i definitely think it's generational. he was a departure from the prototypical country club golfer, and i don't just mean because he isn't white. he is the anti bobby jones. he isn't polite. he isn't humble. tiger doesn't just want to win, he wants to destroy. i'm sure jack had that too, but he hid it and still managed to be a gentleman. not tiger. he doesn't care about that. and i would think that's a departure from what your generation grew up with. i'm 34, and i don't want to see golf and the attitude of its professionals evolve into tiger's personality; i want it to remain a gentleman's game.

I'm 46 and have been drawn to him since his Am days. The shots he's made, the risks, the domination. I have really enjoyed what he can do and if it weren't for him, the game would not be where it is now. For what it's worth, my 81 yo father is a big fan of him too.

Why Tiger?

I've never been a fan and I do think it might be a generation thing to some of us. I'm 64 and my peers who were born in this region of the country (the majority of them) have never been Tiger fans.

As far as his actions on/off the course sure, it's a turn off for many. I've cussed, chunked clubs, kicked squirrels in the arse, and threw a few tantrums in my day. With that said, it's been a couple of decades since those moments have occurred. I finally figured out. I'm not good enough and never will be to pout about my world class non golfing skills.

This has been a really interesting discussion and has answered things about the man that I have always wondered about.

Agreed. I had a terrible temper on course, as a junior. It was part of the reason I put the game away for 25 years. It really hurt me as a jr. I knew a lot of kids were looking up to him and doing what he did and I knew their coaches, fathers, and the older members would not approve of their behavior. I think Tiger's on course behavior got worse as he got older, which is weird. I guess I don't hold his OFF course behavior against him as much as some, but it certainly explained a lot for me.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I hated Tiger, and thought it was great (initially) when he was busted for being a douchebag.
But, after seeing the seriousness of what was going on, and how it was affecting his family, and seeing how much it cost him, I started feeling bad for him instead. When he started struggling at the thing he usually excels at, I found myself really pulling for him.

When I watched those two tournies he really stunk at recently, I somehow became a huge fan. I don't think its because of golf, but simply bc from one human to another, it's just not fun seeing someone at rock bottom.

I also don't like Phil Mickelson, but found myself pulling for him yesterday too.
I think there is now a large aspect of these are the guys I grew up hearing about. They are closer to my age, and with all of these great young golfers, I think it's me subconsciously trying to stave off Father Time.

I respect his golf but he is a real jerk from the several stories I've heard from those who have had direct contact with him. I played with a guy from our club yesterday who's daughter works at Stanford. Recently Tiger was there for a charity fundraiser event that this guys daughter was in charge of setting up. He waved her over and asked her to get him a scotch and soda. She replied that this is a wine only event and no other alcoholic beverages were being served. Tiger's glared at her and replied, "I told you to get me a f*&%ing scotch and soda!" She complied but it was a real hassle as the liquor was locked up in a different building and when she brought it back to him 10 minutes later he didn't thank her. My two other Stanford Alumni buddies that have had dealings with Tiger at charity events both say he was a total jerk when away from the cameras. Great golfer, not so great human being.

Last edited:
I'll watch him if in contention but that's as far as it goes. As far as i'm concerned if he gets any better he could be the next Jordan Spieth.

I have to admit, I was a huge Tiger fan early in his career. I loved the young kid taking the golf world by storm story. Now? I don't hate him, but I'm not much of a fan. The media turned Tiger into a golf god and can't seem to report much on anyone other than Tiger and I am really burned out on all the hype.

For me personally it's thay he drove the needle in a significant way for the game.

Before his game golfers I feel weren't considered "athletes" the way they are today.....

When Tiger used to have to work out on his own with one or now trailers prior to a tournament there are now dozens of work out trailers, trainers, etc.

Also the game needed a change in order to revive / almost save the game of golf. He dominated in a way not many of us will get to experience.

It also helps that when I started playing about 16 years ago all the golf world talked about was Tiger. And being able to go to some tournaments, read his book, etc. Helped him become my favorite golfer.

Tap tap taparoo

Why Tiger?

Honest question and one that I have always been curious of. What draws you to Tiger Woods? In general conversation with guys my age, which is 60+, I have never found a fan of Woods. Not sure why but that is why I ask you, what is the draw? My stepson is a huge Tiger fan. Plenty of young people on this forum are die hard Tiger fans. I'm truly interested in what draws you to Tiger so us older guys will have a clue what's going on. I had a guy ask me this very question at the golf course today and I could not give him a good answer. This is not a racist type thing at all. I love Henry Aaron and was with him all the way to passing Babe Ruth's record. And Hershel Walker (Go Dawgs), that dude was/is a stud from Heaven but seriously, what draws you to Tiger?

The fact that you feel you have to put a disclaimer out there that this isn't a racist thing is what irks me more than anything. I don't think that anybody on here would peg you as a racist. So why can't we discuss the appeal to some of this guy's golf game and character without even considering the fact that he is black. He's human. Everybody is human. I'd rather discuss his talent, accomplishments and moral character than his complexion. Nothing against you. It's just that society seems to refuse to let this one die down, and it maintains it as an issue.

Edit: you didn't irk me, OG. The mindset of others that's forced you to feel like you need to make a disclaimer is what did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think we are drawn to greatness, but probably more so to greatness in our generation. I have always been a fan of Tiger's, primarily for that reason. He could do things other golfers of his generation and before could not do. Being in my early 50s I saw some of the last part of the Nichlaus era, was vaguely aware of the Arnie, Trevino, and Player era. Arnie and Player were definitely on the back end of their greatness, and Jack in the latter part also. For the most part I only had a passing sports interest since I did not play at the time they were wrapping up their careers. I was just starting to get some interest when I saw Jack win his last green jacket and I recognized his greatness. But even with that because of when I really became interested in the game during the Tiger era I would probably give him the nod as the greatest player ever.

I respect his golf but he is a real jerk from the several stories I've heard from those who have had direct contact with him. I played with a guy from our club yesterday who's daughter works at Stanford. Recently Tiger was there for a charity fundraiser event that this guys daughter was in charge of setting up. He waved her over and asked her to get him a scotch and soda. She replied that this is a wine only event and no other alcoholic beverages were being served. Tiger's glared at her and replied, "I told you to get me a f*&%ing scotch and soda!" She complied but it was a real hassle as the liquor was locked up in a different building and when she brought it back to him 10 minutes later he didn't thank her. My two other Stanford Alumni buddies that have had dealings with Tiger at charity events both say he was a total jerk when away from the cameras. Great golfer, not so great human being.

it's interesting how many stories are out there like this, and how few (if any) stories are out there about him being a great guy who went out of his way to be really nice to somebody.

it's interesting how many stories are out there like this, and how few (if any) stories are out there about him being a great guy who went out of his way to be really nice to somebody.
I am not sure it would help anyway. To a certain extent people's perception of what an athlete or public figure are like generally does not change once they form an opinion. Some of it is earned, some not. As an example look at Tony Romo the quarterback for the Cowboys. In most polls he shows up as one of the most hated players in football. Why? Because he plays for one of the most recognized sports teams in the country had the audacity to date pop singers and go to some events only people in the know can get into. From all the people I know of that have run into him around town he is extremely gracious and friendly. Took a picture with a group of my daughters friends when the saw him at the golf course. He even stopped to help an elderly couple change their flat tire in a parking lot when he was on the way home from a game. One he had taken a pretty good beating. By and large, I would think he is a very classy guy and does not fit the persona many ascribe to him.

He's one of the best golfers to ever play the game. For that alone I am and will remain a fan. While Spieth runs away with the Master's today, I will enjoy watching Rory and Tiger play together. Hopefully they keep the microphones on; I'm not offended by colorful language! :bicker:

Two part answer ;
1. He came into Golf young and seemingly destined to eviscerate all the records ever set. A golf superman. Then came the off course drama. The mistakes. The very poor decision making... Leading to part 2. He didn't hide from it. He faced it. Faced us. Faced everyone and owned it. Nobody in the sporting world does that, except maybe Favre with the Vicodin addiction. So that actually made me more of a fan and supporter. To see him become human, humbled by the game that made him uber famous. Practically losing everything in one years time... But he did not quit. That's my “Why Tiger”.
*I know some will disagree on the facing it and owning it thing... But that's OK. In my opinion, he did not ever deny anything or outright lie about it all. He may have skirted the issues, remained silent altogether for awhile. But who cares. Its really nunya business anyway. Tiger doesn't owe me jack.

I don't care about the cussing. It makes me relate to him more.

#Domination and competitive fire are what drew me to him and to golf. His ability to hit incredible shots and either ru. Away with the win or somehow find a way to win... Him beating Mediate in the playoff for the 2009 US Open at Torrey Pines on a torn ACL, to me is one of the best examples of mental toughness in sports and essentially willing himself to victory.

For me, I like Tiger because I like people chasing history and breaking records. I honestly hope he breaks the major record.

For me, I like Tiger because I like people chasing history and breaking records. I honestly hope he breaks the major record.

Im glad you like him but that's not gonna happen

One of the best players ever for starters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No reason to like him. He's just another boring golfer.

/sarcasm at why this question was asked.

I was a fresh faced pro when he burst onto the scene as pro. I started following his career when he was a junior and marveled at his speed and knack to escape when he needed to. he dominated as an amateur and really appreciated it.

As a man of color I had an instant bond. Some may shake their heads and not understand that and that is ok. He wasn't the great hope for me it was just cool to see someone I felt would dominate. He did not disappoint.

I then watch him struggle and and tug usta before turning a pro but still felt he would do great things. After the '97 Masters I recieved a call from a friend asking me to put togther a team of pros to help teach inner city kids in Miami with Tiger. Myself and handful of pro joined Tiger at International Golf course for a few hours of teaching and clinic by TW.

Our paths crossed again while I was working at Pumpkin ridge as we shared a mutual friend. A few more encounters in orlando and at a few PGA events, we became freindly. Not buds by any means but we knew one another. I have been a fan because I felt he was good for the game and for the inner city youth to see a man of color rise to the top of a perceived white man's game. Basketball and football didn't have to be the only way out. I believe he affected change in this way and inspired a lot of youth world wide to take up the game I love.

I am fan and always will be. But I am also aware of his struggles. It's not my place to forgive but I won't forget. I hope this is the beginning of his rise to his top form, what ever that might be. The big smile, his joking and having fun is what I hope to see moving forward, mixed in with some wins. I'm a fan for personal reasons and don't see that changing.

Why Tiger?

I was a fresh faced pro when he burst onto the scene as pro. I started following his career when he was a junior and marveled at his speed and knack to escape when he needed to. he dominated as an amateur and really appreciated it.

As a man of color I had an instant bond. Some may shake their heads and not understand that and that is ok. He wasn't the great hope for me it was just cool to see someone I felt would dominate. He did not disappoint.

I then watch him struggle and and tug usta before turning a pro but still felt he would do great things. After the '97 Masters I recieved a call from a friend asking me to put togther a team of pros to help teach inner city kids in Miami with Tiger. Myself and handful of pro joined Tiger at International Golf course for a few hours of teaching and clinic by TW.

Our paths crossed again while I was working at Pumpkin ridge as we shared a mutual friend. A few more encounters in orlando and at a few PGA events, we became freindly. Not buds by any means but we knew one another. I have been a fan because I felt he was good for the game and for the inner city youth to see a man of color rise to the top of a perceived white man's game. Basketball and football didn't have to be the only way out. I believe he affected change in this way and inspired a lot of youth world wide to take up the game I love.

I am fan and always will be. But I am also aware of his struggles. It's not my place to forgive but I won't forget. I hope this is the beginning of his rise to his top form, what ever that might be. The big smile, his joking and having fun is what I hope to see moving forward, mixed in with some wins. I'm a fan for personal reasons and don't see that changing.

Always love the Panda perspective.

I'm a TW fan, because he made the game fun for me to watch, and made the game exciting for me to watch ohers that he was playing against.

Because of his passion and love for being the best you can be. There was never good enough with Tiger. He worked his butt off and tried to win every tournament he ever competed in. And every shot he ever played, you knew he was giving it everything he had. And I love that.

And when so many thought he was done, he comes back proves them all wrong. He basically looked at everyone and said "you don't tell me when I'm done, I'll tell you when I'm done...and I'm not done yet"

He's proof that we can all do more than we think we're capable of.
This x1000

One way to answer the question is, in my mind, to quote a passage about MJ written by David Halberstam: "He was the most supremely gifted athlete in the league, but unlike most other supremely gifted players, he had an additional quality rare among superb artists whose chosen work comes so easily: he was an overachiever as well." From 1997-2008, that was Tiger Woods, too, as it has been few others in any walk of life.

Why Tiger?

No reason to like him. He's just another boring golfer.

/sarcasm at why this question was asked.

Believe it or not, there are a whole lot more non Tiger fans than you think, including myself, who would like to know what the draw is . When Tiger. Was winning so much, THAT became boring to me. So much that I would turn my TV off or to another channel and I quit watching golf for a lonnnnnng time.

There are some really good answers in here. (like Freddie's) and some that irk me.

Back