. Lesson to us all, right there.

They've got the mics right up their back. Every word those pros muttered can let into the broadcast, yet most don't seem to have a mouth appropriate for television haha!

I wonder if he can maintain that style of commentary throughout his career.

Picking apart a guy that seems to be the shot in the arm the tour is looking for just tells me we have some unhappy peeps in the world. Its refreshing to watch a guy like Jordan play at the top of his game. His past 18 months have been stellar. I will watch with great anticipation to see how the rest of his future on tour shakes out.
I liked his on course demeanor. Talking to the ball is something we all do, but most criticize others for when we see it on TV, etc.

Picking apart a guy that seems to be the shot in the arm the tour is looking for just tells me we have some unhappy peeps in the world. Its refreshing to watch a guy like Jordan play at the top of his game. His past 18 months have been stellar. I will watch with great anticipation to see how the rest of his future on tour shakes out.
Agree. 100% agree.

I agree, it just seems to me that the media "GC" is always reaching to anoint someone as the next one. I really think there are so many different personalities of the guys winning that they could reach any fan and we should let them have their own paths to greatness or disappointment.

I think the media feels the need to identify the "Next great athlete" in every sport. The next Barry Sanders, the next Mickey Mantle, the next Michael Jordan, the next Tiger Woods. Almost to the point where we see greatness and feel the need to immediately identify it in the next generation so that we know someone is there to carry the torch. I really like watching Jordan Speith play the game and I really like his demeanor on/off the golf course. It is scary to think he might only be getting better with experience.

If they don't want to hear cursing, don't put the mics on the players. or add a 5 sec delay, very easy fixes to an issue most don't like.
They've got the mics right up their back. Every word those pros muttered can let into the broadcast, yet most don't seem to have a mouth appropriate for television haha!

I wonder if he can maintain that style of commentary throughout his career.

Spieth talking to the ball is a non issue for me. As others have said, his performance was a lot of fun to watch. His touch around the green, his putting, his poise throughout and the way he thought around the course was all very impressive.

I have zero issues with him talking to the ball as I do it all the time. I am more impressed that the ball seems to listen to him a helluva lot more than it does to me. :alien:

At one time sitting at the Lowest round ever recorded at the masters at -19.

Tied for the lowest score ever.

Most birdies ever.

Past champions and heavyweights chasing without falling apart.

That sounds like a lot of "it" to me.
I think Spieth is going to be great, but he has yet to come out and fire away on a Sunday. Of course he didn't need to yesterday and he did more than enough to win. Just looking forward to seeing him post a low number on a Sunday to steal a win.

Back