If not golf, what then?

Campbell Toe

AKA Campbell Toe
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
If your passion for golf one day completely left you, what would fill that void?

This has been a question that I have thought of quite often and I personally do not have an answer. Golf is really the only hobby or sports activity that I am currently active in. I used to play men's league basketball in many different cities in my area. I also played in a lot of softball leagues. However, way back in 1999, I ruptured 2 vertebrae in my lower back and just kind of lost interest in both of those sports during the time it took for me to recover. I started playing golf for fun when I was 12. A bunch of my buddies and I thought it would be fun to try it. So we went to the local course and rented some clubs and began playing. I would play off and on until I was about 18. From 18 and on, basketball and softball took all my time. Once I was recovered enough to begin some activity, golf came back into my life and hasn't left. I have had many friends that played, suddenly leave the game, not to come back. I still have a passion to go out usually twice a week to play. Most of my rounds are at the same course I have been playing steadily for the last 6 years. Meeting fellow THPers over the last couple of years has kind of rekindled a fire in my game. However, to answer my own question, I have no clue. I have a wife and 4 kids. My kids are ages 20, 17, 14, and 12. None of them, or my wife care about golf. I guess I would sit in front of the TV and get fat.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

I'd probably dive back into the guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moar barbells

My passion prior to golf was paintball and then hockey before that. I assume I'd go back to one of those two.

Like you, I don't have any other hobbies. Since there aren't any THPers in my area I'm trying different things (like joining a league) to try and meet more golfers and schedule rounds.

When I was younger I was into electronics but that interest has since passed. No clue as to what I would move on to. It would probably involve my daughter in some way though.

I'd probably get back in to drag racing.

During my hiatus from golf between 1996-2015, my passion was fishing.......mostly walleye and musky.

I've always had a primary hobby ever since I stopped playing competitive sports some 20+ years ago. I've always played golf, fished or drag raced to some degree but 1 has always been the primary hobbie.
I was mostly into drag racing for a 20 year stretch after sports with a 2 or 3 year break in the middle where I got into competitive bass fishing. Sold my race car 5 years ago and started playing golf after not touching a club for 15 years. Believe it or not, golf is a lot less expensive and less time consuming which is what I needed at the time. If I was to stop golfing, pretty sure I'll get back into racing. I like the challenge of getting better at golf, but I'm still a racer at heart.

I've always had a primary hobby ever since I stopped playing competitive sports some 20+ years ago. I've always played golf, fished or drag raced to some degree but 1 has always been the primary hobbie.
I was mostly into drag racing for a 20 year stretch after sports with a 2 or 3 year break in the middle where I got into competitive bass fishing. Sold my race car 5 years ago and started playing golf after not touching a club for 15 years. Believe it or not, golf is a lot less expensive and less time consuming which is what I needed at the time. If I was to stop golfing, pretty sure I'll get back into racing. I like the challenge of getting better at golf, but I'm still a racer at heart.

ALOT less expensive. lol

I would fish a lot more.

I would work. If I am not on the golf course or with friends I am working.

I enjoy working and for some reason never get sick of it. Like to have new challenges put in front of me and get a great deal amount of enjoyment out of meeting those challenges

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Long distance running, which I should be doing anyway! But I'm a little lazy and hence am FAT! Lol

I would work. If I am not on the golf course or with friends I am working.

I enjoy working and for some reason never get sick of it. Like to have new challenges put in front of me and get a great deal amount of enjoyment out of meeting those challenges

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You are a millennial I did think you worked lol

Fishing, camping, bowling, pool, cooking. Maybe even back into softball.

Would probably get back into racquetball and basketball and would be in much better shape after a couple of weeks of enduring much pain and soreness.

Shooting. It's my other passion. Hitting targets from a long ways off appeals to me, I guess.

there may only be a void because your not doing what your use to. I speculate we would all do whatever it is we would had we never played golf. I mean golf doesn't exactly really fill a void for most people since what it requires is a lot of extra time. If anything for most people it probably often cuts into time actually needed for other things.

With a 10 yr old son involved in 3 sports I would coach again to fill the free time. My 13 yr old daughter is a cheerleader and golf is actually my one legitimate escape from driving to and from games and practices.

Surfing and whatever my kid was into

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Id do a lot more fishing, do it now but would do more and go hunting with my mate.

Archery!!!! My 2nd passion.

RC Car racing, 1/10th scale. It's what I did most when I wasn't golfing. Only really came to golf about 3 years ago from RC because golf is cheaper and I was getting too fat racing RC cars.

Back