Re-gripping a Putter myself?

PizzaBear

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
My putter grip is losing it's grippiness, wouldn't mind changing to a superstroke.

How hard is it to do yourself at home? I watched a couple of youtube videos and doesn't look that hard but would like some THP advice.

Have many years experience regripping field hockey sticks

Not terribly hard at all. Just get some grip solvent and some grip tape and use some elbow grease to get the new grip down on and square. Some people use an air compressor to get the grip on, but I just use a good bit of muscle.

Not hard at all. Depending how thick the existing grip is you can air blow it off or just cut it off like you would a normal grip.

Get some grip tape and use more solvent than you think. Superstroke grips need more solvent to slide on easier IMO. Happy to help or answer any questions as I've put on superstroke grips on all of my putters

Not hard at all. Depending how thick the existing grip is you can air blow it off or just cut it off like you would a normal grip.

Get some grip tape and use more solvent than you think. Superstroke grips need more solvent to slide on easier IMO. Happy to help or answer any questions as I've put on superstroke grips on all of my putters

Good tip.

ALWAYS use MORE solvent than you think.

reminds me I need a new freaking grip for the seemore and need to try regripping on my own

Easy job and like War Eagle said use more solvent than you think.

I was worried the first time I did a putter grip that it would be out of whack and would screw me up. My apprehension turned out to be crazy as it was a lot easier than I thought. I do all my putter grips with masking tape underneath and blow them on with an air compressor because I have comittment issues with putter grips.

Good tip.

ALWAYS use MORE solvent than you think.

Totally agree. A definite must for SuperStrokes (at least when I have done them).

If you think you have enough solvent, you're seconds away from anger and frustration.

If you think you've used too much solvent, you're wrong. You've almost used enough.

Otherwise, putter grips are probably the easiest to replace, especially ones where the internal tubing is more solid, like SuperStroke or Rosemark.

If you have a SuperStroke or similar grip, make sure to add some extra tape at the bottom to make sure it isn't loose.

Awesome thanks everyone i'll give it a try

Is there specific tape and solvent?

I blow on superstrokes. Makes for easy adjustment and I can rotate them around to different putters. Small compressor and a sports ball needle is all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of solvent then add a lot more.

If you have a SuperStroke or similar grip, make sure to add some extra tape at the bottom to make sure it isn't loose.

and then another douse of solvent... for good measure.

Awesome thanks everyone i'll give it a try

Is there specific tape and solvent?

Go to your local golf galaxy or golf shop and they'll have it there.

If you are going to blow them on then you can get away with masking tape

Don't be cheap on the solvent. Messy is good. It will dry quick.

Anyone have a good tip for making sure the grip is on straight? Is it just an eyeball thing? I have put a few on before, but once someone else picked up my putter and told me it was crooked.

Anyone have a good tip for making sure the grip is on straight? Is it just an eyeball thing? I have put a few on before, but once someone else picked up my putter and told me it was crooked.
I'm terrible at this myself. I think the only thing that matters is that it sets up straight/square to your eyes at address. So I pull mine out of the vice, drop it down like I'm going to hit a putt, and make any necessary adjustments to it while the solvent is still wet and you can still move the grip.

honestly I eye ball it and use the lines in between my tile floor to use as a gauge. I'll sole the putter like i would if playing and line it up with the grout. Never had an issue with a crooked putter grip

Another reason to use air. Easy adjustments. Do you have a air compressor? Do you have a vice and a shaft clamp. Air or solvent will be dicey without them, especially with a super stroke. If you have air and a clamp I will walk you through it via face time or video. Let me know.

I use air, it's super easy and comes off just as easy too.

This won't work with every putter or putter grip, but if you have the grip on, you can put the face of the putter on a door while putting the front of the putter grip (the flat side) on the edge of the door.

GripSquare.jpg

~Rock

It's easier than you think. Pick up some double sided tape from a golf store or online (recommend golf works). Golf works has their own grip solvent which I believe is sold in some Golf Galaxy stores as well. Cut off the old grip and remove the old tape. Apply the double sided tape just short of the length of the new grip. Over a utility sink (or kitchen sink) apply solvent to the inside of the grip and the tape. Be liberal with the solvent (makes it easier to get the grip on and adjust it). Slide the grip on and use a wet paper towel to wipe off the excess solvent. Align to your liking and let sit for a few hours.

As far as aligning the grip I mainly eye ball it. Get a ball, roll a few putts like normal. Use some sort of straight edge to ensure the face is square when looking down at it. Depending on the grip you can look down the grip and make sure the groove are straight and uniform.

Hope this helps! I really enjoy regripping clubs (minus removing the old tape). I bought a gripping station from golf works a couple years ago and it made the whole process so much easier.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Another reason to use air. Easy adjustments. Do you have a air compressor? Do you have a vice and a shaft clamp. Air or solvent will be dicey without them, especially with a super stroke. If you have air and a clamp I will walk you through it via face time or video. Let me know.

Yes I used a vice and shaft clamp, but no I don't have a compressor. It was just once that this happened I was just seeing if there was another way to make sure it was straight.

Yes I used a vice and shaft clamp, but no I don't have a compressor. It was just once that this happened I was just seeing if there was another way to make sure it was straight.

I missed that you were not the OP. I thought I was quoting him still looking for info. Offer stands for assistance if he still needs it.....

Back