Practice swings with closed eyes

mjg2828

Reaction score
Handicap
My balance is one of my biggest issues at the moment, when I remain in balance I flush the ball and the results are very consistent. I tend to tip on to my toes though and that sends the ball a little right.

As balancing with your eyes closed is a darn sight harder than with them open, I'm wondering if I just practice swinging a club blind it will help with my balance.

Has anyone tried this? If so, did it help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know why I would want to make something that is already hard, that I'm already not consistent with, harder and more inconsistent. I don't see the logic of this.

I suppose if you can get somewhat used to it when it's even harder, it'll seem even easier when you open your eyes?

I saw an article with Rickie Fowler where he said he does this for 10 shots at the end of a practice session as taking away the sight increases the amount you feel your body position/balance/tempo throughout the swing

I suppose if you can get somewhat used to it when it's even harder, it'll seem even easier when you open your eyes?

I saw an article with Rickie Fowler where he said he does this for 10 shots at the end of a practice session as taking away the sight increases the amount you feel your body position/balance/tempo throughout the swing

The issue isn't your eyes, it's your setup and delivery. Your weight is too far forward and you're trying to hit the ball. Get the weight on the balls of your feet and swing through the ball, not at it.

I haven't tried this as a practice drill but I could see how taking your eyes out of the practice swing would let you focus on your body. Which could allow you to develop some improved balance and a feel of how to keep your weight over the mid foot area. I'm going to try this tonight. If it helps great, if it doesn't, open your eyes! :act-up:

Back