would you play blades?

Not only would I, I actually can't wait to give blades a try!

I'll give you my address for a set of new Titleist 716CB's.........

Sure. I am not a great iron player to begin with so why not try something harder to hit. May be a blessing for all I know.

As a Ben Hogan fan I have much respect for the blades and would give it a shot with pride and when others shoot better than me have a good excuse for it - they're playing with "easy" clubs

Club manager has some J15 Mb would love to try.

Yes, but having played blades for long time, I'm probably not the target demographic for the question. I choose to use player CBs these days, but there is something so sexy about a good looking blade. I've considered switching back.

For sure, been playing blades since 2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only if they were KZG Forged Blades with Tour Flighted Rifle 6.0 shafts, 2° flat, -1/2" length, standard lofts.

Found them to be very forgiving compared to any other blades I'd tried. Loved them.

Only moved away due to my being an unabashed club 'ho at the time. I was more interested in trying new toys than finding what worked. It was a period where I definitely loved golf equipment more than the game itself.

I'll check ebay from time to time, couple sellers have new heads in the $180- $200 range.

Sure....I'm game. Just let me know when you're ready to order my Z965's and I'll send my specs. I have rented clubs at many courses during travels and have been given choice between blades or beat up old irons and always chose the blades. As long as I swung easy and hit the sweet spot they went pretty straight and luckily shot some low rounds over the years.

Sure. I am not a great iron player to begin with so why not try something harder to hit. May be a blessing for all I know.

It would take about 20-30 minutes for a 5.8 hdcp. player like yourself to make the adjustment.

Don't sell yourself short.

I could hit my Ping G15's just as crappy as the Titleist 990-B's that I have in the bag right now.

As a Ben Hogan fan I have much respect for the blades and would give it a shot with pride and when others shoot better than me have a good excuse for it - they're playing with "easy" clubs

Many of the Hogan forgings "new and old" are pretty friendly to hit.

Give em a try...... you might be pleasantly surprised how easy they play.

I also think the blade has evolved a bit from the butter knives a lot of folks think about when they hear "Muscle Back" The Srixon 965, Titleist MB and the Cobra MB, Yonex and even to a degree the T MB (not a true blade at all) are much more weight balanced (more mass behind the ball) is what I mean, certainly not a lot but better than the old days.

No I wouldn't the blades I play are a great fit for me.

Try a lower bend point shaft in a blade first. Hogan was famous for the spalding shaft. It had a longer parallel shaft section under the last step.
Hogan Apex 4i 11-1/4 inches parallel tip section
Macgregor MT Tourneys M85 (called the propel shaft) the 4i parallel tip section is 10-1/4 inches
My DG XP X100 4i is 7-1/4 inches
Now measure your 4i hosel to first step blade iron
Lets say you picked up a set if Titleist MB blades with High bend point DG S300...hard clicky, small sweet spot, low traj...very un-friendly!
Give DG XP a try in a blade with 1025c...magic!

Nope. Not a chance.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Not at this point of my game.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

no because i've grown accustomed to my current distance, and i know i'd lose 1.5-2 full clubs switching to blades. i played mp-67s for about a year. it was fun and they feel great when you hit it well, but there's no objective reason to play blades, only the subjective reason of desire.

I guess if you're talking a club like the M2 vs MP-4, then you might lose distance, but I saw less than a half club distance loss between the Apex Pro and my Mizunos. If you're comparing clubs with the same loft, the max height may be higher on a cavity back (based on weighting), but the distance is basically the same. At least that's what I see on a consistent basis.

I hit my Apex Pro 6i 186, where I hit my MP-4 6i 183 on the same launch monitor (at GG). That's so close that I don't care about the difference.

I guess if you're talking a club like the M2 vs MP-4, then you might lose distance, but I saw less than a half club distance loss between the Apex Pro and my Mizunos. If you're comparing clubs with the same loft, the max height may be higher on a cavity back (based on weighting), but the distance is basically the same. At least that's what I see on a consistent basis.

I hit my Apex Pro 6i 186, where I hit my MP-4 6i 183 on the same launch monitor (at GG). That's so close that I don't care about the difference.

j15df vs j15mb was 2 clubs less. It's very much a design thing. My point is that blades are unnecessary. I can't think of anything that you can do with blades that you can't do with a player's cavity, so it only comes down to preference rather than performance. I certainly don't fault anyone for choosing blades.

Yup!! In the bag. But only a combo set. Need the help of a CB or greater in the long irons

86ddba7b1f5e2a2705bc22d43312d50a.jpg

Yep I would game blades for a year

I don't think I could do it. I have a set of Hogan Radials in the garage that I am tempted to play again but the forgiveness I have gotten from my Adams super s irons makes the game a little easier. But boy do the newer offerings out there look so good, it's tempting.

Yes! I love the feel of a good forged blades.

Yup!! In the bag. But only a combo set. Need the help of a CB or greater in the long irons

86ddba7b1f5e2a2705bc22d43312d50a.jpg

Nice set up.

Sure. What's the worst that could happen?

Plus, I'd just blame the club for everything.

Depending on the blades in question, sure!

Back