Bad Breaks: What's The Worst You've Had or Seen?

Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
We've all had some bad breaks / unlucky shots on the course. Things like hitting a sprinkler head near the green, rolling into a terrible divot after a flushed drive, someone yelling in your backswing etc. Obviously its the nature of the game, but its always terrible when it happens at the worst possible time or in a tournament/event etc. So what are some of the worst ones you have had or seen on the course?

I've hit the flag ball ricochet off it and went into a trap with a horrible lie.

Also buried a ball in the upper lip of a trap, and if the ball had gone 2 inches further would have cleared it and bounced on to the green.

Ugh....

Or how about when you stuck the green from 195 out and dnevs jars it for eagle... yeah that one stung....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Not sure if it's a bad break or bad player (ME) but I landed on a pile of leaves at Regional Rivalry. Doesn't sound too bad until my partner swings right under the ball and then it's my turn. I ended up dislodging a coat hanger buried in the leaves on my back swing and proceeded to launch it 20 yards off the side of a house.

Not in person, but last year (forget who it was) someone on tour hit the flag on an damn near perfect shot and it ricocheted off the green and into water. That's got to be the worst luck.

For me, I had one of my worst ones last spring. My partner and I won our flight in our spring league, and went to the overall shootout. We birdied the first hole, along with 1 other team, and so the two of us went to a sudden death hole. It was pure alternate shot on a par 5. My partner hit the green with our 3rd shot, and I had about a 25 foot putt. The green we were on backed up to a pretty major road. In my putting stroke, a truck slammed on its horn, and so I almost whiffed the putt and hit it about halfway to the hole. My partner then lipped out our par putt, and we lost to the other team's par. I was annoyed, but not that upset, but then we saw what the winning team won, which was each a framed flag from Augusta National. Ouch. Obviously I have no idea what would have happened on the next hole, but I am pretty sure we'd have made par and moved on to find out without that ill-timed truck horn.

This October playing in a 2 man tourney I had a 2 foot putt for par and we would have taken that score. The ball hits the heart of the hole fall into the hole only to hit the edge of the cup. The cup was not flush with the hole and a edge was sticking out. My ball bounced back out and stopped on the lip of the hole. I just stood there in disbelief and the guys we were playing with even said they had only seen that happen on TV before.

OK….let me set this up… playing the 9th hole - Par 5. There is a pond that runs up the right side about the last 100 yards along the fairway and up around to the right side of the green. I had to layup, so I have a wedge shot from about 85 yards. So I hit a perfect slight knockdown 54*, I mean the strike was PURE and was chasing the flag. Keep in mind, the pin is on the lower front right half of the green. The ball is chasing the flag, it's coming down & gonna be close…..then POW!!! It slam dunked and destroyed the lip of the hole, but at the same time, caught the edge of the cup inside the hole……aaaaaaaaaand the ball ended up in the pond :bulgy-eyes:

OK….let me set this up… playing the 9th hole - Par 5. There is a pond that runs up the right side about the last 100 yards along the fairway and up around to the right side of the green. I had to layup, so I have a wedge shot from about 85 yards. So I hit a perfect slight knockdown 54*, I mean the strike was PURE and was chasing the flag. Keep in mind, the pin is on the lower front right half of the green. The ball is chasing the flag, it's coming down & gonna be close…..then POW!!! It slam dunked and destroyed the lip of the hole, but at the same time, caught the edge of the cup inside the hole……aaaaaaaaaand the ball ended up in the pond :bulgy-eyes:

Ouch. That's a damn bad one. Hope it was just in a casual round with friends at least.

Sprinkler heads, ugh! Hit one about a month ago just a couple feet to the right of the green. It was pin high to a right, middle flag from 130. Hit the back edge of the sprinkler head and shot it 30 yards behind the green. 160 yard PW shots, yeah! :bad:

1st hole, par 5, Canal course at Northview G&CC in Surrey, BC with @ArmyGolf and a couple rando's. Hit a good drive and solid layup and had 5i left into the green. Pured it and it's tracking beautifully towards the green, but hits a freaking SEAGULL standing right in front of the green and richochets back into a bunker and plugs up against the lip in an impossible lie. Took a 9 on the hole I believe after that.

Set the tone for the whole day and shot terribly. Coined a new term though...there's birdies and eagles, but you don't want a SEAGULL!!!!

Another good one I had happen was a few years ago in my club's member guest. I hit it left off the tee into some trees. We get up there and one of the marshals is standing right there. I said did you see my ball. He goes its right here and points to it. I go up to it and hit it onto the green. I get on the green and go to mark my ball and see that it's not my ball. I hit the wrong ball and didn't bother to identify it when the marshal was sitting next to it and told me it just landed there. Ugh. Immediate penalty which I called on myself. Thanks marshal.

Worst one I've ever had personally.

I hit a long drive down the fairway because I knew I couldn't reach the water. I laser the flag 105. Which is perfect for my gap wedge. My best distance. I hit the perfectly flush shot right at the pin. Then the very last bit of branch from a tree on the right hand side reaches out with the wind blowing it. It just touches my ball. The ball flight drops, and it hits the water.

1st hole, par 5, Canal course at Northview G&CC in Surrey, BC with @ArmyGolf and a couple rando's. Hit a good drive and solid layup and had 5i left into the green. Pured it and it's tracking beautifully towards the green, but hits a freaking SEAGULL standing right in front of the green and richochets back into a bunker and plugs up against the lip in an impossible lie. Took a 9 on the hole I believe after that.

Set the tone for the whole day and shot terribly. Coined a new term though...there's birdies and eagles, but you don't want a SEAGULL!!!!
That was brutal. Would have been a short birdie putt too, and then to plug against the lip. Woof that was mean.

I had one in a round of the 2016 THP Kickoff classic last year. Early in the round, forget if it was day 1 or day 2. Thinking it was Day 2. Hit one of my best drives of the trip down the right side of a par 4 that wraps around a lake that is to the left. Ball runs through the fairway but stays to the right of the cart path, but ends up sitting right against a pine tree. Went from what I thought was a perfect drive to having to punch the ball 10 feet to setup a third shot toward the green. Think there is a picture in the live thread from last year. I'll have to see if I can find it later.

Didn't matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but I had match play hole where opponent went into the drink in front of the green and I hit a great shot to the back right pin. Well, mine missed about 10 feet right of the pin but hit the sprinkler head right next to the green and bounced OB. So opponent got to drop from 75 yards away (drop zone) and I was hitting from 175 on the tee box. Tough way to push a hole when I had an easy win in sight after I struck the first tee shot.

During my clubs match play event last summer I crushed a drive on a long par 4....right down the middle.....in fact it was so perfectly in the middle that the ball hit the 150 post in the air and immediately shot dead right and went Out Of Bounds! I ended up losing the match 1 down.

During my clubs match play event last summer I crushed a drive on a long par 4....right down the middle.....in fact it was so perfectly in the middle that the ball hit the 150 post in the air and immediately shot dead right and went Out Of Bounds! I ended up losing the match 1 down.

Wow. That is a good one.

The last round I played I had 2 of my worst breaks happen on the back 9. Par 3 I hit the ball a little further than I wanted to and left. Comes down onto a rake and ricocheted over the green and into the bushes on the right side of the green.

Starting to play my 3 wood off the deck more to help reach greens better. I usually have a pretty good slice with it. So I aimed down the left side of the fairway and just smoked it. It was by far the best shot I hit and about 70 yards down the fairway caught a branch and just slammed straight down into the ground.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've had the same thing happen. Fortunately it wasn't in a match. I was laying up and aiming for the 150 pole. Ball hits the pole goes straight left behind a tree. Only option was to punch out to about 145.

I lost a match on the first extra hole once because I hit a blackbird mid-flight with my driver and my tee shot dropped straight down finishing only 70 yards from the tee. It left me with a 315 yard approach shot to the green and I made bogey.

1138aa94eec6735c9fd1cb36e0b53f36.jpg

Look closely. You'll see it.

Playing out in the country, a mate hooked his ball into the bushes. We looked and it's ended up in the middle of a big brown snake coiled up

Ouch. That's a damn bad one. Hope it was just in a casual round with friends at least.

Yeah - it was our normal weekend partnered points/skins game. We played our own version of that stableford scoring system. You never really won/lost more than $20-$25 bucks unless someone went out of their mind, lol

I have had way too many bad breaks.

Hit a sprinkler head on a par 3 that deflected my ball into a bunker.

Plugged in the lip of a bunker more than once, where the ball is below the surface of the bunker.

Hit a greenside sprinkler head on an approach shot, ended up OB.

Have hit my ball into the desert, stuck in a cactus that was off the ground, probably 1/2 dozen times by now.

Hit my ball thru a fairway into a rabbit hole or something, where I could not get the ball out, but could jam it further down the hole.

Had a playing partner hit my ball (which was on the green) with his ball, on an approach, he goes into the hole for an eagle. I lose the hole.

Whatever, it's golf, nobody ever said it was fair.
Edit for photos.
51f7b381f0a60e9bf8fce7acb211efbf.jpg
8b47ebe6e4bdae26827907e2a54d29e0.jpg

Back