jlukes Attempts to Fix His Swing

I have been doing yoga and strength building for months.

Not sure how you're able to identify the fact that I "lack golfer strength"

I guess you need Hans and Franz, Joe :)

I have been doing yoga and strength building for months.

Not sure how you're able to identify the fact that I "lack golfer strength"

I guess you need Hans and Franz, Joe :)

Guess I need them too, because I'm not even sure what "golfer strength" is.

Hands low address / goat hump and steep. Your body is protecting you from getting hurt . If you want a great motion than it is a complete project ( gym and lessons ) . I'm strong as an ox , but I lack golfer strength and flexibility . More I bought into this , the more progress we can make . This is a lifestyle commitment.. The shaft shallows from flexibility

Hands low address / goat hump and steep. Your body is protecting you from getting hurt . If you want a great motion than it is a complete project ( gym and lessons ) . I'm strong as an ox , but I lack golfer strength and flexibility . More I bought into this , the more progress we can make . This is a lifestyle commitment.. The shaft shallows from flexibility

Alright then.

I'm sorry but this just missed the mark by two fairways. His swing is his swing, just like yours is yours.

The fact that he can send the ball down the fairway means he has 'golfer strength'. His issue has to do with sequence and trust not 'golfer strength' #stronglikebull

Panda - this neutral grip thing is working wonders!

I'm sorry but this just missed the mark by two fairways. His swing is his swing, just like yours is yours.

The fact that he can send the ball down the fairway means he has 'golfer strength'. His issue has to do with sequence and trust not 'golfer strength' #stronglikebull

I agree and then some. Driving the green and over on a handful of par 4s in OC would make me think Joe's got some "golfer strength" at least.

So I realized today that over the course of a year I've lost about 4.5% club head speed across the board (down from 110 to 105 with the driver), yet I'm in the best physical shape I've been in since 2007. Something telling me I've gotten too handsy (my tendency to miss left) and that has something to do with it.

Last edited:
You've lost club head speed and your assessment is you're too handsy? How do you get to that conclusion

You've lost club head speed and your assessment is you're too handsy? How do you get to that conclusion
I'm just assuming things right now as I haven't had a chance to record video recently. The main reason is because I feel like I'm flipping with my irons, causing me to miss out on the toe a lot, leading to weak draws.

Again, need to take some recent videos to truly find out where I'm being inefficient.

You should work on your take away and posture. More your posture, because your back swing is very contorted and leaves you in questionable positions.

You should work on your take away and posture. More your posture, because your back swing is very contorted and leaves you in questionable positions.
Been a big focus this offseason. The k vest was eye opening. Been really working on my core strength to help promote better posture

I read the first 4 pages of this thread then looked at the date. I did not read the rest. It may help if you go back to the basics, that is, feet together shots, 3/4 wedges shots as in the first pages of this thread. Another thing that hitting off mats can mask flaws. I usually hover the club if I have to hit off of mats. Then once you get back on grass the truth comes out. Good luck.

What does this impact comparison (Keegan vs me) say about my swing? Looks like I'm not releasing my hips.

e801ff0e513a96269898f9d4ca699fff.jpg
7754cbbb83430ba1479ed22f77398f63.jpg

What does this impact comparison (Keegan vs me) say about my swing? Looks like I'm not releasing my hips.

e801ff0e513a96269898f9d4ca699fff.jpg
7754cbbb83430ba1479ed22f77398f63.jpg

When and where was this picture taken?

the thing i notice about those pics is that your shoulder line is closed pretty dramatically to your target line, where keegan's is not. and yes, your hips are too closed as well. my guess is you have to really fire that right hand to try to square the clubface, and you either hook the crap out of the ball, or hit dead blocks. maybe focusing on that lower body action - getting your hip to pull open and clear - will help you get the back of your left hand more square at impact. i also wonder a bit about your grip; the back of your left hand appears to be pointing down a line that is parallel with your shoulders, but the clubface is much more square than that line, so maybe your grip was really strong?

Yeah the grip was extremely strong at the time and the miss was a low hook.

I've eliminated the hook for the most part, but you're right that I'm still relying on my hands too much to square the club face because I'm not getting the hips and shoulders through the ball

Most amateurs do not use their lower body so I would not worry about to much. I would however worry about hitting the ball with you left hand instead of your right. Pulling through the zone is better than hitting at it. Look at Keegans left hand, the back of it is down the line. Your is pointed to the right.

Most amateurs do not use their lower body so I would not worry about to much. I would however worry about hitting the ball with you left hand instead of your right. Pulling through the zone is better than hitting at it. Look at Keegans left hand, the back of it is down the line. Your is pointed to the right.
Thanks dude. I'll have have to post a more recent picture of impact to see how much difference there is since I weakened my grip. Definitely need to slow that right hand down and lead with the left.

Had an interesting range session today. First session with the new posture I've been working on and I think it was a success. However, I was also using the swingyde to prevent my hands from breaking down at the top of the swing, but this caused me to hit some high fades that I am not used to hitting.

Here are some videos from the session today. Some things I notice:

- Spine angle at address looks much better
- Are my hands too close to my body?
- Am I holding the face too closed at address?
- I still can't keep my left arm from breaking down without becoming overly stiff.
- Too much swaying in backswing
- Am I flipping through impact?

Anyone notice anything else?

- Spine angle at address looks much better LOOKS GREAT
- Are my hands too close to my body? A BIT, BUT NOTHING DRASTIC. PROBABLY ALLOWING FOR A MORE 1-PIECE TAKEAWAY. NOT SURE I'D CHANGE THIS YET.
- Am I holding the face too closed at address? NOT THAT I CAN TELL
- I still can't keep my left arm from breaking down without becoming overly stiff. OH WELL. NOT A DEAL-BREAKER IN MY OPINION. PLENTY OF PEOPLE PLAY WITH SOME BREAK IN THAT LEAD ARM AND HAVE WON ON TOUR THIS WAY.
- Too much swaying in backswing I SEE IT, TOO. I DON'T LIKE HOW MUCH YOU SQUAT DOWN IN THE BACKSWING. A LOT OF PEOPLE STAND UP, BUT YOU SIT DOWN MORE. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A LITTLE SQUAT TO TRIGGER THE DOWNSWING, BUT I THINK CONSISTENCY WOULD BE AFFECTED WHEN YOU'RE CHANGING YOUR EYE LEVEL SO MUCH. EDIT: I KNOW YOU MEAN LATERAL SWAYING, WHICH YOU'RE DOING AS WELL, BUT TO ME IT'S NOT SO BAD THAT I THINK THAT'S THE MAIN AREA TO FOCUS.
- Am I flipping through impact? YES

you have a lower handicap than i've ever had, so who am i to give you advice? but i am on the internet, so maybe that means i'm qualified after all! to me, the thing i'd work the hardest on is your impact position. google-fu images of your favorite tour players at impact. their hips don't push toward the ball. the bend at the hip they create at address is maintained into impact. then freeze your swing down-the-line at impact and look at how your hips have pushed closer to the ball, causing your spine to look more vertical than it did at address. to me, this would explain the fades you're hitting, since this move typically results in a steeper plane so that you don't whack your ankles with the clubhead!

just my $0.02

Appreciate the extra set of eyes dude!

Back