Is This Putter Conforming?

Shakey

#TheGolfWhisperer
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 Index
I was messing around with putters at Academy while my wife was shopping & saw this Dunlop NZ9 putter.
bb36234f8c83ac0835e000cf7c9bb6c4.jpg

If you look closely, you can tell that the insert sticks out about 1/8" from the rest of the face. Is that conforming?

It actually put a good roll on the ball, but the sound was really weird. More of a thwack than a click.

I am by no means a putter rules expert but I'm not aware of any rules that would make this putter non-comforming.

When an insert is incorporated into the club face, it should be flush with the rest of the face so that the face is still considered smooth and not concave. While we interpret concavity in this provision strictly, we also recognize that, due to manufacturing tolerances, it is difficult for every insert to be exactly flush with the rest of the face. As a result, we allow an insert to protrude by as much as 0.006 inches (0.15 mm) or be sunken by as much as 0.004 inches (0.1 mm).

If I had to argue with the powers that be...on behalf of the putter...I'd say that there is no rule against the face of a putter being smaller than the body behind it. And that the insert was no insert at all...merely an extension.

Back