2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got back to the gym after a week off with cold/flu that turned into a sinus infection. Wow did I get my butt wooped tonight. By the time I was done my white shirt was see through lol. I have to say I actually missed the gym. Stinks when you get off course and have to dive back in. Hopefully my one on one won't be as bad Friday.

I started using MyFitnessPal to track my food this week. I learned that I'm starving myself. I'm eating a lot more than normal this week and still only eating 1700-ish calories. When I go to the gym, I'm about 1500 calories below my burn rate. I'm using a FitBit Charge HR and a heartrate monitor during workouts so its real. Apparently, its tough for me to lose weight because my body is storing off all that I've been eating as fat because I was too low in calories.

I also did some questionnaires to determine my macronutrient needs. The Biggest Loser uses this philosophy. I'm a Slow Oxidizer so I need 50% Carbs/30% Fat/20% Protein. Its interesting to see how that stuff works too.

Crazy revelation!!! I'll add that I have a lot more energy... go figure :)

Yep, you've put your body into starvation mode. 50% carbs with only 20% protein seems backwards to me, but whatever works, I guess. I used 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbs and 2400 calories when I lost all of my weight.

Yep, you've put your body into starvation mode. 50% carbs with only 20% protein seems backwards to me, but whatever works, I guess. I used 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbs and 2400 calories when I lost all of my weight.

It depends on your body... like you said. If you google "metabolic type" there's a lot of good info out there.

Skipped upper body yesterday (Wednesday). Going to hit it up this morning, just not looking forward to those incline curls.

The 50% carbs and 20% protein was pretty darn close to the dietary structure of Mike Mentzer. This guy...

Mike_Mentzer.jpg

The 50% carbs and 20% protein was pretty darn close to the dietary structure of Mike Mentzer. This guy...

Mike_Mentzer.jpg
Yeah. And he's a big dude and I would understand 50% carbs with someone like that. Carbs are fuel for muscle building, and I've got that part. But for someone who's not spending hours in the gym a day with the primary goal to lose weight it seemed odd to me mainly because carbs are my kryptonite when I'm cutting like I am now. I'm one of those people who love carbs. Bread, pasta, rice... I love it. But it doesn't love me when it comes to body fat.

Finally got back to the gym after a week off with cold/flu that turned into a sinus infection. Wow did I get my butt wooped tonight. By the time I was done my white shirt was see through lol. I have to say I actually missed the gym. Stinks when you get off course and have to dive back in. Hopefully my one on one won't be as bad Friday.

Yeah that's what happened to me too, Andy. I was hoping that being sick I'd lose weight from not eating, but it didn't happen. Just not enough activity as I stayed on the couch for basically 4 days.

And I finally broke down & drank diet coke instead of water. But I'm back up & running & eating better & starting to add a little weight training.

Down to 195 lb today. That's 20 lb lost since Feb 3. Hopefully I can lose another 20 before Old Silo (which looks like it'll start my outdoor golf season at this rate).

Yeah. And he's a big dude and I would understand 50% carbs with someone like that. Carbs are fuel for muscle building, and I've got that part. But for someone who's not spending hours in the gym a day with the primary goal to lose weight it seemed odd to me mainly because carbs are my kryptonite when I'm cutting like I am now. I'm one of those people who love carbs. Bread, pasta, rice... I love it. But it doesn't love me when it comes to body fat.
When you're cutting, carbs can add roundness. But your body needs carbs. Not all carbs are the same. You know that, I'm just stating for the group. Veggies and whole grains are good. And are still carbs.

2015 Fitness and Weight-loss Thread

2015 Fitness and Weight-loss Thread

I've learned running/working out with the movie 300 on makes for good production.

Need to get in the gym but I am down over 25# since Jan 9. I am within 10# pounds of where I was when I ran my half-marathons.

I downloaded myfitnesspal on Monday and have been keeping track all week. It's very eye opening. Eating pretty much normal for me all week and I barely get to 1500 cals. After exercise I'm typically lower.

Also been using a HR monitor for exercise and bought a misfit flash today as a trial fitness/sleep monitor. It was on sale for $35 so i figured what the heck.

Unless you're a toddler or little person, 1500 calories is way to low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am digging my Surge.....who knew I walked so many steps on the golf course. Love the GPS.

I am digging my Surge.....who knew I walked so many steps on the golf course. Love the GPS.

I went with the Charge HR...

Dont make me ponder a Surge.

I went for the charge and they were sold out and had 2 Surges so just bit the bullet. I'm glad I did.

Ugh.

Didnt need to see this.

Ugh.

Didnt need to see this.

You doing all that biking the GPS would be right up your alley! We do hikes and its spot on. Kind of fun to go back and see how much area you covered.

You doing all that biking the GPS would be right up your alley! We do hikes and its spot on. Kind of fun to go back and see how much area you covered.

If only the fitbit had something for cycling.

Use my garmin computer for that, check power and HR and what not.

If only the fitbit had something for cycling.

Use my garmin computer for that, check power and HR and what not.

As you know it has the HR which combined with the GPS would be interesting for cycling.

As you know it has the HR which combined with the GPS would be interesting for cycling.

The Charge HR i am using does the heartrate as well, going to try and sync it to my garmin.

Just starting to get back into fitness, just got a fit bit flex, really nice to track calories in and a rough calorie out, started out on the first at 318, would like to loose 80-100 over the next year and a bit, started by getting back to healthy eating and slowly starting the excercising, planing to do a mix of DDP yoga, p90x and cardio until I get the courage built up to go to the gym! Many thanks to the guys that recommended DDP yoga! Definitely kicked my butt tonight

I downloaded the JEFIT app last night and will be trying that out for tracking my workouts. Has anyone else used an app to track workouts besides Surge or fitness bracelets?

Upped it this week. More of a plan, moving from workout to workout, getting much more accomplished in the same time frame.

Leg day today was not nearly as brutal as last week. Definite progress.

Upped it this week. More of a plan, moving from workout to workout, getting much more accomplished in the same time frame.

Leg day today was not nearly as brutal as last week. Definite progress.
What was your leg day like? What were your lifts, sets and reps? No need to share weights used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back