MPF Rating and Shafts

salisboss

RIP Jake 8/17/01-9/21/14
Reaction score
Handicap
Have people had success finding a shaft using the MPF ratings on GolfWorks. I came out as a 4B2M which gave me a ton of shafts. Have people had success with this and a jumping off point?

Have people had success finding a shaft using the MPF ratings on GolfWorks. I came out as a 4B2M which gave me a ton of shafts. Have people had success with this and a jumping off point?

I have not personally. So much depends on the head.

It seems that some brands vary so much from the others it's hard to find them with the exact same character. To me I get the facts on one that I know and then compare to what I'm considering purchase, like flex point , torque, and weight. It might put you in a ballpark area but has Howzat said really depends on what you are putting the shafts in.

It's hard to say, because I have trouble even figuring out how to use the MPF system.

When determining the SPF flex code, are you supposed to use the 150-yard club choice only to select iron shafts and the driver clubhead speed only to select driver shafts?

Or can I, for example, use my driver clubhead speed to determine the SPF flex code even though the shaft I'm looking for is an iron shaft?

I tried it for fun and it said I was 5D3H and there were no shaft matches. Not sure what it means but it seems like a pretty vague fitting tool.

It's fun to play around with and for general idea but everyone's swing is so unique in length, transition and other factors that with out actual testing the shaft most will be completely guessing.

I assume for a fitter who knows the data vs what your hitting and what you need out of a shaft that they can use the MPF to dial you in.

When determining the SPF flex code, are you supposed to use the 150-yard club choice only to select iron shafts and the driver clubhead speed only to select driver shafts?

I hate seeing the what's your 150 club question because that will vary depending on how "hot" the club face is vs another club. I know it's the simplest form for those who know nothing else about their game but it still drives me crazy.

Yeah, it seems that you need to already know what shaft is good for you, and then the MPF will point you to shafts that are more or less similar. Because...

...what if you use an iron with a shaft that doesn't suit your swing to determine the 150-yard club? Then the system will just point you to shafts that also are more or less not suited to your swing.

...I assume for a fitter who knows the data vs what your hitting and what you need out of a shaft that they can use the MPF to dial you in.

...I hate seeing the what's your 150 club question because that will vary depending on how "hot" the club face is vs another club....

I just tried it and came out with 5D1M and no shafts match that. Not a lot of questions and I think it is severely lacking in the fitting department.

I went through the options and it put me in stiff shafts that in my would be way too stiff for my swing per my fitting. I like the shaft options but I will be looking at R flex versions.

Bringing an older thread back to life...

I was wondering if opinions on this have changed or if anyone has anything more to offer on this subject.

As I'm currently teaching myself shaft technology and club building, I have found the MPF chart a great place to start when choosing what will work for me or what a certain set of specs will produce based on my swing. I'm a major "tinker thinker", learning by doing. The way I see it is that I don't mind spending the money with trial and error as long as I am learning. Hard to do that if I pay someone to fit me in a shaft only sharing what information they want, but not always the why with details.

Thoughts?

I was wondering if opinions on this have changed or if anyone has anything more to offer on this subject.

As I'm currently teaching myself shaft technology and club building, I have found the MPF chart a great place to start when choosing what will work for me or what a certain set of specs will produce based on my swing. I'm a major "tinker thinker", learning by doing. The way I see it is that I don't mind spending the money with trial and error as long as I am learning. Hard to do that if I pay someone to fit me in a shaft only sharing what information they want, but not always the why with details.

Thoughts?

Like you I've tinkered with many sets and combination of shafts, there isn't a start point per se, but I've used the torque rating a lot to get a range of what I know will fit my swing profile. While torque rating isn't everything but it's a good enough indicator for me to start with and then you look at the kick point and spin profile. There isn't a universal tool, even at fittings it's basically trial and error just with better equipment and more variations, provided you like the fun of doing your own trials, just start with one shaft and go from there.

provided you like the fun of doing your own trials, just start with one shaft and go from there.

This is exactly where I'm at. To a fault, I love to figure things out by just trying it.

Thoughts?

I don't really pay much attention to the letters in the system. I'm not really certain how much a shaft can aid in correcting ball flight or adding distance. It seems like the intended head and the player's swing will factor much more prominently. To me trying to select a shaft to, say, correct a slice is a fool's errand. I find the numbers useful as they are a quick reference for the shaft flex and launch.

I don't really pay much attention to the letters in the system. I'm not really certain how much a shaft can aid in correcting ball flight or adding distance. It seems like the intended head and the player's swing will factor much more prominently. To me trying to select a shaft to, say, correct a slice is a fool's errand. I find the numbers useful as they are a quick reference for the shaft flex and launch.

I agree that you can't buy a fix, but I have seen it tame issues. For example the Rogue stock stiff flex on the M1 and the stock SLDR shafts were slice factories for me as well as high ballooners. Step to the Grafalloy Prolaunch Red in regular and the flight is better and the slice not so prominent. Didn't fix it (didn't expect it to), but made it manageable for my swing.

Aside from being well aware that my swing is the real problem, without being a shaft tech-head the number system has helped me as I go down this road of learning for my game.

I always believed that a shaft fitting your swing tempo is paramount to the head you put it in, it doesn't matter how forgiving the head is, if the shaft doesn't fit you to allow you to square up and hit it in the center. With that said, a proper fitted combo with the shaft and head working together, that's when you have a winning club for the long haul.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

a proper fitted combo with the shaft and head working together, that's when you have a winning club for the long haul.

Totally agree. As I have said in other posts, I was burned on my first fitting. So this journey I am on I about educating myself so that I won't get burned again. I'm one of those thick skulls that learns by getting knocked down over and over again. In this case, by building a couple of clubs to understand what is going on behind the magic curtain.

Totally agree. As I have said in other posts, I was burned on my first fitting. So this journey I am on I about educating myself so that I won't get burned again. I'm one of those thick skulls that learns by getting knocked down over and over again. In this case, by building a couple of clubs to understand what is going on behind the magic curtain.
I have a very similar experience with my latest fitting and I've since built my own simulated moi matched set and learned a lot about what I like in a set of irons as well as all the specs and how to tweak them. I definitely enjoyed the process and learning experience.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Back