DC MD VA Area Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
DC MD VA Area Chat

Pouring here today but still hoping to get out tomorrow. Probably just Pinecrest for a tune up 9 and some putting practice. Still going to be a little sloppy but oh well.

Well at least it beats the snow. I won't be out this weekend. But I hope it will be soon.

Been raining here all day and it looks sloppy. Good thing is I'm going for a lesson in about 90 mins.

Been raining here all day and it looks sloppy. Good thing is I'm going for a lesson in about 90 mins.
Nice man. Where are you taking lessons?

Well at least it beats the snow. I won't be out this weekend. But I hope it will be soon.
That is very true I need to get out and do something golf related

Rob! We need some range time dude....only days that are not good for me is Wednesday.

Nice man. Where are you taking lessons?

Nighthawk with Mark Russo. Thought about changing instructors but Mark and I have been working together for a few years but got serious last year. Gonna see where we get to this year and if we keep making progress I will stay. He knows my swing pretty good so we can usually start working on the tweaks quickly.

Kevin, We can definitely make that happen, the week of March 23rd might be good, Monday nights might work for me.

Kevin, We can definitely make that happen, the week of March 23rd might be good, Monday nights might work for me.
Pick a place and we'll meet up, I can bring what ever you want to try too.

Nighthawk with Mark Russo. Thought about changing instructors but Mark and I have been working together for a few years but got serious last year. Gonna see where we get to this year and if we keep making progress I will stay. He knows my swing pretty good so we can usually start working on the tweaks quickly.
I left a message for him a couple weeks ago and never heard back....so I assumed he wasn't interested....

DC MD VA Area Chat

Sounds good. I'll check with Michelle about Monday the 23rd.

You soon will be a one man demo day...ha.

Last edited:

I have a huge work day on Sunday the 22nd and will could probably leave work a little on the 23rd. Let me know where you guys go I can try to meet you there and can bring the 545 irons, g30 and flex 3w, flex hybrid and j715 driver

I left a message for him a couple weeks ago and never heard back....so I assumed he wasn't interested....

Sorry to hear that. When we met a couple weeks ago he had just come back from a couple weeks in Fldorida. If you left it at nighthawk it's possible he never got it. Sounds like you found a good instructor in olney...how was the first lesson?

Really would like to get out today but the weather is not ideal. I thought it was going to be a little warmer and less windy. Still up in the air

Really would like to get out today but the weather is not ideal. I thought it was going to be a little warmer and less windy. Still up in the air

I bailed on my plans after all the rain and after seeing the wind forecast. Maybe next weekend?

I bailed on my plans after all the rain and after seeing the wind forecast. Maybe next weekend?
Yeah same will probably happen to me. I had no idea it was going to be this windy

Hitting the range today, even in this wind... Getting the first round of the year in tomorrow morning! :alien2:

I got out and played Pohick Bay this morning. The temps were OK but it was very windy....plus it was muddy. A lot of the drives and approach shots plugged. Not idea for golf, but I was just happy to get out with my buddies.

I got out and played Pohick Bay this morning. The temps were OK but it was very windy....plus it was muddy. A lot of the drives and approach shots plugged. Not idea for golf, but I was just happy to get out with my buddies.
This is exactly what I was worried about so I just bagged the golf and got things done around the house. Hopefully next weekend.

Pohick is one of my favorites in the area, decently priced and challenging. Definitely will meet up there to play this Spring.

I ended up at Arundel Saturday while they had Taylor Made there. Didn't stick around to try anything after hitting a bucket, but I did talk a while to the TM rep. They have new matts - they could probably use new balls soon as well!

I played at Pilgrims oak in PA yesterday morning. The course drains really well except for 3 holes. Still, high shots into the fairway were going to plug! I ended up hitting my mini driver and that was the right call. A little lower launch, and it was keeping it under the wind somewhat. The winds at times were brutal though - gusts over 30 mph at times. Some holes though were in a bit of a valley, so that helped. Actually had a really good round, especially considering the conditions and not having played for 5 weeks - even had 2 birds.

I ended up at Arundel Saturday while they had Taylor Made there. Didn't stick around to try anything after hitting a bucket, but I did talk a while to the TM rep. They have new matts - they could probably use new balls soon as well!

Arundel has always had bad balls. They break out new ones usually for the big all OEM demo day, this year on April 1st.

I played at Pilgrims oak in PA yesterday morning. The course drains really well except for 3 holes. Still, high shots into the fairway were going to plug! I ended up hitting my mini driver and that was the right call. A little lower launch, and it was keeping it under the wind somewhat. The winds at times were brutal though - gusts over 30 mph at times. Some holes though were in a bit of a valley, so that helped. Actually had a really good round, especially considering the conditions and not having played for 5 weeks - even had 2 birds.

Sounds like the Mini is working for you. What degree do you have? I have been thinking about getting an Aeroburner Mini. Suppose to be more forgiving than the SDLR Mini.

I played my first Virginia State Golf Association One-Day event today. I played golf yesterday, but today was only my second day playing since around February 10 so I was not expecting much. Today it was a lot nicer weather. I think the temps hit the low 70s.

The event was played at Fawn Lake County Club in Fredricksburg, VA. Everyone age 58 and under had to play from the blues which were 6,446 yards. The slope for the blues is 135 so it is not an easy course for me. My current handicap is 12.9 and course handicap was 15. Normally I play at 6,200 yards and under plus throw in that it was wet and basically you got no roll and it made the course play long for me. It was cart path only, but a benefit was we were allowed to clean and place in the fairway. I had never played at the course so I just took it shot by shot.

I had three pars, a lot of bogeys and a few blow up holes. I was happy to shoot a 92. I had two penalty shots. One on a drive that I pulled left into someone’s backyard and another on a third shot from behind a tree. That was an odd hole….#7. It was a downhill par 4 with junk in front of the green. I hit a good drive but had a downhill approach shot with a 6 iron. I hit a bad second shot, but luckily my ball bounced twice on the bridge and finished on the other side in some trees. That is when the excitement began. I tried to hit as close to the tree as possible and ended up hitting the tree with the ball ending up of back in the junk in front of the green. I took a drop from there. I was probably about 20 yards in front the green with the flag close to the middle area. I hit a punch shot with my 9 iron and I saw the ball moving up toward the flag. Next thing I heard was the ball hit the flag and one guy saying it dropped in. The green is elevated so I didn’t see it drop. What a way to get a 5 for a bogey.

The course has zoysia grass on the fairways and rough and even with it still brown the ball still sit up nicely. The greens were rolling really nice...especially for this time of year. I would say that Fawn Lake is a good test of golf. At least 4 to 5 of the par 4s had junk you had to carry over to get to the green. On two occasions I to lay up in front of the junk with my second shot on par 4s because I was roughly 200 or so yards out too make the carry.

Here’s a link to the layout at Fawn Lake: http://www.fawnlakecc.com/-hole-by-hole. I would say play it if you get the chance.

I’m looking forward to my next VSGA event at the Federal Club near Richmond VA in about a month.

Last edited:
For those interested Golfsmith in Wwodbridge and Timonium are doing a Cleveland demo day on Mar 27th from 3-7. Like Rob said a bunch of OEMs will be at Arundel. I haven't seen Nighthawks schedule yet.

For those interested Golfsmith in Wwodbridge and Timonium are doing a Cleveland demo day on Mar 27th from 3-7. Like Rob said a bunch of OEMs will be at Arundel. I haven't seen Nighthawks schedule yet.

What new clubs does Cleveland have or are they coming out with? The new wedges?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back