How do you feel about the driving range Vs. Just playing for practice?

I'm not a big range fan, unless I have something specifically in mind to work on. This summer when I was trying out new equipment or working on a swing flaw I would go over lunch a couple times each week. Otherwise I would rather be on the course.

I used to be a range rat when I lived less than 5 minutes from the course I belonged to and always warmed up before rounds. Now at the course I belong to we have 1st tee time during the week which is basically at "first light" so it is too dark to hit balls on the range before the round. Now I only hit the range when I have some severe issues I feel I need to address. :(

Both are important to me:

Range - get sharp, work on strike quality and consistency, work different shot shapes and hone hitting to targets

Short game area (assuming range has one): repetition on chips/pitch/putt helps me get better at visualizing trajectory/rollout and get consistent results

Course: putting it all together and scoring. If I try to do range/short game on the course (provided it's open enough to hit multiple shots, etc) I don't think I'm in the mindset of scoring. To me, when you're on the course, you have to commit to the shot and the consequences of it. Hitting multiple shots in a "practice" round is practicing swinging the club, not playing golf. When I'm on the course I want to practice golfing.

the range is where i like to work on fundamentals/technique/etc.

the course is where i like to [try to] put it into effect.

I used to go once a week when there was a range 5 minutes from my house. Once the range closed the next closest range is now 30 minutes away so I go maybe 5-6 times a year. There is another range that is 40minutes away that I have $50 range credit at that I rarely use because of the distance and traffic in that area sadly.

I'm a range rat, because I enjoy it. I used to split practice time during the week. Hit the range for two practice sessions, day 3 hit the course for practice. Then hit the range for one more practice. Come the weekend, I would be ready to play with my friends.
My game was much better when I had that routine.

I'm a range rat, because I enjoy it. I used to split practice time during the week. Hit the range for two practice sessions, day 3 hit the course for practice. Then hit the range for one more practice. Come the weekend, I would be ready to play with my friends.
My game was much better when I had that routine.
I bet! If I had the time to go to the range during the week, my friends would be in some serious trouble, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I can get a ton of work in an hour on the range or practice green that would take too many hours on the course. I prefer playing, but know the range serves a specific purpose.

I'd rather do the work on the range! When I play I like to have a little competition so practice is at a minimum!

How do you feel about the driving range Vs. Just playing for practice?

I love the range but I have meaningful practice. I don't just go to beat countless balls. That's a waste of time and does nothing to improve.
I'll start with target practice at 100 yards and in. (1/3 of my balls). Then I'll work on whatever I'm working on with my swing (1/3).
Then I'll simulate 9 holes of real golf with a certain course in mind. I'll play draws and cuts. It's way more fun and it's practice with a purpose.
I spend half my time on the pitching, chipping and putting area.

I also have a mat downstairs where I focus on training my swing. That way when I get to the range I don't need to spend the whole time focused on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love the range but I have meaningful practice. I don't just go to beat countless balls. That's a waste of time and does nothing to improve.
I'll start with target practice at 100 yards and in. (1/3 of my balls). Then I'll work on whatever I'm working on with my swing (1/3).
Then I'll simulate 9 holes of real golf with a certain course in mind. I'll play draws and cuts. It's way more fun and it's practice with a purpose.
I spend half my time on the pitching, chipping and putting area.

I also have a mat downstairs where I focus on training my swing. That way when I get to the range I don't need to spend the whole time focused on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I really like that. I don't go to the range much but I think I will try that next time! Thanks for the comments!

If there is something specific I want to work on, I think the range is a must for me.

However I do like practicing a round though, so anytime I can get on a course and drop a couple of balls at different spots on a course. I don't think that can be simulated on the range.

the range is practical. less time and less money required. Can also do it in the rain and other whether. Most cant just play a round whenever they wish so sometimes its about getting something in golf wise. I don't really view the range as anything to compare to playing but simply just part of my golf for different reasons.

I prefer playing for practice.

I like the range, but these days with limited time, I'll usually pick a round of golf over the range. May still pop into the range for a short hour session.

Spring/Summer I'm a range rat, I'll be at the range or around the short game/putting green 2-3 days a week and play once maybe twice a week. Fall/Winter I'm playing every chance I get. The season is coming to a close, so I'm trying to get in as many rounds as I can and fine tune more of the feel shots. By this point the swing is what it is for the year for me.

I love the range. I'd rather play but I really enjoy practice. I putt and work on my short game after work about 4 days per week.

I wish I enjoyed practice more. There are days when I will squeeze in a range session, but I typically don't find that what I try to work on really translates to my rounds. Maybe I just don't have the mindset or discipline or even maybe the teaching to properly practice. I will try to use different methods, like playing a virtual round in my head with different clubs each shot, that sort of thing, but I find it hard to stick to it for the long haul.

Plus, playing is so much more fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like range time because it serves a purpose. Early in the year I will go to the range more but as the season progresses it's almost all course time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me the range has its place like grooving a move or fixing something. Course time is more about gaining experience.

Range time is essentially useless for me other than to loosen up. I can't force myself to put false importance on range shots, so I'm just swinging.

I like playing different shots on the course.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Range time is essentially useless for me other than to loosen up. I can't force myself to put false importance on range shots, so I'm just swinging.
I feel the same way!

I feel the same way!

IME, that feeling may not be forever.

For years, I could not really find focus on the range and felt the same as you. A couple of years ago I found myself hitting 2000 balls a week at the range for the entire summer. Couldn't do it every week but most. I found that I had finally found focus there working on quality of strike and distances, working the ball, visualizing a certain shot and trajectory and making it happen. All of a sudden I found it a lot of fun to go to the range and do those things.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be on a course than a range and, if I don't have a lot of days to golf I'll do the course over the range. But if I could do something every day of the week, I'd probably split days on the range and on the course.

Back