Votes: 58 63.0%
  • My health won't allow

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Time off from work won't allow

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Significant other won't allow

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
It's all a moot point here though, because we are going to do things quite differently next year. It's actually what I think we do best, and that is change, evolve and hopefully improve to make experiences for our members even better than before.

I voted for time off from work because that's the main issue right now, but the budget does play a big role as well.

If I had to say, I'd actually click on multiple boxes...but MOSTLY it's due to my work schedule.

More about the money for me. My step son ( who basically is my son, and he gets no help from his "father" ) is in College, and my son just graduated HS and is debating on what he is going to do, so I have to be ready for that. Time is actually the one thing I do have more of now. Still, I went to Stonewall, and I would be at Savannah if it wasn't for the fact that I will be on vacation with the family that week. And I already put money aside for the Gauntlet in case I get in. My wife knows how I feel about THP events, and has no issue with me going, so that's pretty big.

Bottom line though, for me, is if there is an event I want to attend bad enough, (and if it is a "elite" event and I somehow get in ) I'll find a way to get it done.

If I could some how block the marketplace from showing up I probably wouldn't have had to vote for funds :D In all honesty it's a 50/50 work and funds thing. Cross country trips are out of the question but may be able to swing an event on the west coast. The money part would be semi easy to plan for, the timing would be an issue with work, family, and coaching. I coach youth sports from November, basketball, till June, baseball.

Seems like a lot of you could get rid of a lot of your issues by getting rid of those pesky kids.
"3 dogs or 2 kids"... a Fupresti classic that I repeat all the time.

So should we say no to any companies that come to us after January and say we want to host a great event for your members? Because that is what happens every year.

I have right next to ZERO knowledge of how/when/why events are born.
That said, I don't see why "our event schedule is made for the year during the prior year, and any event you'd be interested would have to be scheduled as such" could not be an answer.
I'm just pointing out that I'd be willing to bet that without a schedule of events that someone out there would have rather done "A" than "B" and that "A" event would fit better into their finances, work or family schedules, as well as align with their interest.

Unfortunately, we don't always know exact dates yet. Sometimes new events are born during the year so there is no way to predict that. We would hate to put out a "Maybe" schedule and then something change drastically.
I agree pulling the plug would be a bad thing due to something having to change, and sometimes things are 100% unavoidable.

I'm just saying tomorrow a sponsor comes up and offers a November event in Denver.
No one knows about it yet, wether it be location or details.
And the Denver guys all go to Savannah.
3 of the guys have not flexible lives and do Savannah because they want to, and while it may have caused some friction at home and work, they decide it's a thp event so it's worth the grief.
One guy tapped out all availability on time and funds...
One guys wife told him "just one event this year"
But then later in the year THP says "we are going to be hosting a fantastic and quite unique event this November" and the local guys can't show up.... Thp wonders "what the heck" and is upset because events aren't filling...
But the Denver guys burned all their "kitchen passes" attending Savannah. While a local event in Denver better suited their needs and frankly interest...

That is where my concern comes in.
Not an attack just my uninformed point of view

I have right next to ZERO knowledge of how/when/why events are born.
That said, I don't see why "our event schedule is made for the year during the prior year, and any event you'd be interested would have to be scheduled as such" could not be an answer.
I'm just pointing out that I'd be willing to bet that without a schedule of events that someone out there would have rather done "A" than "B" and that "A" event would fit better into their finances, work or family schedules, as well as align with their interest.

I agree pulling the plug would be a bad thing due to something having to change, and sometimes things are 100% unavoidable.

I'm just saying tomorrow a sponsor comes up and offers a November event in Denver.
No one knows about it yet, wether it be location or details.
And the Denver guys all go to Savannah.
3 of the guys have not flexible lives and do Savannah because they want to, and while it may have caused some friction at home and work, they decide it's a thp event so it's worth the grief.
One guy tapped out all availability on time and funds...
One guys wife told him "just one event this year"
But then later in the year THP says "we are going to be hosting a fantastic and quite unique event this November" and the local guys can't show up.... Thp wonders "what the heck" and is upset because events aren't filling...
But the Denver guys burned all their "kitchen passes" attending Savannah. While a local event in Denver better suited their needs and frankly interest...

That is where my concern comes in.
Not an attack just my uninformed point of view

I won't go into full detail on how things work, but let's take this scenario for example as just a taste of what we deal with so you can better understand:

It's June Company ABC comes to us and says we want to do an incredible event with you around the launch of one of our best XYZ product we have ever put out. We can either say (A) Absolutely, we would love to bring this amazing event to the THP forum and the THP readers, we will find a way to make this work OR we can do (B) Sorry, we don't know if people can make it so we aren't going to do this incredible event, even though it's based around XYZ product that might be the best thing you have done in years.

Which would you choose?

Seems like a lot of you could get rid of a lot of your issues by getting rid of those pesky kids.

LOl -I'm working on it sir! Last one is 16!

I won't go into full detail on how things work, but let's take this scenario for example as just a taste of what we deal with so you can better understand:

It's June Company ABC comes to us and says we want to do an incredible event with you around the launch of one of our best XYZ product we have ever put out. We can either say (A) Absolutely, we would love to bring this amazing event to the THP forum and the THP readers, we will find a way to make this work OR we can do (B) Sorry, we don't know if people can make it so we aren't going to do this incredible event, even though it's based around XYZ product that might be the best thing you have done in years.

Which would you choose?

You know what to do. Let there be AWESOME.

I bet people who have issues getting a pass from the wife or problems with not enough advance notice won't have that issue when Granddaddy entries start right...

I bet people who have issues getting a pass from the wife or problems with not enough advance notice won't have that issue when Granddaddy entries start right...

The trick is to annoy them.... A lot.... And then when they can't stand it, you offer the idea of an event that removes you from their presence for numerous days.

Fortunately my wife doesn't care what I do. She's awesome.

You are correct, I think ( I have no idea as I have not been married for 5 years) the wives are much more acceptable of a free trip. And that is totally understandable, its a tough economic climate for a lot of families. I think its great when an active member who really can not afford to go to an event gets into the granddaddy :)

You are correct, I think ( I have no idea as I have not been married for 5 years) the wives are much more acceptable of a free trip. And that is totally understandable, its a tough economic climate for a lot of families. I think its great when an active member who really can not afford to go to an event gets into the granddaddy :)

{raises hand}

Which would you choose?

I would do exactly what you guys are doing, without even thinking about it.

edit: deleted a useless part

Last edited:
Funds and wife still can't leave the country so I think it would be unfair for me to go to the states when she can't and has family down there.

I wouldn't and shouldn't expect people to understand how setting up the events work. Therefore, I understand the frustration at times when you want a full calendar at the beginning of the year, but we simply cannot provide that.

At the end of the day all we (THP, me and JB) can do is try our best to bring the best events and golf forum possible to our readers.

Some will take advantage of the opportunities and some won't. Every year we learn and grow, we see what works and what doesn't. We will sometimes fail and sometimes we will have a huge success. The goal for us will always be to evolve, never stay stagnant, and do our best to continue to make THP a place people enjoy coming to every day.

Sometimes JB and I feel the need to defend ourselves, and I realize now that we shouldn't. We are far too transparent as site owners, and far to accessible. I am not saying that will change, I am just saying we put ourselves in this position and by doing so we allow for these types of threads and discussions/disagreements to take place. How or why we do something shouldn't really be the concern of the forum, and we shouldn't have to explain our selves, but we always do because we feel it's important for everyone to understand the method behind something. You don't see that many places, and maybe that's a fault of ours, we should just said "Because we said so" like our parents did when we were kids.

Whether you all realize it or not we do listen to your input and what you want/don't want. Sadly, there are many times where we get an influx of people telling us they want ABC to happen at XYZ location, and then we do it and it's a flop. There's a lot of risk/reward here, but the reward almost always outweighs the risk.

No offense to the OP, but threads like these are simply not needed and always end up right where they are now. If I could, I was just delete this thread, and not allow any others like it to come up. It's not necessary, but I know it wasn't posted with the intent of this happening, but after so many years, I could see this coming a mile away.

If I could like that post 1,000 times I would GG.

I think you guys do a great job with the forum. With the events , you do your best to put it in place for all to attend. Nice job guys

I voted work schedule, even though it is a very small deterrant.

I am (perhaps) fortunate to not be married, have no kids or pets, and have a fairly flexible schedule, so I can attend almost any event, as long as it works into my work schedule. I feel lucky to be in the financial position that I am in.

I also like to travel, so getting out of town (especially in the summer) is, and has been, a priority for a number of years.

So THP events are a perfect outlet for me - travel, play golf, get out of the heat, and eat some really good food! Equipment tie-ins are icing on the cake, but are not the primary reason that I would enter an event. I will probably sign up for almost every event that works into my calendar, fully expecting NOT to get into every event. If I get in, that is awesome. If not, then I will do something else.

Which would you choose?

Not trying to start anything.
Like I said I didn't know what exactly or how exactly what went into the calendar...
I'll continue to attend what time/schedule allows, as I am grateful of the people and experiences THP has brought me.
I skimmed, my bad. I was trying to utilize a "suggestion box" and that was a bad idea.mi think THP is awesome at bringing the events to us.

I wasn't aware of the inner workings and guess I shouldn't be, things are the way they are.
I'll drink the cup of shut up and get back to work.

I'd choose "A"

Back