Cleveland CG Black Custom Driver Preview

I think Miyazaki did themselves in with offering their shafts in the Mashie, old CG Black and Classic line clubs. Those can be had at the end of the season for pennies.

Hard to sell a shaft for $250 when its in a new Classic XL Custom driver for $79 on eBay.

I strongly recommend trying out the combo they are working with before thinking that. It works tremendously well and since Miyazaki is sticking to a different market, they did a great job with the latest pairings the last 3 times.

I am quite a fan of the Miyazaki shafts, my bias showed, it is a known commodity to me. The Bassara 50 is no doubt an excellent pairing with this driver and I would most likely like it as well

Clean looking driver, I like it a lot.

The store near me finally got these in stock. While I found the regular CG black a bit too light, I was more comfortable swinging the custom. I only had a few swings with it, but I was making good contact, and I liked the ball flight I saw (on the trackman). Definitely a club I'd like to spend more time with.

Are there only three loft settings with 1.5* of separation? Hard to tell from the picture. I'm not real fond of the look of it but more clubhead speed is always nice.

Are there only three loft settings with 1.5* of separation? Hard to tell from the picture. I'm not real fond of the look of it but more clubhead speed is always nice.
Head is adjustable from 9 to 12 degrees

Head is adjustable from 9 to 12 degrees
So just the three settings then; 9*, 10.5*, or 12*? The Cleveland site doesn't really show anything about the hosel.

So just the three settings then; 9*, 10.5*, or 12*? The Cleveland site doesn't really show anything about the hosel.

At first I was going to say the Cleveland adapter is a 12 way version, so 1/2° increments and a few draw settings. However, their website says there are four distinct settings. That's all I can find.

762ba9e357d200e1e988e0892191f547.jpg

5cab65aa571979a2ee3c5dcafb292bd5.jpg

d74ebc74cbfa656453f823e0ee7a7300.jpg

A nice looking setup right there

Good looking club

Well hello there.

Oh how I can't wait to give that a spin here on Saturday

I really like the look of this driver. The standard black was just a little too far on the light spectrum for me, but when I hit it solid it flew. Looking forward to getting some swings in with this one.

Anyone playing this? Thoughts on spin, forgives and distance would be appreciated.

Anyone playing this? Thoughts on spin, forgives and distance would be appreciated.
I wish...probably the last driver i hit well when playing. The light shaft was great for me saw solid distance and very forgiving out on the toe. No clue on spin but i saw a nice mid to high ball flight

I wish...probably the last driver i hit well when playing. The light shaft was great for me saw solid distance and very forgiving out on the toe. No clue on spin but i saw a nice mid to high ball flight
Its a freaking bomber. A cure for the knuckleball...

An update for anyone interested. I'm fairly new here and thought I'd share some thoughts on this Driver.

I've been wanting some "improved" clubs and even though I have enjoyed my Adams A7os Pre Built Set from 5 or 6 years ago, it's time to upgrade.

This Driver was advertised on Revolution Golf for $199 with a $25 Golfballs.com Gift Certificate.

After a little research here and on the Cleveland site, why not get it and give it a whirl?

A few days later, I got fitted for the Cleveland Black CB Iron set, a Cleveland Black #3 Fairway Metal and a Cleveland Black Cart Bag. I'm still awaiting those....but the Driver arrived last week.

It does have four settings...9*, 10.5*, 10.5*Fade and 12*. I took it to the fitting guy at the shop and he simply asked how my shot normally went, set it on the 10.5*Fade and away I went. Not very scientific or techno.

When you've been playing an Adams 10.5* Speed Line Stock Set Driver, anything has got to be better!

Anyways, I've hit with it at the range maybe 3 times and played two 18 hole rounds. It's a savior for my game! I could not miss the fairway today. Straight, slight Draw, Slight Fade. I'm normally slicing off to the right every dive, not with this. It has a great feel and sound to it.

And my distance, according to the cart GPS from tee to drive out, was 220 to 240 yards and it rained most of the round.

I'm 55 and really started playing more than 20 rounds a year in 2014, nothing in the prior 25 years(Kids and Work).

The rest of my set should arrive in the next few days. Golf Pride MCC PLUS4 grips on everything.

It's actually exciting to be hitting some great shots. And having others high-fiving you too!

An update for anyone interested. I'm fairly new here and thought I'd share some thoughts on this Driver.

I've been wanting some "improved" clubs and even though I have enjoyed my Adams A7os Pre Built Set from 5 or 6 years ago, it's time to upgrade.

This Driver was advertised on Revolution Golf for $199 with a $25 Golfballs.com Gift Certificate.

After a little research here and on the Cleveland site, why not get it and give it a whirl?

A few days later, I got fitted for the Cleveland Black CB Iron set, a Cleveland Black #3 Fairway Metal and a Cleveland Black Cart Bag. I'm still awaiting those....but the Driver arrived last week.

It does have four settings...9*, 10.5*, 10.5*Fade and 12*. I took it to the fitting guy at the shop and he simply asked how my shot normally went, set it on the 10.5*Fade and away I went. Not very scientific or techno.

When you've been playing an Adams 10.5* Speed Line Stock Set Driver, anything has got to be better!

Anyways, I've hit with it at the range maybe 3 times and played two 18 hole rounds. It's a savior for my game! I could not miss the fairway today. Straight, slight Draw, Slight Fade. I'm normally slicing off to the right every dive, not with this. It has a great feel and sound to it.

And my distance, according to the cart GPS from tee to drive out, was 220 to 240 yards and it rained most of the round.

I'm 55 and really started playing more than 20 rounds a year in 2014, nothing in the prior 25 years(Kids and Work).

The rest of my set should arrive in the next few days. Golf Pride MCC PLUS4 grips on everything.

It's actually exciting to be hitting some great shots. And having others high-fiving you too!

Thanks for the thoughts on this. It's a club I've been meaning to get some swings in with for a while. Glad it's working well for you.

Great to see another happy Cleveland convert, all of their clubs are very under rated except for their wedges of course, enjoy :)

Back