TaylorMade Debuts Outlet Store

I think TMaG saw the writing on the #RegionalRivalry wall and decided to open their first store in the winning region. #Carolinas
Then they picked a solid place to sell second hand gear to second tier players

Then they picked a solid place to sell second hand gear to second tier players

Have a change of heart about having the first store in Florida?

Last edited:
I kind of think that a store like this would be of significant benefit to a guy like me. I never go buy the latest equipment. I have no problem waiting 6 months-a year for the retail price to drop significantly. The biggest issue that brings is lack of options available at a particular store. I would think a place like this would have a large enough inventory that somebody walking in there would have no problem finding the club they want with the shaft they want...or an iron set that is built to specs other than standard. And most likely there will be plenty of options in the demo rack to get a year and a half old driver tuned to your swing instead of just having to take what they have left. As long as they price the stuff similar to what any other retailer prices it once the newer stuff gets released that is.

Great idea for getting rid of excess inventory there will be one close to me so even better

That's a great idea, it should do well.

interesting idea but I don't think it'll be a place everyone HAS to go to for golf.

Interesting. It will be interesting to see if this pays off for them.

I dont care what anyone says. This is screwing the little shops that carry their products. I loathe Taylormade and will never bag one of their products.

Interesting they are choosing a brick and mortar option instead of online, much more costly. If they allow inventory returns from the retailers that they have to liquidate could be a positive. To be fair, they will need to do that for all of the retailers and not just the large ones.

I dont care what anyone says. This is screwing the little shops that carry their products. I loathe Taylormade and will never bag one of their products.

Actually, it may do quite the opposite in the long run. The small shop that I shop at is allowed to return last year's clubs for a credit towards their current line when it is released. I believe that most places that are not big box stores like Dick's operate on this same principle. So instead of holding on to last year's models which they have to lower the price on with the market, they get full credit towards the current line that they will actually make more money off of. People who want last year's model at a discounted price have a place to go still, and the pro shop isn't stuck with inventory that they must sell at discounted prices when they can roll those funds into the current line-up.

The only businesses that may get screwed would be big box stores that order thousands of pieces at a discounted rate.

Gives me another reason to visit Myrtle. Other than the nice weather, golfing and the free place to stay while down there!

I heard some very interesting commentary today on PGA Tour radio on Siruius/XM about how TM could be viewed as a competitor now to other golf shops and whether or not those shops would stop carrying TM equipment.

I would think that as long as they stick with last year's overstock items that it wouldn't be much of an issue. But if they offer the current lines in their stores, I can see where that would cause a conflict.

If they are giving credit to the local stores towards new lines and carrying used/old lines only this is a pretty win/win situation. Taylormade can sell their older product at a discount and get tourists and golfers in there and the local shops can have the new product. If they start selling new product and new lines of clothing and shoes this could get ugly quick.

I know pretty much nothing about retail, so I have no comment on what this will do to local stores, but I hope they open one here in Washington state !

Actually, it may do quite the opposite in the long run. The small shop that I shop at is allowed to return last year's clubs for a credit towards their current line when it is released. I believe that most places that are not big box stores like Dick's operate on this same principle. So instead of holding on to last year's models which they have to lower the price on with the market, they get full credit towards the current line that they will actually make more money off of. People who want last year's model at a discounted price have a place to go still, and the pro shop isn't stuck with inventory that they must sell at discounted prices when they can roll those funds into the current line-up.

The only businesses that may get screwed would be big box stores that order thousands of pieces at a discounted rate.
My buddy who owns a local shop said that the "credit" they receive is still taking a financial loss for him. Then he gets stuck with more and more crap product as they release 2 more drivers month later. Its a never ending carousel of losing money. He says hes going to discontinue Taylormade.

My buddy who owns a local shop said that the "credit" they receive is still taking a financial loss for him. Then he gets stuck with more and more crap product as they release 2 more drivers month later. Its a never ending carousel of losing money. He says hes going to discontinue Taylormade.

Then order less.

While I understand that is an exaggeration, they did nothing of the sort. They released SLDR and then JetSpeed. Then about a year later released the non-adjustable version of SLDR. Then well over a year after release of SLDR, they released R15 and AeroBurner.

The idea that its up to the company to stop manufacturing goods is crazy.

Will this have an affect on the Ashworth outlets that currently exsist? I hope not really, cause I like being able to shop in those stores.

Having shopped some of the golf shops in Myrtle Beach when I was there a couple of years ago, I hope the prices are better than those stores. I thought the prices at the "big box" stores were high and stuff that was even on clearance had high prices IMO.

Then order less.

While I understand that is an exaggeration, they did nothing of the sort. They released SLDR and then JetSpeed. Then about a year later released the non-adjustable version of SLDR. Then well over a year after release of SLDR, they released R15 and AeroBurner.

The idea that its up to the company to stop manufacturing goods is crazy.
Dont forget the Mini driver!

Dont forget the Mini driver!

Seriously? Its a 2 wood and stores got so few. But sure, throw that in. That was about a year after SLDR release too.
So where is this couple of months thing?
Again, maybe the store should just order less.

EDIT: Oh you must be talking about the new Ping G30 that came out a few months later, making it the 3rd G30 in about 90 days. :alien:

This is how I see it too. Another guess here is that much of the sales will be to tourist, not so much the local clientele. As an old married guy who also has raised three now adult daughters, I've killed more than my share of vacation time enduring yet another outlet mall they just had to stop at. TM or any golf outlet would be a welcome diversion in any of them. Kudos!

Last edited:
I've never understood the hatred towards company business decisions. If the model that the company uses doesn't suit you, you don't have to give them your business, but I don't see where giving the consumer more choices (and less expensive in the process) is a bad thing. The consumer speaks, and if people didn't want TM to come out with 2 new drivers every year, they wouldn't buy them and TM would quit making them. Capitalism works.

Last edited:
Seriously? Its a 2 wood and stores got so few. But sure, throw that in. That was about a year after SLDR release too.
So where is this couple of months thing?
Again, maybe the store should just order less.

EDIT: Oh you must be talking about the new Ping G30 that came out a few months later, making it the 3rd G30 in about 90 days. :alien:
Im not gonna go into this argument again. But Ping is now done releasing drivers for almost 2years

Im not gonna go into this argument again. But Ping is now done releasing drivers for almost 2years

But lets just say this here. They are NOT done releasing drivers for 2 years.

:blob::banana:

Back