What's your favorite grass?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Grass has come an awful long way over the last ten years, there are all kinds of grasses out there with hybrids of just about every type.

What's your favorite grass for greens and fairways?

Greens I like bent grass and fairways I love a tight Bermuda.

I like bent grass greens and Zoysia fairways. Problem with Zoysia is it goes dormant early and comes back late so it's CPO in the colder months.

Green?

I'll be honest, turf isn't my specialty. It's an aspect of my game I need to learn a bit more about, especially as it pertains to roll out, and how it'll impact my short game and putting.

I'm SO confused by grass. I tend to take HUGE divots out of Bermuda (like every shot is a bunker shot), so I'll go with Bent--although I'm sure it's more of a me problem than a grass problem.

I like bent grass greens and Zoysia fairways. Problem with Zoysia is it goes dormant early and comes back late so it's CPO in the colder months.

Same here on both. It's a shame about the Zoysia, though, because it is excellent for fairways and tees.

Bent grass on greens and I really don't have a strong preference for what's in the fairways. I do really dislike the quality of the greens(Poa that putts awful by mid afternoon) in California other than the mountain courses. I can't wait to start playing most of my golf in Florida and Minnesota.

Give me Bermuda for both. If I had to pick another though it would be Zoysia fairways and Bermuda greens

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I was an expert on grass in college but since graduation, i have no idea hahahaha ?

Seriously tho i know nothing about grass on a golf course

Good bent grass is far and away best in my opinion. Love how it rolls on the green. And love the little pelt you get off the fairways with a good divot.

Bent greens, except summer time in the south. Zoysia fairways. Love the way the ball sits up

I like Bermuda for both.

Love these grasses!! Great choices!

Give me firm, slick bent grass greens any day of the week. Combined with firm Bermuda fairways and I'm in heaven.

I grew up playing bent. My golf game grew up on Bermuda. I'll take any grass as long as it's in good shape.

Not really so,etching I pay attention to but as I've played it more I've become a little more comfortable on Bermuda so for me it's all about having grass. I think i like bent on the greens more than bermuda

Anything that doesnt end with -uda

Greens: Champion Ultra Dwarf Really like putting on these greens. Speed is so consistent, green to green.

Fairways: Bermuda grass

Anything that doesnt end with -uda

Same here. Probably just because we don't play on it much. I've gotten better on it than I used to be, but I still struggle with certain shots on it.

I'm embarrassed to say, I never really focused on, or learned the various grasses.
Now back in the 60's, 40 years before i was golfing, that was a different story :bananadance:

Zoysia for fairways and paspalum for greens. Bent for greens are nice too but if people don't get their act together and fix pitch marks then no thanks. Paspalum does really well with high traffic from what I have experienced here in Charleston and Kiawah

Zoysia (sp?) and Paspalum are my favorite grasses for fairways.
Bent greens cannot be beat.

Bermuda can go eff itself.

Bent grass is great for me

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Zoysia for fairways and paspalum for greens. Bent for greens are nice too but if people don't get their act together and fix pitch marks then no thanks. Paspalum does really well with high traffic from what I have experienced here in Charleston and Kiawah

I'd never played paspalum before until I moved to Florida and I must say it was really good. I loved the turf interaction with the irons, it just kind of glided.

I was an expert on grass in college but since graduation, i have no idea hahahaha ?

Seriously tho i know nothing about grass on a golf course

Northern Californian Sensimilla?

Bent grass for me, all around, I like a good bermuda fairway though, don't have to replace the divot. I hate bermuda rough.

On the green, I really don't care. Well manicured with a healthy speed and I don't care about the breed of grass.

Fairways, similar. Well maintained and fairly lush and I'm all good.

Only area where I have an opinion is the rough. I hate bermuda rough because I fear it. I simply cannot play well out of it. I'm a pretty strong guy, strong hands and I had much less of a problem with long rough back north. But put me in bermuda and I'm generally lost.

Simple switch to old-school 588 RTG wedges has largely and surprisingly solved my issues around the greens. But for mid iron approaches or longer (although longer rarely attempted due to past failure), I'm lost.

Back