LPGA Needle Movers

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Are there any players on the LPGA that you believe move the needle in terms of equipment purchases?
I have long said, regardless of finishes, that Michelle Wie still moves the needle more than any other player on that tour. Agree?

No. Not to sound like a chauvinist but it seems like LPGA staff is a lot like the OEM version of Title IX.

Michelle Wie, Lexi Thompson and Lydia Ko are the only PGA players that I can pin equipment to player. Everyone else is a blur to me. However, I don't think Lexi or Lydia move the needle anywhere like Wie in that Nike and Wie are like the LPGA version of Tiger and Nike in regards to marketing image.

As I said in another thread, I rather enjoy women's golf. I like watching it on TV and hope that my daughter will one day take up the game. However, I won't base any of my equipment purchases based on what they play, just as I don't really do so based on what the men's tours play. I know companies sponsor players for advertising, and that subconsciously sinks into our heads, but throwing tens on millions of dollars at players doesn't move my needle. Clothes on the other hand (men's)...

Maybe not in our world, but in the women's Equipment market I would think the bigger names would help some of the Big OEM's but I seriously doubt many women hackers are running out to buy PXG right now.

No, I don't think so. Heck, I hardly think any male players move equipment.

Up on the great white north I think both Wie and Henderson do.

Wie and Lexi maybe a little? Would be interesting to see if they influence any of the ladies that play golf.
My daughter is showing a little interest and she only cares about the girl golfers so who knows.

Michelle Wie, Lexi Thompson and Lydia Ko are the only PGA players that I can pin equipment to player. Everyone else is a blur to me. However, I don't think Lexi or Lydia move the needle anywhere like Wie in that Nike and Wie are like the LPGA version of Tiger and Nike in regards to marketing image.

These were the names I mentioned in another thread as being the only three I can see that do.

These were the names I mentioned in another thread as being the only three I can see that do.

Do you think Ko moves the needle as much as Wie?

That's a big no from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it moves the needle here, but I think the LPGA/Ko move will move the needle in the Asian market. From a premium club maker, it makes sense.

I love watching the LPGA, but honestly only Annika stands out as one who I know what they play(ed). And I am not sure how much she moved the needle on Callaway sales. I'm sure she did pretty decent.

Not yet. The LPGA is far more interesting with a healthy Wie. So many people know of her for her young phenom years so when Michelle is doing well in a tournament, people want to know. This is also related to the buzz she got on the PGA ... interesting.

I don't think it moves the needle here, but I think the LPGA/Ko move will move the needle in the Asian market. From a premium club maker, it makes sense.

Even though she grew up in New Zealand? Is that the same for Wie?

I don't think I would consider any of them as needle movers.

Up on the great white north I think both Wie and Henderson do.

I wondered about Henderson in Canada, but that was the only one that jumped out at me.

Lexi does a bit with the junior girls around here, but not a ton. More style and accessories than equipment if I had to guess.

maybe this is a silly thought, but do OEMs put clubs in lpga players bags in hope that they will influence male golfers' purchases? i think i've always seen it as an us (men) and them (women) decision, and never really thought about the advertising/marketing as something intended to encompass and influence both genders.

I'm more inclined to purchase a piece of equipment after seeing it on LPGA than PGA. The SS and play on LPGA is closer to what I use than that of PGA pros. Having played a few rounds wit a symetra tour player, it was confirmed. But that's just me.

Unfortunately I don't think she does right now and will be seen more often during events because she is usually near the top or if she struggles day one is making a run by the weekend. Wie has been hit or miss because of injury. I think she is more relevant as far as golf goes but I agree with someone from the other thread Wie is kind of the Tiger on the LPGA.

If both were free agents at the same time I would probably invest in Ko for the lang haul

Unfortunately I don't think she does right now and will be seen more often during events because she is usually near the top or if she struggles day one is making a run by the weekend. Wie has been hit or miss because of injury. I think she is more relevant as far as golf goes but I agree with someone from the other thread Wie is kind of the Tiger on the LPGA.

If both were free agents at the same time I would probably invest in Ko for the lang haul

Would you? Interesting. Even after thinking Wie moves the needle more? I look at the LPGA and see every few years there is dominance by someone and then others come along.

I think Wie is a monster if marketed correctly honestly and could you imagine if she changes clubs and wins? Huge potential there rather than only moving the other way with Ko.

Just my thought though, I think they are both solid. I do think the long ball wins out here kind of like PGA tour though

Not in the US. However maybe they do in the Asian market.

Paula Creamer came to my mind for a second, until I quickly realized I have no idea what clubs she plays.

Interesting note and surely not a global argument for one side.

Lydia Ko has about 53k twitter followers
Michelle Wie has 234k twitter followers

I don't think even Wie moves the needle anymore. Maybe back when she was aged 10-16 and playing in the US Open. The only time you hear about her now is because of her oddball tabletop putting style. My kids have no idea who she is (and no, they aren't the be all/end all of testing) but seeing the top South Korean ladies golfing would have them much more interested in watching than if Wie was playing. She has less than a handful of wins in her career and only 1 top 10 finish since 2014.

Back