I was a bit shocked at what a ranger said yesterday

I for one see nothing wrong with the comments.

You were told not to hit them, just keep close. To me, that's basic ready golf.

I guess we expect different things while on the course.

I for one see nothing wrong with the comments.

You were told not to hit them, just keep close. To me, that's basic ready golf.

I guess we expect different things while on the course.

yes it was mentioned not to hit them but we were not just simply told to keep it close in some sort of friendly gesture. That would be a totally different thing and this is why the whole thing is not just so innocent. We were told in such a way where it was clearly implied to us that we were to intentionally push them. All 4 of us (strangers to each other received that same message) and were all surprised by it. That is quite another thing imo that is all together very different from a simple "keep it close" remark. The two imo are worlds apart. I think this difference between the two is what some of you are failing to see.

Its not like even one person in my group felt - "ahh, he just meant to be ready and keep pace". The others were just as surprised as I was. Many of you keep assuming and even insisting I received the wrong message or misunderstood the message. If any of you were there in person you would have (just like the 4 of us) seen and felt that a simple miss spoken phrase or two was not the case at all. The ranger , along with the other one were discussing that group and their pace, and turned to us and suggested we hit up on them and said so with intent for us to push them. Sure he caught himself and said "I don't mean hit them" but the fact that he even corrected himself goes to show that his intent was for us to hit up close and to intentionally push them. This is a very different thing vs telling us to stay right behind and keep pace with them. It was direction and had intent and imo we may also say a given permission (as a better word vs authority) to push them. He made imo a very poor call. A mistake? yes but not a mistake for poor choice of words. A mistake for a poor, and irresponsible choice of actions.

Last edited:
yes it was mentioned not to hit them but we were not just simply told to keep it close in some sort of friendly gesture. That would be a totally different thing and this is why the whole thing is not just so innocent. We were told in such a way where it was clearly implied to us that we were to intentionally push them. That is quite another thing imo that is all together very different from a simple "keep it close" remark. The two imo are worlds apart. I think this difference between the two is what some of you are failing to see.

Or perhaps it's just what you are wanting to see. You were told specifically NOT to hit into them, therefore any safety, "authority", or legal concerns should be thrown out the window. You keep saying the comments were solely based on the group in front of you, but the truth is that you don't know whether or not those rangers said anything to the other groups that were out on the course. All you were told was to push them aka keep up pace with them and let them know you were there.

I just think you are making this out to be a bigger deal than it should be.

Or perhaps it's just what you are wanting to see. You were told specifically NOT to hit into them, therefore any safety, "authority", or legal concerns should be thrown out the window. You keep saying the comments were solely based on the group in front of you, but the truth is that you don't know whether or not those rangers said anything to the other groups that were out on the course. All you were told was to push them aka keep up pace with them and let them know you were there.

I just think you are making this out to be a bigger deal than it should be.

This bigger deal I am making is more about whether or not people think what he actually meant vs what we (who were there) know he meant.
I think people cant really believe one (a ranger) would even imply such a thing and is why it is being chalked off as no biggie. But that is why posted about it. It was indeed a pretty ridiculous thing for him to do (say). Had we not all felt similar about it I would have simply chalked it off and never posted it. I just think he made a bad mistake. But again not a mistake for miss spoken words but a mistake in his actions. Saying "I don't mean to hit them" is kind of irrelevant and doesn't necessarily cover his a$$ because his intent was still very clear and one of which was having us do some enforcing. Even if minor, it was still wrong for him to tell us this.

yes it was mentioned not to hit them but we were not just simply told to keep it close in some sort of friendly gesture. That would be a totally different thing and this is why the whole thing is not just so innocent. We were told in such a way where it was clearly implied to us that we were to intentionally push them. All 4 of us (strangers to each other received that same message) and were all surprised by it. That is quite another thing imo that is all together very different from a simple "keep it close" remark. The two imo are worlds apart. I think this difference between the two is what some of you are failing to see.

Its not like even one person in my group felt - "ahh, he just meant to be ready and keep pace". The others were just as surprised as I was. Many of you keep assuming and even insisting I received the wrong message or misunderstood the message. If any of you were there in person you would have (just like the 4 of us) seen and felt that a simple miss spoken phrase or two was not the case at all. The ranger , along with the other one were discussing that group and their pace, and turned to us and suggested we hit up on them and said so with intent for us to push them. Sure he caught himself and said "I don't mean hit them" but the fact that he even corrected himself goes to show that his intent was for us to hit up close and to intentionally push them. This is a very different thing vs telling us to stay right behind and keep pace with them. It was direction and had intent and imo we may also say a given permission (as a better word vs authority) to push them. He made imo a very poor call. A mistake? yes but not a mistake for poor choice of words. A mistake for a poor, and irresponsible choice of actions.

I've read every post. I stick by my opinion.

He said not to hit into them, but he still said to send them a message. How do you do that without rolling one up on them as they first start driving off, or land one on the green as they're on the collar walking to their cart?

He said not to hit into them, but he still said to send them a message. How do you do that without rolling one up on them as they first start driving off, or land one on the green as they're on the collar walking to their cart?

Stick close, play ready golf and don't fall behind.

Stick close, play ready golf and don't fall behind.

What Greg says above is why what was implied is very different from a simple "play ready" and "don't fall behind" suggestion.

What Greg says above is why what was implied is very different from a simple "play ready" and "don't fall behind" suggestion.

And I replied to Greg's post. Sending a message doesn't have to be dangerous.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Unless you are part of the mafia or something, :alien:

But it can be. It just depends to whom you give that power to. But besides, it doesn't have to be dangerous but only be problematic which it certainly can be and that then leads to troubles. That elevated potential for a possible anything is why I maintain its wrong. But you and many are not agreeing with any of that logic so I'll just have to agree to disagree.

But it can be. It just depends to whom you give that power to. But besides, it doesn't have to be dangerous but only be problematic which it certainly can be and that then leads to troubles. That elevated potential for a possible anything is why I maintain its wrong. But you and many are not agreeing with any of that logic so I'll just have to agree to disagree.

Nobody has to "give me the power" to push another group. I do that on my own until they either speed up or let me play through. Pushing them doesn't involve hitting into them, it involves them being able to see me ready to hit, standing on the tee waiting, or finishing on the green while they are on the tee and looking over at them. It's about playing ready golf, not endangering people.

You are really hung up on this idea that marshal's and ranger's have a ton of authority. I guarantee none of them can actually do anything about groups on the course without first consulting the pro/manager on duty. Ranger's/marshal's are often just volunteers who do this to get some free rounds of golf.

I didn't read all the responses as they tend to be repetitive and argumentative but how, exactly, can the ranger/marshall/starter (unless they know these players) know these guys were slow after hitting one or two shots? Isn't it their job to keep the pace of play moving?

like Mulliga said, rangers usually no authority. I did it for a year. Never again. I worked in a tourist area, Outer Banks, NC. Can't tell you how many times I was told to "F... Off, I'm on vacation so I'll take my time if I want to"... Oblivious to the rest of the players. Rangers can make hints about pace of playto slow groups, but usually nothing more... And as a player, I don't think it's my responsibility to "push the group,in front of me". Not worth the aggravation. Some people never take a hint. Play through or slow down and enjoy the scenery...

Last edited:
That's my take on it too. Those guys watched all of one set of tee shots. How does that possibly give you enough info about the pace of play of the group in front of you? Greens are where a ton of slow-downs happen and unless the first hole is a par 3, there's no way the starter could have seen how the group played.

More likely it's a course just trying to cram in as many people as possible, causing problems for everybody along the way.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the fact that it's their job to to talk them if they are slow and behind pace. It's not your fault they were behind at that point, it's the starters job to get groups off on time and the Rangers to roam the course and help the groups behind pace (note I did not say slow players, I'm talking about behind pace groups). I'm pretty sure that's In the job description of a ranger.

I would have just ignored their "suggestion" and played to pace. If they really had an issue with pace, they should be out there managing it themselves.

It's not unheard of for rangers to talk to players behind pace - I've seen It at least 3 times this year already and most people I know would not have a problem with a ranger asking them to pick it up a bit of it was truly causing a problem.

As others said poor choice of words but the fact is it's not your job so there should have been nothing of the sort even asked if you.

That's my opinion of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back