Do you trust the Hype!!

I don't know if it will be a epic this year, but i But a lot of clubs without hitting them.

While I love following along with the hype, I generally won't buy based on hype alone.

If I am going to buy something, I want to demo it at the very least, but would want to go through a fitting.

I'll admit that I've definitely got caught up in the hype expressed on equipment reviewed here, and it cost me a good chunk of money. I'm one that gets pretty excited when I hear how great it's working for others. With that said, I have learned that I now need to demo everything myself because my past experiences turned in to very expensive mistakes.

There will still probably be times though that I will buy something sight unseen just because I love that particular company or product.

As much as I want to buy this, I am not spending $500 plus without hitting it first and finding out if it is appreciably better than my current driver and also making sure I have the right shaft.

I plan to get a driver/FW fitting at Hot Stix so I can test it next to some other manufacturers as well. I have been impatient and bought without getting fit in the past but with how many good fitters are within an hour of me there is zero reason not to do it properly this time.

Initially I was all about preordering the Epic, but it won't be going in my bag unless I get fit for it.

I prefer to hit it first, but an Demo area is at least an hour and a half drive from me, minimum. So, I might buy it before hitting it. I bought my XR16 Pro before I hit it and I was very happy with the numbers and performance I got from it over my Alpha 815. With that said, I didn't gain any real distance over my 815, just more forgiveness. So, if the Epic SZ offers more distance and the same forgiveness, then it will be a win purchase for me.

If I'm paying $500 for it then I am hitting it first.

If I'm curious about an older model for like $150 then I'll take the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is certainly a lot of hype on this club. New member and 1st post. Going to hit the new club on Saturday. I think the most important thing is to compare numbers vs driver you hit now. Certainly wouldn't buy without comparison. Looking forward to hitting this more than any driver in the past several years

I've bought clubs before merely on research or knowing what "should" work for me, but I will definitely hit the Epic before buying it. I am probably going to hold off as well until the price drops a bit. I have the advantage of being in the middle of Winter right now so by the time spring/summer rolls around this club will have been on the market for a little while, maybe even some used ones.

I dont always believe the hype unless I can see how the new tech might actually work. Depending on the club and company I sometimes buy in sooner or not at all based on past experiences. With that said I can see a blind buy happening with the Epic but there is also no place local to get fit so a lot of my purchases are blind buys anyway.

I know there is a thread about the Callaway Epic & SZ drivers but I have a different question. How many people will admit to purchasing either one of the drivers based on what they hear or read instead of getting properly fit. I know I'm tempted because of how far I have to travel to be properly fit??? How about you????

Well fortunately I am not in the market for a driver. However alot of my purchases are based on reviews I see from others. So I would prob buy into the hype somewhat

I'm pretty sure most (if not all) acknowledge that getting fit is the way to go. I'm also pretty sure that most (if not all) have bought a driver blind, ignoring our own great advice.

~Rock

If I had no issue with $$ just lying around, I would buy every driver that came out just based on Hype. But unfortunately, until I hit the lottery & retire in Florida to play golf the rest of my life, that won't happen.

I've been reading threads on this club for a couple of days. I think there will be a lot of buying based on hype alone. It just seems like the people that have hit it have nothing but good things to say. It's hard to believe how few negative reviews there are. Reading all of this made me join THP this morning. Will post some results/numbers after hitting this weekend.

I've been reading threads on this club for a couple of days. I think there will be a lot of buying based on hype alone. It just seems like the people that have hit it have nothing but good things to say. It's hard to believe how few negative reviews there are. Reading all of this made me join THP this morning. Will post some results/numbers after hitting this weekend.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Every golfer has purchased due to chatter. In recent Year with the onset of forums and online sources, I think people have gotten smarter as it pertains to clubs.

I won't purchase with a fitting or numbers that exceed what I'm currently playing. I am going to give the EPIC a good look based on reviews and feedback. That's how I arrived on my decision to buy the 917.

The one review I've seen for the Epic said it was no longer than the XR16, so I don't believe the hype, no. But then I never believe the hype on any club.

Listening to the feedback certainly helps and does pique my interest.
I will seek out the club to see if it works for me.

The hype gets me excited to try a new club, But no purchase is made until I at least hit it. Prefer to get fit.

With no local place to hit demo clubs, I may be forced to drive 3 hours one way to hit up a demo and get a fitting. Reading all the praise that the Epic has received is actually making me look forward to it, as in the past I would just buy after its been out for a few and I can get it used in case I don't like it. So yeah the hype is real for me.
I will have to do similar. My plan is to find the place with the most shaft options for the epic, and secondarily wrist variety of other driver to try, and end up with whatever works best. If I'm being honest though, I'm hoping the fitting reinforces everything I've read about the epic and I leave with that.

Much as I would like to believe what they're saying, I will try before I buy. It's actually not good for Callaway in my country as their seller has only one pro shop located in a posh and exclusive club. But I will try to check it out and give it its fair due.

The epic sz is interesting, but still not a must have. I tried the dbd and it wasn't right for me.

Hype is over-rated and I would never buy something without trying it just because other people rave about it or fittings supposedly prove the gains are real

The operative word in that statement is 'fittings' because without a fitting it could be worse than my current driver and I would never drop that much money on a club without testing it and being fitted

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

The epic sz is interesting, but still not a must have. I tried the dbd and it wasn't right for me.

From what I have seen/heard, and what I experienced with the dbd as well...they are going to be fairly different drivers. FWIW.

I agree with you though, I'd want to try it first.

I will buy it knowing that it won't help my scores, distance, or FIR's. I like shiny new golf things, especially since I have 4 other late model Callaway drivers with various shafts that I can insert into the Epic!!

Am I the only one who thinks fittings are a little over rated for us amateurs?

Back