Bullitt's road to recovery and path to better golf

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm creating this thread to track my progress back from a serious injury and my journey back to playing decent golf. I wouldn't even be attempting this if it wasn't for a few THPers who have really made me want to push through and get back on the course, you guys know who you are and I thank you for bearing with me. Here's the back-story:

Many of you know that I am partially disabled which limits my golf swing because my left ankle is fused together, so I have very little rotational movement in it. In spite of this, I once was able to play decent golf, not great but decent and got my handicap down to around 12 about 4 years ago. A little over a year ago, after struggling with my golf swing quite a bit, I accidentally hit a root during my swing and disconnected a ligament in my right elbow which was a very slow recovery process, about 9 months before I could even attempt to take a full swing with a golf club.

Finally in February, I really wanted to start playing again and as soon as I was able to swing a club, there were 2 guys that I knew I needed to get back on the course with. Ron (lightningbolt44) and Marc (Trout Bum). In fact, my 3rd round back was with these two on a very difficult course, Tot Hill Farms where I promptly shot a 118. Didn't matter, I was having a blast and happy to be back on the course and I realized how much I really missed being on the course with good friends.

I then hooked up with an assistant pro for lessons who put me on the right track and fixed a few things with my swing. My main fault was almost letting go of the club with my left hand on my backswing and then regripping it, which would make the face slide open and I would hit high flop shots that went way right with every club. My 6 iron looked like a gap wedge, and no I'm not kidding..... Ask Marc or Ron.

Through 3 lessons, a lot of practice and a few rounds, I went from 118 to 116, 108, then 106. After my last lesson, my instructor wanted me to go see the equipment guy at the club to check the fitting on my clubs, he said they looked too long for me. After a fitting and having my clubs cut down and the lies adjusted, I went out the next day, hit 30 balls on the range and then went and walked 9 holes and shot a 48...... Now we're making some progress. 2 days later, went out and played 18 and shot 96. Back to the range and then played again a couple days later and shot a 91. Wow, OK. I haven't shot 91 in a couple years.

Then yesterday, I went and played a longer and more difficult course with some great THPers and shot a 97. For being a course that I had never played and of course not knowing exactly how to play the holes, I was pretty happy. Missed a lot of putts for par that I should have made and was a little wild off the tee, so it could have been a lot better with minimal changes.

The plan for this week is to put some effort into short game. My putting, while it hasn't been bad, has been just enough off to keep me from scoring really well. My chipping has gotten a lot better since the first few rounds back, but still leaves a lot to be desired. Upon the recommendation of my instructor, if I don't have to carry any trouble, I have been using GW and PW exclusively around the green and keeping the ball on the ground as much as possible, which has really helped a lot. I just have to learn a bit of distance control and force myself to be a bit more aggressive as my tendency is to leave the ball short.

So..... putting and chipping practice all week, along with some general range work to maintain the changes I've made in my full swing.

Looking forward to witnessing some of your progress!

Glad you're healing up and back to improving in this sometimes maddening game. Your story is a good reminder for me to not take golf for granted. I'm looking forward to following along as you get that game back.

Good luck Rich, no doubt you'll be able to advance in notice at all.

That progress is very impressive given your injuries. I look forward to seeing even lower scores from you while following this thread. As Rambler said, this is a good reminder for me not to take this game for granted.

Looking forward to following along with your progress. Good luck!

I am without a doubt a lot more cautious when hitting shots that aren't in the fairway now. There's no way that I'm going to ever do that again.

This should be a great thread. Good luck with the comeback, sounds like you're already firing on all cylinders!

Congrats to you BUllitt, great effort has been rewarded. I commend the fellow THP members who have devoted their time to keeping you on the enjoyment end of golf and friendship.

This should be a great thread. Good luck with the comeback, sounds like you're already firing on all cylinders!
Not quite yet, but I'm working hard on it. Getting to play with other THPers is a major motivating factor though.

Love the thread idea. I love it even more each time that I go out with you I see massive improvement. Cant wait to see where continued work takes you.

I'm subscribing. Seeing how you crushed those drives on Saturday, you'll be playing back a tee with the same score in short order.

Congrats to you BUllitt, great effort has been rewarded. I commend the fellow THP members who have devoted their time to keeping you on the enjoyment end of golf and friendship.
The Carolina contingency is a powerful motivating force for me. I've never met a better group of people in my life. The few guys I've played with from Florida and Georgia were pretty damn cool as well.

With those 2 guys in your corner you are in good hands. Good luck with your progress, We will be following along .

The one round you and I shared was a blast. I hope you feel the same.

Wow. Thanks for the story I didn't know the about your injuries. What commitment and improvement you have shown.

Plus you have two of the best guys in the world rooting (no pun intended) you on. I have met Ron and Marc has been so encouraging to me during and after my surgery recovery. Two great THP'ers for sure.

I look forward to following your progress here.

The one round you and I shared was a blast. I hope you feel the same.
Yeah man. That was a lot of fun. I will always remember the 1st hole playing with a bunch of single digit cappers as a 20, nervous as hell, tired and in pain from the drive to Florida. Ended up with par on the 1st hole.

"20 handicap huh?"..... And then I shoot around 100. Fun round. I enjoyed that entire weekend even though I played progressively worse as time went on.

Yeah man. That was a lot of fun. I will always remember the 1st hole playing with a bunch of single digit cappers as a 20, nervous as hell, tired and in pain from the drive to Florida. Ended up with par on the 1st hole.

"20 handicap huh?"..... And then I shoot around 100. Fun round. I enjoyed that entire weekend even though I played progressively worse as time went on.
Remember when I was on in regulation and three putted. Single digit cappers aren't sh/t.

I'm subscribing. Seeing how you crushed those drives on Saturday, you'll be playing back a tee with the same score in short order.

You both will be playing back shortly and it will be awesome to watch. You have the makings of a very good swing and I can tell those lessons are bringing it along nicely.

You both will be playing back shortly and it will be awesome to watch. You have the makings of a very good swing and I can tell those lessons are bringing it along nicely.

Thank you much, good sir. I do try. Next time hopefully I can bring my range game onto the course #internetgolfer.

Good luck Rich

Best of luck on the continued improvement. Hoping to see it in action soon.

Like Rob, I really did not know about your injuries Rich, I am so glad that you are on the road to recovery. I have experienced having to sit out from playing golf for a while and I know how great it is when you get back out there. I am glad you are fortunate enough & close enough to get to tee it up with fellow THPers, people just do not understand how awesome it is unless they are a THPer themselves. I know Marc and Ron and you would be hard pressed to find anyone that does not think the world of either of those guys. Great THPers for sure. I would love to venture up to N.C. sometime and tee it up with you, I am so looking forward to following along with your recovery. God Bless!

So today I spent about 2 hours on the chipping green trying to get a feel for short wedge shots. I believe that this is going to be the place in my game where I can make the largest difference in scoring in the least amount of time. I took my 58, 50 and PW with me. With the 58, I confirmed what I already suspected. I have a huge tendency to leave everything really short with it, so I concentrated on AW and PW. On most shots, I was seeing the best results with the AW when playing lower running shots. The PW I tended to hit long unless it was an uphill chip and then I was better with it. I need to keep this in mind for my rounds. I ended the chipping practice by picking a hole, taking 10 balls from 40ft and they had to be within 1ft to count. Once I made a ball to 1ft it was done and put to the side. It took me 12 rounds to take all 10 balls out of play. The last ball was rough, it took 4 tries to get it close enough.

Then did a little bit of putting and realized that although my putting has been pretty good, I was getting a little handsy which affected my distance control, especially on short putts. I was working on a combination of just rocking the shoulders to make the stroke and trying to practice my AimPoint Express. I forgot to take my level, so I was trying to judge slope on my own, since that's what I have to do on the course.

All in all, a pretty good day. Tomorrow I am going to try to walk 9 after work and take these changes to the course.

After an injury like that, it is good to see you working your way back to fitness again Bullitt

Good luck on your journey

Back