Getting Kids Involved

formula8

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It seems like most peoples biggest regret was not starting earlier. What would have made you get into golf at an earlier age? What have you done to get your own kids involved?

I have a 5 month old and she has already been to the range a few times and got a set of plastic clubs for Xmas. I'm just trying to expose her to the game and hope she takes an interest.

I don't think anything specific would've got me into Golf. I played soccer, baseball, and basketball from 8-17 and stopped playing competitively and just played recreationally.

Think the only thing that would've worked is to have the passion I have now for Golf at age 5! hah.

I think, that with kids, you have to find a way to make golf fun for them, finding their fun is the challenge; do that and you'll hook them on the game...

I think, that with kids, you have to find a way to make golf fun for them, finding their fun is the challenge; do that and you'll hook them on the game...

I was thinking about this same concept this morning. I have a toddler who isn't old enough yet, but I envision us going to the range once a week when she is about 4 or 5. I'd like to just start her out with putting games. Even if it is for 15 minutes at a time, that's how I want to start it out.

I think exposing them early is the best thing to do without pushing them. My parents didn't play so I got a late start. My 4 year old watches me chip around the yard and wants to do the same now. Says he wants to golf with daddy and his friends. Monkey see, monkey do.

Look for courses that have a good juniors program. At the least, find one that has a day that encourages people to bring out their kids to play. We had Sundays after 2, where kids played for free and the parent played for 18 bucks.

Back