Picturing the shot

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Are you a golfer than mentally pictures the shot before you swing? How often does that mental picture and the result match?

oh yes, i absolutely try to picture the shot. i pull it off maybe 2/10 times. and that's being generous. i had a playing lesson with my instructor, and he asked if i was someone who saw shapes or someone who saw targets. i thought i was a target guy, but we realized as i would explain the shot there was always a shape with a starting line and ending point. so i'm a shape guy, which i guess means i'm a "picture" guy too.

I do and sometimes it works, other times, not so much.

I try to get a mental picture of what I want the shot to do. My success rate is probably 20%

I would definitely say that I try to picture the shot. The general shot shape tends to match what my mind sees. But the outcome never matches, I am at 0%. I always envision the ball going in the hole.

Yes I am, and the amount it matches goes up as I get more consistent. With putting it's much more.

I stand behind the ball and try to decide what shot I'm going to hit, but I don't go all Jason Day and picture the flight and everything. I just pick an aim point, say "hit it there with a little draw" to myself, then pull the trigger.

I do but I don't remember to do it all the time, when I do take my time to envision the shot I can come close to what I see a lot of the time.

I would definitely say that I try to picture the shot. The general shot shape tends to match what my mind sees. But the outcome never matches, I am at 0%. I always envision the ball going in the hole.

i bet you scream "get in the hole" after every one of your own shots, don't you?

i bet you scream "get in the hole" after every one of your own shots, don't you?
Oh no. It's usually, "are you effing kidding me?"

Yes I am, and the amount it matches goes up as I get more consistent. With putting it's much more.

What I've noticed with me, I have to envision the mechanics of the shot I am trying to hit. Not so much just the flight, but I need to mentally picture the swing.

What I've noticed with me, I have to envision the mechanics of the shot I am trying to hit. Not so much just the flight, but I need to mentally picture the swing.

Same with me. I have to picture the takeaway and tempo too. I envision the swing to match the shot I need, so if I need a punch shot, I try to envision holding off the finish and everything involved.

It's a fun part of the game for me. I love executing a shot how it plays out in my head.

Same with me. I have to picture the takeaway and tempo too. I envision the swing to match the shot I need, so if I need a punch shot, I try to envision holding off the finish and everything involved.

It's a fun part of the game for me. I love executing a shot how it plays out in my head.

Having learned how to control my shots a little more, has opened up a lot of fun but a lot of frustration as well.

Sometimes, not all the time.

As I have been thinking about this, I do more picturing of shots on the range than I do on the course.

Hmm, I had to think about it for a bit but I think I'm definitely more of a target guy.

I try to do it on every shot. I'm very visual when I'm reading putts on the green and most of the time on the tee.

100% I visualize every shot. Maybe twice a round is see exactly what I imagined. The rest of the time it's close but not perfect

This subject brings to mind Jason Day.....the human rain delay. I have a hard time watching him and his lengthy pre shot mental picture routine knowing their are amateurs out there wanting to copy it. Last year I was stuck behind a couple who were literally hacking the ball down the fairway, yet each of them before every shot would stand behind their ball for 5-10 seconds visualizing their next hack! That was one painfully slow round. I don't have a problem with someone standing behind their ball for a couple seconds.....but anything north of 3-4 seconds on every shot is just holding up play for the groups behind. Pace of play/length of a round seems to be a hot button topic.

Last edited:
I find the more I do this the better the outcome, it is rarely exactly how I see it but the results when taking a few seconds to make a plan seem to pay off in much better shots.

It's part of my routine but it's quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% I visualize every shot. Maybe twice a round is see exactly what I imagined. The rest of the time it's close but not perfect

myself as well, also I visualize at the range, and on my practice shots as well. 1-2 times a round perhaps its what I imagined.

Every last shot. I feel that visualizing what shot shape you want can take some of the pressure off..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know what I expect the shot to do. A few times a round I pull it off. Or close enough, haha.

Are you a golfer than mentally pictures the shot before you swing? How often does that mental picture and the result match?

I can't play a straight shot...........and never could.

It's gotta be a shape no matter what happens.

Luckily for me, I am a patient and humble man.

Back