What technology do you wish made a comeback?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
The marketplace has seen lots of different takes on technology over the last decade. Different takes on moveable weight technology, different crown shapes(HiBore) and styles, to different soles in irons. Is there one piece of tech that has gone by the wayside that you would like to see come back? Whether it be a face insert, or a simpler way of making adjustments, to maybe no adjustments at all.

• Staff
For me, it's the xFT wedges. I thought TaylorMade had a great idea and they pulled the plug on it a little too quickly. Being able to incorporate that tech in to other wedges that offered their ATV grind or different styles of bounce would have made so much sense.

I also with TM would come back with a driver like the R1, with the ability to alter the face angle as well as the loft.

It hasn't been gone long, but FlexLoft.

• Staff
The square headed driver.

I see so many guys with the R1 still in the bag. I loved that driver. That was a very good call.

I hit the old Cobra UFI irons and thought they felt awesome with the face insert. Apparently that tech didn't last at all as far as wear and tear from what I understand, but those were some of the better feeling (and forgiving) irons I've swung.

ufi_i_large.jpg

Definitely some shapes, but I understand why they don't.
Changeable wedge faces were so ahead of their time. If released by someone else, they would have had a better chance.

It's funny, I've never put much focus on technology until I joined the forum. I'm sure over the next few years I'll have input in this topic.

I know this is a touchy subject but if I could turn back the clock and legalize belly and long putters to allow them to be anchored I would. Clearly it wasn't that big of a competitive advantage or more guys would have done it. I feel that it enables golfers to use their optimal setup when going to the course every day.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BeCu wedges if nothing else I'd like to have one....

Xft wedges. I thought the idea was brilliant and they bailed way too fast on them.

Hickory shafts.....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would love to see a new set of iBlades in BeNi.

My dad has lots of hickory trees, just saying.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Good call on the XFT wedges, I thought that would surely become a big hit.

I understand the why, but I miss clean soles on drivers without huge weight tracks and whatnot.

The bubble shaft!!

Square driver. The Nike Sumo SQ was the only driver my friend could hit to this very day.

Screws. I've always wanted to say, and be accurate, that I really hit it on the screws.

~Rock

It hasn't been gone long, but FlexLoft.

Definitely agree with this one.

I would love to see a new set of iBlades in BeNi.

I can always use a bit of forgiveness in a club, but would quickly forego more forgiveness for this option. Those would be sweet.

Balata golf balls

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tour Flighted Rifle shafts, not the PX version. I know they can be special ordered but because of that specialization, there are next to zero used newer sets that are available with my favorite shaft. Bummer.

I actually liked the rear sole flange on the Top Flite Intimidator woods, of all things. It really helped encourage a downward strike into the ball for me.

AJ Tech shafts, loved them along with the Apache Micro 58.

Irons with cg off the club face. Nike slingshot and Adams xtd come to mind, which are now defunct.

How much the OEM are manipulating CG in woods I feel like irons would be the next ideal step.

What technology do you wish made a comeback?

Not so much the technology but I really liked the large pancake size of the k15 fairway woods. 195-200cc's yet were decently shallow to make easy work of deck shots. Yet a great size for a tee shot too.
My problem was after swing changes I didn't need the heel weighting and began to hook them. Same issue I have right now with my G SF Tec 3w. I'd love a large cc, shallow faced, neutral weighted fairway wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back