The sponge and the know it all

That's funny, I love the guy that tries to help the young lady at the range.
That sounds like every experience I have had when I go to the driving range alone. Within 5 minutes some guy will come over and try and tell me everything about golf and everything I am doing wrong. Then he will usually go back to his bay and shank his next shot.

Just easin' the tension baby!!!!!

tumblr_m1zpuodQed1qahroko1_500.gif

Have any of you ever been that guy, intentionally or unintentionally?

I'll admit I have. I've been the know-it-all, the guy annoyed at the know-it-all, and the sponge at various times. I hate it when I catch myself being the know-it-all because it's not a good thing to be.

Can be something outside golf too. I'm a certified professional motorcycle instructor--I know a thing or three about riding. That's where I have to catch myself a lot being the know-it-all, because I really *can* fix your riding. Your swing, not so much. :D

Have any of you ever been that guy, intentionally or unintentionally?

I'll admit I have. I've been the know-it-all, the guy annoyed at the know-it-all, and the sponge at various times. I hate it when I catch myself being the know-it-all because it's not a good thing to be.

I don't usually comment on other golfer's swings unless they ask me a question, or if I'm just giving them a compliment.

I talk equipment all the time though, I don't know if I come off as a know-it-all or not, but I just enjoy talking about clubs, balls, bags, etc.

I have played with this guy a couple times... super annoying, especially when even I know what he is spouting is nonsense. I try not to talk too much especially with people I get paired up with, so this annoys me to no end.

Oh man, I saw a guy who was a total hack, go over to "help" a young lady with her swing... he didn't notice that she had her name on the bag (and had a better swing than any one else on the range)... I googled her on my phone while chuckling to myself and she was a professional golfer who was married to one of the Oakland As... but this guy was going to help her dial in her swing!

She was very polite and said thanks for the suggestions before putting her earbuds in and getting back to work.

Last edited:
I had one of my practice sessions at the range get hijacked by the by a know it all. I don't mind a few pointers... But this guy started watch in me swing and then ask in me watch his swing and why this and why that.. and he broke down everything there is know... then there was a part where I hues he felt the need to demonstrate his superior accuracy by tellin me which target he's aiming for... every time he missed the target he had some excuse ..He even said something to the taste of "that shot would be good for you but that's not good enough for me..I am normally 3 to 5 feet of my target..anything more is unacceptable..
I think got the point when I stopped responding and had. "STFU" look on my face after a while.
I joined up with a beginner and a guy that is so tan you know he lives on the course. The issue is that he 'thinks' he knows and the kid is soaking it up. I didn't say a word as he told stories about shafts, what sucked about the industry and every bad swing tip known to man. And the kid was eating up.

I have no issue with a little bravado now and again. But this guy was non stop. And then he starts telling me what I should be doing to get more spin and my shafts had a weird step pattern. I think he shared more BS then I'm used to. Anyone play with a guy like that?

No, most people I know have no clue. I certainly don't proclaim to be knowledgeable about shafts. The most I've ever told someone is that they may want to try a stiffer shaft in their driver (the kid had a higher swing speed than me, so I at least felt confident about that one).

On another note, it sounds to me like we need to create a new sub-forum.....bad swing tips from 'that guy.'

~Rock

Oh man, I saw a guy who was a total hack, go over to "help" a young lady with her swing... he didn't notice that she had her name on the bag (and had a better swing than any one else on the range)... I googled her on my phone while chuckling to myself and she was a professional golfer who was married to one of the Oakland As... but this guy was going to help her dial in her swing!

She was very polite and said thanks for the suggestions before putting her earbuds in and getting back to work.

And the

That would be Amanda Blumenherst who was National Player of the Year 3 times when she was at Duke. I'm sure she got there from advice from driving range coaches. :wink:

I ran into this guy in 2011, one day before I went over the bars of my road bike. I had hit 900 balls that I had in my garage to get ready. I walk onto my home course and get paired with this guy and his two friends. He is dressed like a pro with the latest equipment. He looks at my dated equipment as starts to "explain" why they don't work anymore and his stuff is better. ???? I don't even know this guy so I think, ok dude how much heat can you take. So in front of his friends I ask "How much do you want to play for?". He said 50 a side with 10 for birds, I said fine, no problem. He just stares at me and shuts up. He did have a good swing and played ok but I was 2 under with 2 birds at the turn. He said he was having a bad day, pays up and leaves. His friends and I finished the round with great enjoyment.

I think he was wrapped up in impressing the kid to notice anything but his own stuff. It was comical to say the least.

Either I've missed it reading through this thread twice or you haven't told us how Mr Know it all actually played.. so come on man...inquiring minds want to know.

That sounds super annoying. I never ran into anything like that. This one time I was alone and paired up with two guys. They both went first and hit some nice shots off the tee. As I approach to go, I look back and say "I see what you guys did wrong...after I take my shot, I'll give you guys a couple drills to do at home to improve your tee shots" I could "feel" them rolling their eyes at me when I turned my back. I then shanked it into the woods, and they figured out I was being facetious and we had a good laugh and hada chilled out round together.

I got paired up with one last year. I took a day off work to play 18 as a single at a nicer course I don't usually get a chance to play. The guy was retired, so he played almost every day, but wasn't real great. I was having a tough day with my driver going right about every other hole, but otherwise I wasn't doing bad (shot 90, I think). Every bad shot I had, he wanted to give me a pointer. I humored him the first couple of times, but then I just told him I don't like making swing changes during rounds since I don't get out that much. I'm very non-confrontational, so I said it pretty nicely. He respected that, but I don't know if it sunk in completely that most people don't like advice unless it's asked.

I've only given tips to a buddy of mine who is probably closer to a 25 handicap. I'm a decent chipper and putter, and he asked for help with his chips, so I showed him how I set up and distribute my weight more towards the front leg. I would never give unsolicited advice to a total stranger. Just seems arrogant and rude.

That would be Amanda Blumenherst who was National Player of the Year 3 times when she was at Duke. I'm sure she got there from advice from driving range coaches. :wink:

That was her! I couldn't remember the name, but I remember she was killing the ball, and more incredibly was very polite to what I would have labeled a creepy blowhard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was her! I couldn't remember the name, but I remember she was killing the ball, and more incredibly was very polite to what I would have labeled a creepy blowhard.

I read this article

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/edith-cummings-was-womens-golf-before-michelle-wie-and-nancy-lopez

about Edith Cummings and Amanda Blumenherst was in it as she won the Edith Cummings Munson Golf Award there. Fascinating lineage as Edith Cummings was the model for Jordan Baker in the Great Gatsby.

I played with a guy once who was mutual friends with one of my old playing partners, anyhoo he was the kind of guy who reads every golf digest swing article and thinks that he's Hank Haney. Our mutual friend was just starting out and this guy was feeding him this endless mass of BS of what he interpreted from all those articles. Its hard to describe, but it was horrible and it was only making things worse for my friend. On hole number 8 my friend had about 100-115 to the green I can't remember exactly but I noticed he was addressing his wedge off his front foot, he was topping a lot of balls that day so I suggested that he put the ball just slightly behind center in his stance. He proceeded hit the green pin high and 10 feet right. After the hole he thanked me for the tip, his friend overheard that and was furious at me for some reason. His friend didn't talk the rest of the round and ended up shooting something like 60 for nine holes.

I played with a guy once who was mutual friends with one of my old playing partners, anyhoo he was the kind of guy who reads every golf digest swing article and thinks that he's Hank Haney. Our mutual friend was just starting out and this guy was feeding him this endless mass of BS of what he interpreted from all those articles. Its hard to describe, but it was horrible and it was only making things worse for my friend. On hole number 8 my friend had about 100-115 to the green I can't remember exactly but I noticed he was addressing his wedge off his front foot, he was topping a lot of balls that day so I suggested that he put the ball just slightly behind center in his stance. He proceeded hit the green pin high and 10 feet right. After the hole he thanked me for the tip, his friend overheard that and was furious at me for some reason. His friend didn't talk the rest of the round and ended up shooting something like 60 for nine holes.

Karma is Bi-itch.......

I was at a course that was new to me and introduced myself and said it was my first time there. I couldn't quite figure out where the fairway was going on #3 and asked him about it and that opened the floodgates. I got pointers on the best place to put my drives for the approach shots and such. That was a long 4 hours!

I was at my club last year and ended up going out with a perfectly nice gentleman who was 83. We're both scientists and it was fun hearing his stories about working for Bell Labs and some of his inventions. I had a tendency to hit driver on #3 and put it onto the road (not doing that in 2015) and my game just kinda fell apart. I got lots of instruction including the wise words of "Why do you try to hit it so far?" Umm, I'm not trying to destroy the ball..I'm just 35 and can make a decent turn and I'm not very good.

LordByron and I played with an older guy who was like the know it all last summer. He was giving me putting tips and telling me how to read the greens, and this guy didn't make a putt outside of 2ft the entire round. He also followed through with only one hand in the putter. I just let him talk and complained about him when Byron and I got into the cart.

It's always refreshing to find "Pro's" on the course that are 25 handicaps. It's like getting free lessons without having to pay for them! lol

Sorry you had to put up with that Freddie, it happens.

I was at a course that was new to me and introduced myself and said it was my first time there. I couldn't quite figure out where the fairway was going on #3 and asked him about it and that opened the floodgates. I got pointers on the best place to put my drives for the approach shots and such. That was a long 4 hours!

If I'm playing a course that I'm not familiar with, I don't mind hearing about where not to put my ball.
"There's water up there?!" lol

No, I don't give or ask for advice from people I don't really know! Except on THP , of course!!

I might be that guy. Regarding equipment at least. I love talking about golf equipment. In my defense I did fitting and repair for a living for about seven years but if someone makes the mistake of bringing up golf equipment, Star Wars or beer they could be in for a long, long round of golf.

Apologies in advance.

PS - In my defense I never offer swing advice.

There was this one guy I ended up playing with (not deliberately) in Utah a couple times named Frank who was a solid player. However, he was the ultimate know it all. EVERY DAMN HOLE he would do this. Tell you what he thought you were doing wrong and try to fix it. It drove us all effing nuts. Got to the point that every time we saw him we tried to avoid him, and took to calling him "F***ing Frank" hahaha

I agree, bad information is a plague, and it's a real shame when someone who doesn't know any better is receiving it. Can set them up for a lot of trouble.

Back