Which tees to play from question

Tbird

Reaction score
Handicap
I was recently playing in a fundraising tournament that was a 4 man scramble, when we approached one hole the sponsor sign was on a different color tee box than we were playing. Every other hole was playing from the white tees next to a sponsors sign. On this hole it was located up one set of boxes. Now the guy I was playing with said we are suppose to play from the one with the sign. Was he correct about this? There was no pre mentioning of this situation when they went over the rules. So all in all should we have played from the whites or the silvers(with the sign)?

i would've played from the same tees that you had been playing but thats me. Sounds to me like somebody screwed the signage

A scramble / fundraiser? The organizers meant play from the whites, and every other team would play up a set at the sign. There's no rules in these things beyond those set by the organizers, and half the time they get ignored if it isn't $500 a head or something. At that price the score adjustments are more understated.

I suspect whoever put the signs out missed one. No biggie, unless there were rules officials about or you had someone to contact about it, play on. I can't recall having one hole on a different set of tees....maybe a par 3 with HIO prize might be dragged back a set. When I've seen mixed tees, they take all the other markers out and just leave one set in the ground for pretty much the reason you mention.

If they said up front to play the tee with the sign, then that is what I would do. It is only a scramble. The rules of golf are out the window in a scramble for the most part. There main goal is making money and allowing the players to have a good time.

I was recently playing in a fundraising tournament that was a 4 man scramble, when we approached one hole the sponsor sign was on a different color tee box than we were playing. Every other hole was playing from the white tees next to a sponsors sign. On this hole it was located up one set of boxes. Now the guy I was playing with said we are suppose to play from the one with the sign. Was he correct about this? There was no pre mentioning of this situation when they went over the rules. So all in all should we have played from the whites or the silvers(with the sign)?

No way any of us can tell you for certain, but in a scramble anything can happen. I'm guessing that it was done intentionally and that you should play where the sponsors signs were posted.

I've played in tons of scrambles and the rules are usually set at the beginning. Normally the tees you use are the same for the entire 18. Some times they'll announce that golfers 60 and over use the "senior" tees and everyone else use the "white." Other times everyone uses the same set. I've never played where you tee off where the signs are. But who knows, every scramble is different. I LOVE scrambles.

I would have played the same tees all day unless the sponsor said something in advance of the event.

Back