Hit Into the Group In Front???

UglySwing

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I like to think of myself as being very courteous, but as I mentioned in an earlier thread, I made the mistake of hitting into the group in front of me (new clubs, and my new 5 iron carried almost 50 yards further than my total distance with my old 5-iron).

It was a stupid, and potentially dangerous mistake.

I think if you golf long enough, you are bound to have someone hit into you...but how many of you have hit into the group in front of you by accident?

Never, though I didn't realize my brother was a long knocker and encouraged him to hit into a group 270 yards out. Oops.

When I was a kid, 12 I think, I had just started to play golf and me and my dad would go out to the local course and hack it around. I was about 200 out and there was a guy on the green and my dad said I was good to go ahead and I squared up a 3W and landed it on the green just short of where the guy putting was. He took my ball and threw it off the green. I've never seen my dad so mad before. It was a lucky shot and it just happened to be when the guy was on the green.

It happens. Apologize and move on.

I've done it numerous times on accident including almost killing a old lady on a par 4 I drive the green on because the old guys I was playing thought there was no way it could be done and kept heckling me to hit.

After that experience I'm very careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done it and apologized profusely. It's embarrassing but also usually feels good cause that usually ment I hit the ball better than I do to get it that far.

I hit a short par 4 one time, with people on it. It was a new to me course. The tee markers were moved severely????? It was about 275 yards. I went up and appologized profusely.

Jack

I've done it before as well. Each time I've yelled fore and made a point to drive up to the group and apologize to everyone. I felt horrible each time it has happened because the last thing I want to do on a golf course is cause an injury.

When 2 2some or 3 some is holding up a 5some and 5 some behind them. Your getting hit into everytime

I've done it a few times on holes where we couldn't see the group, or their carts out in the fairway due to elevation changes or doglegs or other obstructions. In each instance, I made sure to apologize.

A couple of times time, purely by accident.

When I was first taking up the game in my 20's, the only club I could hit well at all was my driver. My dad and I were playing a round together, and I don't remember the distance but it was a short par 4. I drove it over the green, when I did not expect to come within 50 yards of the green.

The other time was last fall. At the time the 5 hybrid I was hitting had a big disparity in how far I hit it. Normally I was in the 180-190 range but on a rare occasion I would hit it closer to 210+. I was playing what I thought was a layup to leave it about 20 yards short of the green. That would have been a 200 yard shot. I flew it to the middle of the green instead, right into the group. It was, unfortunately, the purest strike I ever hit with that club.

I was beyond embarrassed both times, and thankfully nobody got hurt either time. To be honest with myself, that second shot I had no business swinging. I was just being impatient and it was a bad decision to even risk something terrible happening. The first time my Dad and I simply never thought I could hit it that far.

Never hit into anyone. Now on the receiving end, I must be a magnet because it happens all the time to me. Very rarely do I ever get upset about it, it happens. And before all of the 'you must play slow comments', I play ready golf. My pace is actually pretty quick. It's usually a group ahead of me that turns me into a target. :beat-up:

On my shot it was hot and dry summertime. The ball landed short and rolled 40 foot up onto the green. Rolled right by a guys foot. After I apologized they all complimented me on a good drive. I just said don't expect that everytime. They could tell I was new to golf.

Jack

I think I've done it once or twice, but always apologized and never meant to do it on purpose. I did see my buddy Derrick drive over the heads of a group that we had no idea were on the course. There is a birm on my old home course on the third hole and it's about 260 carry. The guys were just on the other side of it and we never saw them on 1 or 2 so my buddy Derrick tees off and carried it probably about 290-300 and we see 2 carts come flying up the birm. Oops.

I've hit into a group in front of me twice. Once in high school, once two and a half years ago. Both times I was playing with my dad, and he told me to go because I couldn't reach them.

There's a possible third time that is questionable. At my course there is a par 5 that, from the tee box, goes up over a hill and the landing area is blind. We gave the group in front of us plenty of time, as they hadn't been holding us up, but we wanted to be extra careful. My drive was amazing, we all commented it was going to be great as it was dead straight right in the middle of the fairway. We even marked the start with the GPS to measure it. Get over the hill and the ball is nowhere to be found. I'm thinking the group in front of us had some issues and were taking a long time and I may have hit into them, and they took my ball. I asked them about it when we got to the green and they were on the next tee box. They said they never saw it, sheepishly, while never making eye contact. They knew I knew.

More than once but always on accident. I've never purposely hit and thought to myself, I hope I got them!

It's always been a blind shot and I didn't know they were there still.

#LongHitterProblems

I've done it a couple times but it has always been off the tee and I couldn't see them before hand due to elevation change or being behind something till it was to late.

I've done it a few times on holes where we couldn't see the group, or their carts out in the fairway due to elevation changes or doglegs or other obstructions. In each instance, I made sure to apologize.
Blind 2nds on Par 5s are never fun, it's always a guessing game.

I have once or twice, but never out of anger and always apologized.

I have a few times due to hitting it just right and getting alot more yardage than I would normally expect. I have apologized on those occasions.

I've hit into more groups on other fairways than on the hole I'm playing. To the point where I've had the scream of "FORE ON 11" ready before I hit. Not a happy time for my game. "Hope I don't kill anyone" is not a positive swing thought.

On the hole I'm actually playing, I've done it with career shots. Drove a dogleg a couple years ago, apologized profusely when I got there...in my defense, that was precisely ONCE that I made it to the green. Of hundreds of attempts. Still felt like a heel.

When 2 2some or 3 some is holding up a 5some and 5 some behind them. Your getting hit into everytime

Can you clarify this for me? If the group is slow, you hit into them on purpose?

Off the top of my head, several years ago, at an unofficial Iowa get together, I once 'hit into' the group in front of us. I'm not sure Jrod noticed that my drive landed 2 yards behind his cart as he was driving away. Didn't really think I could hit it that far, but obviously I was wrong.

~Rock

Can you clarify this for me? If the group is slow, you hit into them on purpose?

Why not? Seems like a safe and reasonable way to handle a situation...

#sarcasm

50 yards isn't a good excuse. I've rolled some onto a downhill green mistakenly, but I would never shoot within 100 yards of max carry potential.

I hit into a group at The Gauntlet in September. I saw their cart move and figured they were gone, turns out they weren't and I was a jerk.

Back