Rory Equipment Changes for 2017

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Rory McIlroy will make his 2017 debut at the BMW South African Open on January 12, and will be making equipment changes through the entire bag. No Laying Up has confirmed that Rory will be playing the new Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero driver, Callaway Custom Apex MB irons, and reuniting with an old (but improved) friend in the Titleist ProV1x ball.

In addition to the aforementioned changes, McIlroy is opting for Titleist Vokey wedges and will put an Odyssey prototype putter in play – one that features a new insert that recently made its way into Phil Mickelson’s gamer. He was noncommittal about his plans moving forward, ostensibly leaving the door open to further tinkering throughout his arsenal in the weeks and months ahead.

https://nolayingup.com/2016/12/31/rory-mcilroy-callaway/

Interesting seeing him go to Callaway equipment and the Titleist ball.

If he really goes with the Epic SZ, hoooooly hell thats big.

Man, I can't wait to see how he performs with that bag. Interesting comment about the Nike irons not playing nice with the Pro V1x, too. 2017 is going to be another fun year of golf!

Well that's some news right there.

That's a big get for callaway!

That's a big get for callaway!

Honest question, is it really though if he isn't signed with them?

Its kind of akin to the Tiger thread, does it really make a difference? IMO, it does, but its fun to discuss.

When you don't have a contract for equipment, you play the best.

If he's playing a Callaway driver this coming year, I am not even remotely surprised.

The driver isn't a surprise but the irons and putter are for me.

Its kind of akin to the Tiger thread, does it really make a difference? IMO, it does, but its fun to discuss.

Top tier player, who everyone wants to watch hit a driver, and hits the hell out of said driver... Goes with Callaway.

Add me to the 'hell yes it's a good thing for Callaway' group haha

Top tier player, who everyone wants to watch hit a driver, and hits the hell out of said driver... Goes with Callaway.

Add me to the 'hell yes it's a good thing for Callaway' group haha

Oh I agree, its just fun to talk about. We saw that him gaming the M2 DID make a lot of noise, so I expect the same here.

The MB's though surprise me the most, but its an interesting point about the ball and his old irons though.

Love seeing sll the Callaway in his bag!

Callaway hit a home run here!!!

Well that is definitely some interesting equipment news!

The putter change is eye opening to me

I think for me the biggest piece there is the putter. The woods are nice but Rory switched back to a scotty as soon as he could so changing to an odyssey is pretty big news to me.

I'm fascinated at his decision to go Cally Apex MB, unless they are a version we haven't seen yet.

...also makes me wish I'd hit them a few weeks ago hahaha

I honestly think it's a bigger deal that he moves to a companies equipment without a contract. To me that says he is looking for the best equipment for his game and that happen to be Callaway.

Callaway still gets to claim the best player in the world trusts their equipment and they don't have to pay for it. Seems like a pretty big win.

Didn't see callaway getting in his bag.

Wow...the putter change is the most surprising part. He had nothing but trouble when he took the Scotty out of the bag. No doubt the Odyssey team was able to help put something together for him that fit his stroke (with help from the folks at Toulon).

The driver doesn't really surprise me that much. Everything we've heard on the net and from the Grandaddy participants points to the new driver being something truly special. I'll be anxiously awaiting the MB irons, if for nothing more than to see if anything has changed.

Callaway still gets to claim the best player in the world trusts their equipment and they don't have to pay for it. Seems like a pretty big win.

Agree, Callaway must be licking their chops right about now.

It is a big deal if he talks about how he selected the driver because "it was longer and straighter than any other driver I tested." Then, it's a big deal, until he switches after a misses cut.

The putter change is shocking. Why go away from your trusted scotty that you switched back to right away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fascinated at his decision to go Cally Apex MB, unless they are a version we haven't seen yet.

...also makes me wish I'd hit them a few weeks ago hahaha

I'm surprised you didn't turn the place upside looking for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back