Should I dump these clubs for graphite?

MorganG20

Reaction score
Handicap
TBD
So a month ago I bought my first set of irons ahead of the lessons I'll be taking and just getting back into golf in general. I decided on the Ping G20's based on the price point and also because of the number of positive reviews they got as good starter irons. So I just waltzed into Edwin Watts and grabbed a set off the wall. Problem is, at the time I was completely unaware of the different options available when it came to shaft material and stiffness and how it can effect golfers of various skill level. Turns out I picked up the stiff steel shaft set and that's what I've been practicing with ever since.

Now, I'm well aware that I'm doing plenty wrong and lessons will help. But the day after I hit some balls, the pain is so bad in my right hand that I can hardly make a fist. I'm thinking carpal tunnel is setting in. After what I've been researching about graphite clubs I'm thinking I need to dump these clubs and go with graphite, if only to lessen the vibrations and potential of carpal tunnel.

Or should I just keep them, take a break, and see what happens once I start with lessons?

I'd take some time off, heal up, then take some lessons before moving on another set. Lessons will like at least help limit whatever it is you're doing to cause that pain. And while graphite shafts help dampen vibration in most cases, there's no telling if it will help with your issues. Rest and lessons should help you make the best informed decision.

Did Edwin Watts at least fit you for the G20's? Ping has a fitting program so that you are fit for at least a proper lie (based on height and wrist to floor).

Did Edwin Watts at least fit you for the G20's? Ping has a fitting program so that you are fit for at least a proper lie (based on height and wrist to floor).

No, and it's my own fault. If only I had joined this place a few weeks before going in I likely would have had a proper fitting. I just went in blind and now I'm stuck. I thought that a club fitting was the same as getting a set custom made to suit my height.

No, and it's my own fault. If only I had joined this place a few weeks before going in I likely would have had a proper fitting. I just went in blind and now I'm stuck. I thought that a club fitting was the same as getting a set custom made to suit my height.
Are they standard black dot irons?

i say wait for the lessons to start and work with your instructor. you may need to have these bent up or down. i also agree to rest and let the hand heal before making a decision

i say wait for the lessons to start and work with your instructor. you may need to have these bent up or down. i also agree to rest and let the hand heal before making a decision

What does "bent up or down" mean? Never heard that before.

Lie angle. Might need to go upright or flat. Black is standard lie angle. That would be part of the fitting process

Oh ok. Would that require sending them back to Ping?

Oh ok. Would that require sending them back to Ping?
Edwin Watts will do an exchange if they have it in stock but for the time being rest up that wrist and get fitted properly big guy.

Edwin Watts will do an exchange if they have it in stock but for the time being rest up that wrist and get fitted properly big guy.

If edwin watts can't trade them you could send to ping after you get a fitting and know what the lie angle should be then ping will do the adjustment and change the dot color appropriately. Or you could have a club repair guy do it but you wouldn't still have the black dot.

for sure let the wrist heal up

I was getting sore wrists and tendons in my palms when I first bought my new to me clubs. I replaced the grips with a mid size, so bigger than what they came with, and that helped alleviate the pain. If you go to GolfPrides website they have a tool that will help with determining grip size. Worth a shot.

I would let your injury heal. I've had a bad case of tennis elbow late this season and haven't hit a ball since the end of September. My injury is just now starting to feel better. Don't make it worse by not resting it. The clubs can be adjusted anytime. Good luck..

If you're new to golfing, I wouldn't assume you're going to be that sore every time. We have a long winter up here where I typically won't play for 5 months or so and the first few range sessions/games of the year tend to leave me in a lot of pain until my body gets used to using those muscles in that particular way again. I get the same problem where I can barely close my hand the next day but it's only after the first 2 or 3 times out for the year. I'd say give it at least another few sessions before you make any decisions. You may well find that you no longer get that nasty golf hangover in your joints and muscles after you've got a handful of sessions under your belt.

If you're new to golfing, I wouldn't assume you're going to be that sore every time. We have a long winter up here where I typically won't play for 5 months or so and the first few range sessions/games of the year tend to leave me in a lot of pain until my body gets used to using those muscles in that particular way again. I get the same problem where I can barely close my hand the next day but it's only after the first 2 or 3 times out for the year. I'd say give it at least another few sessions before you make any decisions. You may well find that you no longer get that nasty golf hangover in your joints and muscles after you've got a handful of sessions under your belt.

I haven't been to the range in over a week now and it's feeling a lot better. I was going to take advantage of the short day and hit some balls after lunch today but I've decided to wait until I'm on vacation next week to hit a bucket or two. I've also been doing my homework...reading up about proper grip...so hopefully that will help. The pain was in my right hand, which is weird because since I'm right-handed, that hand should just be along for the ride in my swing. I'm pretty sure I've been trying to push the club and smash the ball instead of generating power how I'm supposed to.

It's just from the impact and shock that your hand is sore. I had the same thing when I started lessons and practice three times a week. Find some Voltaren emulgel (it may be near the arthritis meds in the drug store). Relief in about 20 minutes form that kind of soreness. I have been using it for a while for all my little aches and strains.

***Update***

Well out of concern for carpal tunnel flaring up again and because I had a lot of cash back points just sitting there, I decided to go ahead and get the Ping G25's with regular flex graphite shafts. They arrived today. I won't be able to get to the driving range until Friday, but I took a few practice swings in the backyard and they do feel a little lighter than the steel shafts, but are just as stout. The clubs do feel a little faster as well. Really hoping these work out. I'm not letting my steel shaft G20's go anywhere in case I decide to switch back at a later point or use a combination of both in the future.

Another thing I noticed.... According to all of the club length charts I've seen for standard length clubs, the graphite clubs are supposed to be around half inch longer than steel. When I compared all the clubs side-by-side, the graphite clubs were either the same exact length or maybe a 1/4" longer on a few of the clubs. Is that something I should be concerned about?

***Update***

Well out of concern for carpal tunnel flaring up again and because I had a lot of cash back points just sitting there, I decided to go ahead and get the Ping G25's with regular flex graphite shafts. They arrived today. I won't be able to get to the driving range until Friday, but I took a few practice swings in the backyard and they do feel a little lighter than the steel shafts, but are just as stout. The clubs do feel a little faster as well. Really hoping these work out. I'm not letting my steel shaft G20's go anywhere in case I decide to switch back at a later point or use a combination of both in the future.

Another thing I noticed.... According to all of the club length charts I've seen for standard length clubs, the graphite clubs are supposed to be around half inch longer than steel. When I compared all the clubs side-by-side, the graphite clubs were either the same exact length or maybe a 1/4" longer on a few of the clubs. Is that something I should be concerned about?
Graphite in general do come standard .5" longer so normal length on your 5 iron should measure 38.5" from heel to butt of the shaft. Btw were you fitted for black dots?

Question for you. If you are doing a lot of practicing or hitting balls, are you hitting off grass or off mats. I developed all kinds of issue several years back caused by hitting tons off balls off driving range mats. Also, if you are attacking the ball at a steep angle on this hard Texas ground, you can cause yourself some problems too.
I see you are in Houston. We need to get together and play some golf....if the weather ever gets better. :)

If you intend to take lessons, they will help to see what really is causing the pain. As your form and countless calluses develop, it will be fine. I started with graphite clubs as well, but as my game developed, I much prefer the " feel " of steel iron shafts. Also there are options like sensicore that are foam inserts that deaden the vibration ( which I use for high irons )

I played steel shafts for about 25 years and made the switch to graphite back in the fall. I can honestly say that I've never been happier with how I feel and the performance of the newer graphite shafts. I can hit balls for hours and not feel any soreness in my hands or arms and have the same feel I had with any steel shaft I gamed.

Something else for the OP to check would be the grips, both size and type. I know if I go with a grip that's too small I'll grip the club stronger and my hands will definitely get sore. Another thing I've noticed is that the grips that provide the most feedback at impact tend to make my hands ache. I've been gaming the Golf Pride CP2 wraps since September, and combined with the Recoils I've experienced zero hand or joint pain.

I played steel shafts for about 25 years and made the switch to graphite back in the fall. I can honestly say that I've never been happier with how I feel and the performance of the newer graphite shafts. I can hit balls for hours and not feel any soreness in my hands or arms and have the same feel I had with any steel shaft I gamed.

Something else for the OP to check would be the grips, both size and type. I know if I go with a grip that's too small I'll grip the club stronger and my hands will definitely get sore. Another thing I've noticed is that the grips that provide the most feedback at impact tend to make my hands ache. I've been gaming the Golf Pride CP2 wraps since September, and combined with the Recoils I've experienced zero hand or joint pain.
Got to agree. The newer graphite shafts are amazing. As close as ten years ago I hated them but they've surpassed steel IMO for me anyways. Obviously steel is the more economical way to go and most of my friends still prefer them to graphite. In about 10 years I bet 90% of pros will all be playing graphite shafts in all their clubs save putter.

Why not a graphite shaft in the putter? You can make graphite that stiff right now, and it would be easier to counterweight.

They have graphite putter shafts.
However what is the benefit when relaying it with the added cost?

Back