What matters more? Winning or Winning against the best

I'd want to win as often as possible. Yeah the big ones are the ideal, but winning gets the bigger check every time.

If we are talking about PGA/WGC caliber tour events only.... give me 10 wins in the St Judes, John Deere, Sony Open & Puerto Rico type tourneys versus one win at the Honda or Doral.

If we are talking PGA vs Euro... give me a couple John Deeres instead of 10 Thailand and Spanish Opens

But I think I would rather go in the books as a 1 time John Deere or Puerto Rico winner than a guy who won 157 mini tour events and had 48 web.com tour wins but couldn't get it done on the big stage, regardless of how either scenario affected my 1099s.

Ironically, I would rather be a guy with 10 Champions Tour wins than the guy who was a one hit wonder on the PGA tour... because you would have to beat some legends with serious game 10 times....not apples to apples but to me it's a similar accomplishment to beat the best 50-60 year olds as a 50-60 year old

Don't ask me to validate..just the way I see it.

More wins means more money and closer to the hall of fame.

For me as a less than casual golfer a win having fun is a good win . ( most likely charity golf scrambles ) . I don't even play enough to tackle a tourney that would have good competition . I would be way disadvantaged , as those guys would probably play a few times a week .

but as a golf pro , I think strength of field wins is the main objective in a good win

Definitely the wins, at that level the field is strong no matter what so even though the marquis players might not be in the field, it would still be huge to win anything on tour.

If I was a pro golfer, I would want wins to prolong my career. Every field, every week is filled with great golfers, and winning any professional tournament is a great achievement.

I'll take the combo platter for $1000 Alex. A bunch of wins, with one or two of those being against the best.

This question always comes down to who is doing the winning.
Give you an example.
Jordan Spieth. He has two wins. Both (according to him) were lucky.
Neither were against top fields.

Whose professional career would rather have? Lee Westwood or Angel Cabrera?

No one remembers second place. That should be enough for your answer. Sure there are lucky wins, outright wins. The legacy that remains is that you won. Not how. Someone with 20 wins don't have a * next to their name on how the field was ranked. He has 20 wins. Maybe the fame doesn't equate with some WGC wins and definitely not Majors, but compared to someone who has 1 win albeit a major, 20 wins sounds pretty good.

I am on a car state of mind today, so I'll throw this in. Do you want a no name car that is half the price but twice as fast as a Ferrari? Or do you just much rather have a Ferrari.

Last edited:
I'll take the wins and the cash

I'm still going with wins, if I was a Tour pro and over the course of a career I would have say 50 international wins in the Puerto Rico Open, John Deere Classic and FedEx St. Jude (typically lower profile tournaments) I would take that. I would have money, if I won all 4 in a year, I bet I would have a good shot at the FedEx Cup points, definitely enough points to make a ryder cup team and or qualify as a Captain's pick. I don't think I would be upset with that.

I am on a car state of mind today, so I'll throw this in. Do you want a no name car that is half the price but twice as fast as a Ferrari? Or do you just much rather have a Ferrari.
No-name car every time.

Sleepers win cash.

No-name car every time.

Sleepers win cash.

There you go, vanity and fame doesn't necessarily pay. Goes back to winning a whole bunch with cash in hand is better than only a major win.

I wonder how different the answers would be if Majors were out of the equation?

There you go, vanity and fame doesn't necessarily pay. Goes back to winning a whole bunch with cash in hand is better than only a major win.
No, it's just a poor example.

I'd still rather beat the best a few times than an inferior pool a bunch of times.

Back