Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
THIS IS A PRESS RELEASE:

TaylorMade Golf Company Names David Abeles as CEO and President

CARLSBAD, Calif. (March 26, 2015) — The adidas Group has appointed David Abeles as CEO of TaylorMade Golf Company with immediate effect. Abeles succeeds Ben Sharpe, who has decided to leave the company for personal reasons. Abeles will report directly into adidas Group CEO Herbert Hainer.

Abeles rejoined the company as President of TaylorMade and Adams Golf last month. A 12-year veteran of TaylorMade Golf Company, Abeles brings a deep executive skill set, leadership competence and business acumen built both within the golf industry as well as in the world of sports. Most recently the CEO of the Competitor Group Inc., Abeles is widely respected within the golf community for his relationships and energetic connection with both the retailer and consumer.

Herbert Hainer, CEO of the adidas Group: "David has a proven track record of success and leadership excellence. I am convinced that David will lead our golf business into the next era of growth. At the same time, I would like to thank Ben for his passion and many contributions to our company over the last nine years and I wish him all the best for his professional and private future.”

Wowzers. Third CEO in just less than a year. Hopefully they can get a little continuity going.

Whoa! Did not see that coming at all. Had a feeling Sharpe wouldn't be around for a long time as he was just kind of the clean up guy.

As a fan of Taylormade gear I hope they turn it around.

First: Hope everything is OK with Sharpe and his family, never like to hear "personal reasons" listed for why someone left their job.
Second: I agree with Hawk, 3 CEOs in a year is not a good look.

Wow, we were just chatting about this and how things were a little tighter and now a new CEO...

First: Hope everything is OK with Sharpe and his family, never like to hear "personal reasons" listed for why someone left their job.
Second: I agree with Hawk, 3 CEOs in a year is not a good look.

Centrainly gives the perception that things may be even worse than they seem.

This definitely caused a groan when reading it. The golf world needs a Taylormade to push companies just like they need companies like Callaway to remind them that there's heat on their heels.

Seems like too much turnover at the top.

I do hope Mr. Sharpe and family are well. Never good to hear about someone being in such a spot where resigning is necessary.

It does stink for the organization to see its third new boss in 11 months. It's tough to steer as big a ship as TaylorMade, and worse when someone new is taking the wheel so often.

3 CEO's in a year....something you don't see very often. Taylormade trying to right the ship, is this going to be the way to do it?

Sounds rough to say the least, let's see how he can make things right. All to best to everyone involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So does this mean the Aeroburner line is getting replaced by something else in a couple months?

(kidding, kidding!)

This definitely caused a groan when reading it. The golf world needs a Taylormade to push companies just like they need companies like Callaway to remind them that there's heat on their heels.

Does a CEO change this? TaylorMade has been spiraling for well over a year. Are they still pushing anyone at all?

I think that's just corporate talk for fired.

Last edited:
Does a CEO change this? TaylorMade has been spiraling for well over a year. Are they still pushing anyone at all?

I'm thinking more of the internal realignment that's been taking place, in terms of inventory curtailment and developing future release cycles. Sharpe may well have been brought in to correct those issues, and now he's out the door, which means Abeles will have to continue the implementation mid-stride. I know anytime there's a CEO change the new guy needs to hit the ground running, but this seems to be without the usual right-seat-ride beforehand.

Consumers still keep buying their stuff, so I'd say yes to a small extent. They need something big though to throw some gas on their fire, and adding another moveable weight won't cut it.

Consumers still keep buying their stuff, so I'd say yes to a small extent. They need something big though to throw some gas on their fire, and adding another moveable weight won't cut it.

I think more pleated apparel would be a good start.

I think more pleated apparel would be a good start.

I mean, I'd buy it.

But really, they need lightning in a bottle here. Or, at least a spark. Maybe a... "Boost?"

I mean, I'd buy it.

But really, they need lightning in a bottle here. Or, at least a spark. Maybe a... "Boost?"

well played sir

Whoa! Did not see that coming at all. Had a feeling Sharpe wouldn't be around for a long time as he was just kind of the clean up guy.

We will be there in a few days.

I mean, I'd buy it.

A thriving TM is good for everyone. Hell, 10 years ago, all I played was TM. I still think they make a good iron but the rest of their stuff just doesnt do it for me. I think as a company, they need a philosophy change. Maybe change their target demo a bit too. I, for one, don't care if they have the #1 driver on tour. I care that when I hit that driver anywhere but in the absolute center it went no where.

I really hope TaylorMade gets back on track and in the black. Though I'm a Callaway guy, TM is what drives them to make even better products, so I want to see them succeed just as well as the others.

Back