The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike,

My suggestion: try another instructor. I've taken a lot of lessons from a lot of pros, but none have helped as much as my current one. I've fixed (or at least made progress) some BIG swing flaws with his guidance.

Now, I'm quite sure that many, many of the other pros were telling me the same things. In fact, I know they were. However, for whatever reason what they were saying didn't click, or I was never able to get the correct feeling under their guidance.

Yeah I may try that, just a shame as Ive already been through 3 in the last 4 years (most recently due to moving up here, had 12 lessons and got worse)

Had a great range session working on my new swing.
Starting to feel way more comfortable with it.
I can swing with much better tempo, and more consistently, and the yardage has increased with a smoother swing.

Still have a ways to go, but it feels great considering its only been 3 days.

Hit a bucket of balls at the heated bay and I was a mess. I picked up a bad case of early extention somewhere. So much to the point where the toes in my right foot is sore... wtf!

I practiced this weekend and today with hip turn. I've been focusing so much lately on swing plane that I think I get very armsy and my lower body follows, which is no bueno. I always had a tough time getting my left hip to start the downswing, but am now really getting it. The backswing is coming a little more naturally and then my only thoughts are to keep my head quiet and star the downswing with my left hip, with everything following. I really liked how it's feeling. Still though, I think I'm getting OTT more than I care to admit, so will keep working on my routing of the club.

Went to the range three times today.

I've gone to the range 13 times in the 4 days since I had my lesson, and my body feels beat up!

But, I'm really, really happy about my progress, and a little afraid if I slow down, I might forget some of what I was taught, or start to regress.

But, I have to give my body a break.

I'm hitting the ball better than ever right now, and really happy with the adjustments to my swing.

Tonight was good, bad, frustrating, and fun all wrapped in one range session/lesson.

Started out hitting it really nice through the bag but my Pro wasn't happy with what I was doing.
Then as I worked on his instructions I got the lefts, the rights, and even a few shanks. It seemed like the worse the outcome the more pleased he was with my "move".

Once again I'm at a loss and not sure what the heck I'm doing, but I'm being assured improvement is on the way.

Tonight was good, bad, frustrating, and fun all wrapped in one range session/lesson.

Started out hitting it really nice through the bag but my Pro wasn't happy with what I was doing.
Then as I worked on his instructions I got the lefts, the rights, and even a few shanks. It seemed like the worse the outcome the more pleased he was with my "move".

Once again I'm at a loss and not sure what the heck I'm doing, but I'm being assured improvement is on the way.
When my instructor and I were working on a very specific thing on Monday, he kept stressing at the beginning that it was going to feel weird and a lot of the shots were going to be ugly. I stuck with it and did the drills he gave me and just believed in him. It worked out great, today I saw some things that I needed to see in order to not stay frustrated.

The flip side is that my last instructor had me doing things that destroyed my golf swing and it's been 2 years and it's still not back to where I was before he changed my swing. This time it worked out for me and for some reason I really trust this guy. So I guess it all comes down to how much you trust him. I'm a firm believer that a good coach doesn't have to destroy your swing to make you better after that whole experience.

It can be maddening at times but if you trust him you've got to commit to the process.

Spent an hour at it yesterday and left feeling blah. I'm tired of being indoors, tired of only being able to practice once a week, etc. Swing felt like a chore, but had its moments.

Went to the range last night and a light bulb went off.

I picked out a spot about 3 feet in front of the ball and I really tried to hit the target with my club. Quite honestly, probably the best ball contact I have had in quite some time.

Hit the range last night, swing felt a little off in my mid and long irons, a little steep maybe. Definitely rattled my hands a bit on the rock hard mats at the range. Wedges and short irons felt really good again. I really cant stand hitting driver off those crap rubber tees, but the big dog was heading in the right direction at least. At this point all I'm really working on is alignment and tempo and praying it falls into place in the next week or so. One thing I'm really encouraged with is my pitching and long chips. Working small this winter has paid off so far, my swing path is much shallower and I'm picking the ball clean. I'm hoping to avoid the digging and chunking that plagued me last year.

Our range closes Wednesday afternoon through Thursday morning for a clean pick. So yesterday I decided to walk a practice 9 (turned into 11 with the weather as nice as it was). I hit a couple balls off each tee and worked on different shots. It just reminded me how important it is to get out on the golf course and work on things. Sometimes I feel like I get stuck on the range and yesterday was a good push towards feeling comfortable for Saturday's tournament.

Spent 45mins or so last night working on parallel drill to get me to turn using my big muscles into my right hip, also really concentrating on making sure my left arm is bisecting my right shoulder at the top of the swing and not below it.

5 parallel drills then 5 swings

I played two simulated rounds last night. For the most part it was good, had a few bad shoots. I will killing my 3w though which made me very happy.

11025260_950208661656561_1126054973873681684_o.jpg

I still have bad luck even on simulators though. I did manage to pull this shot off and land it just short of the green.

A little work today

Driver

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425758691.446952.jpg

Driver after some drills

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425758727.701066.jpg

6 Iron 5 shots

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425758781.653673.jpg

6 Iron 5 more shots

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425758837.605531.jpg

Got some work to do but I'm pretty happy

Got out today - Spent 2 hours working on PW, Driver, 3W, 5i, and 85 yard shot with 55 and 59*.... then an hour on the green doing 10 ball line up drills... (space balls in a line about 1-1.5 feet apart... when you miss you start over)....

Nice day out so went to the range and practice green. Wedges were solid, Driver I was hitting great, irons man I couldn't hit a shot to save my life. Need to work on my irons a lot.

Went to the range after a pretty rough ball-striking day. I was hooking everything. Freddie asked me if I would rather play a draw or fade and I think I'm better playing a fade as I struggle controlling a draw. Feel better after spending close to an hour working things out, but I've got a lot to work on. Worked on grip, setup, keeping my left arm straight at the top of my swing and finishing my swing with confidence. I'm just glad I'll be able to hit the range after work with daylight savings as my swing has suffered this winter.

Temperatures in the 50s today, got to the range for some work. Hit mostly irons and for the most part, the tempo was a little erratic. Definitely have some work to do, but it felt great to hit balls outside.

Got back to the range for a couple hrs really worked on my last lesson stuff hard today iron work was very good but really struggled taking it to the driver at first. I started to get the move down and started hitting driver well but it took quite a bit of time.

With it staying light longer into the evening and warmer temps I'm hoping to hit the range several times a week.

Friday was maybe the best practice session I've had in as long as I can remember. I went in with the idea that I'd work on nothing more than getting my arms and turn synced up and I'd do that with shorter swings until it was right and then move on. The end goal was to not toss my hands and flip it through impact. I don't think I've hit that many shots solidly and on target in months. Big stupid hooks, thins, and toe balls were all reigned in very nicely. I'm going to try to add speed back in gradually. As it stands, I lost 5-10 yards a club over where I was in the last few months, but felt like I wasn't putting any effort compared to what I normally put in. Not to mention long and left doesn't really do much for the end goal. Distance was consistent though since I hit the center of the face (or near it) much more often than normal, even with longer clubs.

I tried to build on that yesterday with impact ball and a lot of slowed down swings and then sped it up.

I only made it through about 40 balls but surprisingly I hit the ball well enough and realtively straight. However after hitting the rock like range balls off of semi frozen mats my hands were sore as heck.

Snuck out for a quick bucket. Swing is starting to come around and feel decent. Crazy game, days like today I feel like I'm making good progress and tomorrow could feel like I have no clue what I'm doing lol

You guys ever have one of those days on the range where your entire outlook on the game changes, improves, and just gets you fired up?

That was me today. My stomach is in knots, I'm happy as hell, and I love this game.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

You guys ever have one of those days on the range where your entire outlook on the game changes, improves, and just gets you fired up?

That was me today. My stomach is in knots, I'm happy as hell, and I love this game.

Unfortunately, no.

You've seen my range game.

However, that's awesome Dan, love when you get fired up about your game. It inspires many

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back