Best Tech Story in Golf

Howzat

I'd Rather Be At The Hideaway
Reaction score
With Callaway currently trying to market their new Jailbreak technology that seems to be a solid leap forward in driver technology, I was curious what tech stories have caused THPers to put certain clubs in the bag. I know I have had a SeeMore or two in and out of the bag for years due to the Rifle Scope Technology.

What is your favorite tech story?
What clubs have you bagged because of the technological innovations?

The first one that comes to mind is the face milling tech on the Toulon with regards to sound/feel and roll. After rolling one I just had to bag one.

Like I answered in your putter thread, the clubs in my bag are based around what performs for me. You mentioned the jailbreak technology, the buzz around the club will make me look at the club to see how it performs, but I continually try clubs all the time. In my opinion technology advances don't always benefit every player. We all swing differently and have different swing speeds so what works for someone with a 120 MPH swing may not work for someone with an 85 MPH swing. An earlier post mentioned Toulon putters, I tried one a few weeks ago and to me it felt horrible so I always take technology with a grain of salt. I think the key word in your question is "market"; a manufacturers goal is to sell clubs some people but clubs because Player X plays the club or because it is by a certain company. I fall in the you have to improve my game or it won;t go in my bag camp.

Like I answered in your putter thread, the clubs in my bag are based around what performs for me. You mentioned the jailbreak technology, the buzz around the club will make me look at the club to see how it performs, but I continually try clubs all the time. In my opinion technology advances don't always benefit every player. We all swing differently and have different swing speeds so what works for someone with a 120 MPH swing may not work for someone with an 85 MPH swing. An earlier post mentioned Toulon putters, I tried one a few weeks ago and to me it felt horrible so I always take technology with a grain of salt. I think the key word in your question is "market"; a manufacturers goal is to sell clubs some people but clubs because Player X plays the club or because it is by a certain company. I fall in the you have to improve my game or it won;t go in my bag camp.

Is there a tech story that has worked for you or made you more interested in a club? I do think it is R&D's job to come up with the tech and marketing's job to tell that story but using Jailbreak as an example, it seems to benefit everyone. Those who miss the center of the face see more forgiveness and the few that always hit it on the screws are seeing increased ball speeds.

Dual Face KZG Gemini driver! Yeah... that didn't work out so well. ?

Perhaps due to the additional weight forward, it spun the heck out of the ball. But I gave it to a buddy of mine who had routinely hit worm burners and it sure helped him out.

Wasted my favorite shaft on that thing, the Harmon Tour Desisign FZS.

Is there a tech story that has worked for you or made you more interested in a club? I do think it is R&D's job to come up with the tech and marketing's job to tell that story but using Jailbreak as an example, it seems to benefit everyone. Those who miss the center of the face see more forgiveness and the few that always hit it on the screws are seeing increased ball speeds.

I don't go out of my way based on a tech story because everyone has a tech story. I will say that the jailbreak technology has me interested in the Callaway drivers but from my reading, I don't think it is benefiting everyone. I guess I am more of a prove it to me type of person, I am also a big ponderer and don't make impulse buys so I try lots of clubs before I purchase. I guess I am the kind of person that manufacturers and probably stores hate. :act-up:

I don't go out of my way based on a tech story because everyone has a tech story. I will say that the jailbreak technology has me interested in the Callaway drivers but from my reading, I don't think it is benefiting everyone. I guess I am more of a prove it to me type of person, I am also a big ponderer and don't make impulse buys so I try lots of clubs before I purchase. I guess I am the kind of person that manufacturers and probably stores hate. :act-up:

You are not the average consumer, that is for sure. I am sure the team at Callaway will be happy to know the Jailbreak tech has at least piqued your interest somewhat.

Last edited:
Tungsten usage to lower the cg and make it easier to hit the longer irons. Callaway, Titleist, and others use it. IMO it makes the long irons in the cf16 and cb716 sets enjoyable to hit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought Gravity Core was pretty legit and it really did change the amount of spin when getting fitted for the 815 DBD. I still have the 816 DBD in the bag and if I read correctly the Gravity Core ports were the inspiration for the Jail Break.

I thought Gravity Core was pretty legit and it really did change the amount of spin when getting fitted for the 815 DBD. I still have the 816 DBD in the bag and if I read correctly the Gravity Core ports were the inspiration for the Jail Break.

I believe it was more of the gravity core ports being part of the evolution of Jail Break

Gravity core is a nice sample. That blew me away when it first came out.

I think the CX7 wood is the most amazing thing out there, just swing it and fairways will be hit.....but seriously every new Driver has the latest and greatest tech, the jailbreak sure seemed to work for me at the fitting and so did the tech in the XR16 SZ, will it really turn into more distance in the normal maybe (I hope so) but I do believe it will mean more fairways and playable misses which is why I spent the money. If i can keep in on the planet between 2 stakes 50 ft apart in 20 mph left to right wind cold and stiff it will be a treat on nice days with wide open fairways.

Boeing and Callaway getting together on the XR16.

I liked the spaceport and zero CG work Cobra did and bringing in r&d with the CASIS

HZRDUS. Can't think of any shaft that on it's own merits became such a monumental success so quickly.

I liked the spaceport and zero CG work Cobra did and bringing in r&d with the CASIS

Spaceport is another great one. It's not exactly a pure tech addition, but it's cool to get right into that head to look at what's going on.

Spaceport is another great one. It's not exactly a pure tech addition, but it's cool to get right into that head to look at what's going on.

Isn't it though? The weight and materials of the port was a big reason they could get to 0 CG.

HZRDUS. Can't think of any shaft that on it's own merits became such a monumental success so quickly.
Is that a tech story or product success story? Not taking anything away from hzrdus at all but when I think a tech success it would be part of the design of the product not the product itself. Is there a particular aspect of HZRDUS you think made it take off?

For me a few stick out, Jailbreak, V-sole, Bettinardi Fit Face and the Toulon Milling.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Isn't it though? The weight and materials of the port was a big reason they could get to 0 CG.

I think he was alluding it to it being a tech AND a cosmetic addition.

Is that true? I mean I know it kind of is, but when I watch the THP TV spot with Mike Yagley he talks about how its more of a marketing thing (0 CG)

Is that true? I mean I know it kind of is, but when I watch the THP TV spot with Mike Yagley he talks about how its more of a marketing thing (0 CG)

The ability to take it off and the key and all that was, yeah, but I could swear the lighter weight of it played a role with them being able to shift what was saved elsewhere.

Ah well, I'm probably wrong. Such is life.

Cobra Smartpad in terms of equipment I'm gaming.

2135 Tech for alignment i think is genius from Cleveland in there putters and if my putter wasn't lights out I'd be gaming one of those.

I don't know if I'd call it the best, but the groove technology on Evnroll putters is up there for me. So is the price point...

The ability to take it off and the key and all that was, yeah, but I could swear the lighter weight of it played a role with them being able to shift what was saved elsewhere.

Ah well, I'm probably wrong. Such is life.

Interesting and you might be right. I honestly don't know. Althought I think it weighs more than the sole in spots to create the weight right? This way, the weight moves down, lower than the ball at impact, which is the idea.

Back