LPGA Needle Movers

I wondered about Henderson in Canada, but that was the only one that jumped out at me.

Lexi does a bit with the junior girls around here, but not a ton. More style and accessories than equipment if I had to guess.

When I was at the LPGA event up here this past year you could hear a lot of chatter and questions about what driver she was using. Not sure if it translates into sales but she gets people talking.

Would you? Interesting. Even after thinking Wie moves the needle more? I look at the LPGA and see every few years there is dominance by someone and then others come along.

I think Wie is a monster if marketed correctly honestly and could you imagine if she changes clubs and wins? Huge potential there rather than only moving the other way with Ko.

Just my thought though, I think they are both solid. I do think the long ball wins out here kind of like PGA tour though

I don't necessarily disagree with you and no doubt if she left nike 1) it would be huge news 2) if she won with who ever she went to would be even bigger but my only issue with Wie is her durability and how long will she stay on tour. She is 27 right now and with the amount of nagging injuries she has I could see 3-4 years max for her which would have Lydia at age around 23 and still at least 7'yewrs of golf left based on her past comments about retiring at 30.

Dominance does seem to swing frequently on LPGA and right now there are 3-4 golfers who could be chasing Ko down for the top spot.

I don't necessarily disagree with you and no doubt if she left nike 1) it would be huge news 2) if she won with who ever she went to would be even bigger but my only issue with Wie is her durability and how long will she stay on tour. She is 27 right now and with the amount of nagging injuries she has I could see 3-4 years max for her which would have Lydia at age around 23 and still at least 7'yewrs of golf left based on her past comments about retiring at 30.

Dominance does seem to swing frequently on LPGA and right now there are 3-4 golfers who could be chasing Ko down for the top spot.

Yeah age plays a role too. Although most players don't necessarily sign long term, some do have ties and like to re-sign.

I do view Wie as the only LPGA player that could actually move the needle to sell hard goods, but I hope Ko gets back to form and makes a run at greatness. I do fear her shelteredness (not a real word) hampers her marketing a bit.

Yeah age plays a role too. Although most players don't necessarily sign long term, some do have ties and like to re-sign.

I do view Wie as the only LPGA player that could actually move the needle to sell hard goods, but I hope Ko gets back to form and makes a run at greatness. I do fear her shelteredness (not a real word) hampers her marketing a bit.

I agree the way Ko's parents and team have sheltered her has been and will be a hamper and when compared to how wie was thrown out there and praised by the media in a tigeresque way which I think has helped wie in the long run. When I think long term signing I think wie and tiger where the main company is doing everything to keep that person and ride the popularity for as long as possible. I though Ko was going to be that way with callaway ala Phil. I was surprised in a way that she left but with all the influence her parents have had on the recent changes and even her bouncing around if caddies earlier there is part that is not surprising

Agree there. I honestly never thought she was going to be a good fit there after we met her at the show. Thy move fast, are bold and look for energy.

I didn't see that from Ko. Not a knock on her because for a while there she was the most dominant player in the world, but she has to create to move the needle and I hope she can finally do that.

I don't think to many people pay attention to what the ladies play. Being a club HO myself I pay attention to what they play but I would never base a club purchase on what any Pro's play. Truth is most average male golfers would be better off playing what the ladies play than the men since there speed and distance is much closer to the average male.

Agree there. I honestly never thought she was going to be a good fit there after we met her at the show. Thy move fast, are bold and look for energy.

I didn't see that from Ko. Not a knock on her because for a while there she was the most dominant player in the world, but she has to create to move the needle and I hope she can finally do that.

The pace Callaway sets is something I didn't even think of but now that you mention it it's definitely something they don't share. She has that very casual laid back attitude and from what we see from the zoo crew there is tons of energy and excitement. When she is on the course you can see the calm laid back approach and no real emotion either way. Here interview with Ddec showed that too.

She will be an interesting one to see of she ever changes that approach. This season will be an interesting one too. She is making a lot of changes coming off a slow second half, Ariya has stepped up her game, and there are several others like Henderson ready to pounce

I would say not a lot.

Just a thought and being in NZ, im sure Lydia does help move a bit down here due to the fact that most people know of her or have heard of her. They show her on the news and TV and with Callaway plastered all over her gear im sure people take notice. Im also guessing the asian market notices as well.

Now not being in the industry i cannot put any facts to that its just my opinion, cause when she comes back here she draws crowds where ever she goes. Now that she has changed to PXG it wont have the same influence being that PXG isnt available here yet (its coming soon), but the prices will be far to expensive for most golfers to buy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOzyGo7B760/
Looks like they are trying to change the laid back image already! I don't know how much that would help move the needle for PxG. For me I play what I feel works best for me, then I follow the team that represents the manufacturer. So no, I am not influenced by what either PGA or LPGA players have in the bag. That being said I'm sure I'm in a minority and the players do move the needle or they wouldn't throw the big $ at them. I just don't know if Wie moves the needle that much anymore. I think Henderson is a big mover north of the boarder. Here, it was Paula, Natille, but those ships seemed to have sailed. Lexi would move it if she won more. Stacey not in the conversation anymore. This is not my thought but was mentioned to me, USA needs an attractive blonde to start winning. Sad but probably true. In Asia I think the LPGA moves the needle in a fairly large way, aimed at the girls continuing to come to the sport.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I really can't see any of the ladies moving the needle in terms of equipment purchases. I enjoy watching them play but never really pay attention to clubs they are using.

Do you think Ko moves the needle as much as Wie?

I say now, yes. She is in the spotlight a lot more. But who is going to run out and buy PXG clubs because of her?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOzyGo7B760/
Looks like they are trying to change the laid back image already! I don't know how much that would help move the needle for PxG. For me I play what I feel works best for me, then I follow the team that represents the manufacturer. So no, I am not influenced by what either PGA or LPGA players have in the bag. That being said I'm sure I'm in a minority and the players do move the needle or they wouldn't throw the big $ at them. I just don't know if Wie moves the needle that much anymore. I think Henderson is a big mover north of the boarder. Here, it was Paula, Natille, but those ships seemed to have sailed. Lexi would move it if she won more. Stacey not in the conversation anymore. This is not my thought but was mentioned to me, USA needs an attractive blonde to start winning. Sad but probably true. In Asia I think the LPGA moves the needle in a fairly large way, aimed at the girls continuing to come to the sport.

I'm glad you linked her Instagram profile because that's easy data on needle movement. 89k followers, not bad, but not as many as Michelle Wie's 250k. Or even Natalie Gulbis' 140k

I'm glad you linked her Instagram profile because that's easy data on needle movement. 89k followers, not bad, but not as many as Michelle Wie's 250k. Or even Natalie Gulbis' 140k
More for the "Bad Girl" look they seem to be going for. Tattoo clearly visable. Complete opposite image as compared to before. She may be taking a little more control of her carrier.

Also interesting from that Instagram photo is that at least half the comments are Asian writing, I think that tells the real story as why they went after her. Not just the tons of "Oh Lexi you look great!" comments. It seems that Wie is willing to show more of her personal life which I think people tend to connect better with.

Can't really say any of them move the needle.

Are we asking if female golfers follow and purchase said equipment and fashion of LPGA players or male golfers? If the latter I can't think of a single reference in all my years about what LPGA players are using. The style and fashion wouldn't even make sense lol.

IMO would really need to ask a different demographic this question other than us.

I agree that Michelle Wie is the one. It is probably a different situation in Korea with all the great players that they have.
I think the star power is more important than the quality of play to influence buyers.
I like to find what the girls have in play because, as someone mentionned earlier, they have a game I can relate to more than to the 300 yards hitters.

I would agree that Wie possibly moves the needle when it comes to equipment, possibly Lexi Thompson to a small degree. But I don't really see it with others.

Wie was my first thought, next would be Lexi or Ko. Im not trying to be a prick or anything but i feel like people dont really care what any of the top Korean players are using, even if they win a lot. Not sure why

None of them move the needle, hell the LPGA as a whole doesn't move the needle if you compare it to the PGA or any of the men's tours globally.

Not in the US. However maybe they do in the Asian market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I wonder what Korean golfers would say in particular

This. I wonder what Korean golfers would say in particular
My father and his buddies all believe JDM is superior. They still understand value, however, and share the same sentiments as us.

The younger generation, which is likely the target demographic, probably have a different take.

Stacy Lewis makes me not want to play Mizuno - Paula Creamer makes me want to play the Bridgestone Balls.

We are but a fraction of the golfing universe. I'd be willing to bet that LPGA players move the needle in other countries. But not in the states and if they do it's for the wrong reasons.

Clearly none of them really move the needle...haha.
This thread and the poll on social media kind of show that with lack of response or caring.

For giggles, the results were led by Michelle Wie with 44%, Other with 33% and Nobody with 23%

As far as equipment I don't think any of them move the needle much. I also don't think comparing followers on social media is a fair comparison, I would venture to guess Wie has more followers for several reasons and none of them are necessarily golf related.

Back